MAC Primer

I have dry skin and I put moisturizer on, and then foundation and concealer. But, with the heat and everything, my makeup is sweating off. So, I bought MAC Primer. I've never used a primer before this. I did what the saleslady told me: Moisturizer, then primer, then foundation, etc. The primer REALLY dried out my skin and I couldn't even put on foundation because my skin was so dry. I don't know what to do now. Should I use another moisturizer? Can I put primer on first and then moisturizer, or will that just ruin the effect of primer? I'm using Ponds Moisturizer right now.

The MAC primer I use is MAC Prep + Prime spf 50, and that one is a little drying. I only use it when I know I'll be in the sun.

Try using Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer (there is a huge thread about it here - just search for it). Moisturizer, then primer, then foundation. That should help. I also love Bobbi Brown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base over moisturizer as a primer! Hope that helps!

Do all primers dry the skin like MAC? Cause, I'd really like to have my makeup stay put but if that means having bad makeup application due to dry skin, I'm not sure if I can do that.

I have never experienced dryness from Smashbox primers or from Monistat Chafing Gel - they make your skin sort of even and polished. It's hard to describe. Try the Monistat - you can get it at Wal-Mart for $6 or $8, so not much to lose, and it's a big tube!

I used to think primers were a way to get ripped off as I've always used moisturizer, then straight to foundation.

Honestly, I'd suggest Smashbox primers. They dry the instant they hit your skin and are AMAZING. I haven't had good luck with MAC's foundations or face products with the exception of a couple blushes I like. But that's just me. I have also tried Intuit's primer and Laura Mercier but they are both a little gooier and take longer to dry but very nice once dry. I guess the quick drying of Smashbox really spoiled me, LOL.

Just wondering what the benefits of a primer are....never tried it before. Also, I'm wondering if a primer would clog your pores?

They even out your skin, and allow your makeup to lay on top of your face, instead of settling into each and every pore and fine line. They can actually make you look younger (smooth out lines/pores), and a good primer will help your makeup stay on your skin, and keep oil at bay. For an inexpensive primer test, you can probably pick up a Smashbox sample at Nordstrom, or try the Monistat Chafing Gel - that's a good, low-cost alternative.

Primers can clog your pores, like any other makeup. Just wash your face before bed and you'll be fine!

^^^ Monistat is drying in the sense that it will keep you from getting so oily/sweaty (I use it under & between my boobs and where my butt meets my thigh when it's a hot and humid day!). But it won't dry out your skin.

Alright! And, one last question (I promise, haha), I have acne-prone skin so do you think is going to make me break out? I just recently cleared my skin up and I don't want to deal with blemishes again :s