MAC Brush Cleanser...how to use properly?

ellacoach

Feb 24, 2007
I just picked up the MAC brush cleanser a couple of days ago, and was wondering what the proper way to use this is? There were no directions on the bottle, and I tossed the box before I looked on the back for instructions.

I just cleaned my brushes by putting some of the cleanser in a small dish, swirling brush around in the dish and then blotting the brush on a paper towel. All of my brushes came out great except my bare minerals Kabuki brush. this brush sucked up all the cleanser and was so soapy that I had to rinse it with water. It's now all matted and yucky. It might be okay once it dries...I hope I haven't ruined it.

So I was basically looking for tips on how you all used this since I'm not sure I'm using it correctly. Thanks Ladies!

From what I read on the bottle, u are supposed to work the cleanser in until its soapy. Then you need to rinse off the brush until the water runs clean. But MAC doesn't really give great directions for using it either.

You should be rinsing off the brush cleaner until the water runs clean, then try to squeeze out the excess water with a paper towel over the sink, then lay the clean brushes on a paper towel to air dry overnight.

i usually wet the brush first, then pour a little bit of brush cleaner directly onto the brush. i swirl it around on the palm of my hand for a few seconds then rinse the brush with water (until the water runs clean) and squeeze out the excess. reshape your brush and lay it flat on a towel to dry. i usually let mine dry overnight.

I have the MAC brush cleaner too, and what i do is...

take a small bowl and put some luke warm water in it. (about 2 capfuls-using the cap on the MAC brush cleaner)
then i add some of the cleaner (1 cap full)
so pretty much a 2 to 1 ratio. but if I am cleaning brushes like a foundation brush or concealer(since the grime on them is a lot harder to completely get off), i do 1 cap of water and 2 caps cleaner.- a stronger mixture.

so then I take my brush and swirl it around in the bowl that has the mix in it, and the mix will become pretty cloudy with makeup from the brushes so I usually have to throw that out and then refill the bowl...
but anyways, I just keep swirling my brush in there until the water mix is clear, and then I rinse the brush under warm water, gently squeeze water out of the brush, and then lay it on its side to dry over the sink!

I just spent an hour last night cleaning my brushes!
Hope this helped

At the MAC counter, they told me to pour some on a tissue, then to rub my brush on the tissue. They told me that it was not a brush shampoo, but something to use when I need to switch colors. I use my philosophy cleanser to shampoo my brushes, then rinse until the water runs clean. I then reshape them and lay them on the side of the sink to dry. I think that bare escentuals makes a brush shampoo.