Food mac and cheese recipes

Apr 2, 2008
i tried searching the forum but didn't find anything related so here i go.

i made a mac and cheese recipe from rachel ray - mac and cheese with chicken & broccoli.

i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on making good mac and cheese. i have a hard time finding some good one's at restaurants. so far the best mac and cheese ive ever had is from this restaurant called taste on melrose in west hollywood. they have white chocolate truffle oil mac and cheese. its incredible!!

btw, my mac and cheese dish didnt really come out that great considering i strayed from the recipe and added sharp cheddar with smoked gouda.

I have 2 recipes that I love!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20063,00.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/12/martha-stewart-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe.html

I tend to tweak recipes if I want it to be a bit better for you- using skim milk, light butter and light cheeses. You'll have to up the flour mixture though for thickening usually then though. I've never tried using canned evaporated milk, but I think that could eliminate that problem and still give you the thickness, but not the same nutritional data as whole milk.

I use this one all the time now, It's especially yummy with better cheddar cheeses....

from cooksillustrated.com:

It's crucial to cook the pasta until tender--just past the "al dente" stage. In fact, overcooking is better than undercooking the pasta. Whole, low-fat, and skim milk all work well in this recipe. The recipe can be halved and baked in an 8-inch-square, broilersafe baking dish. If desired, offer celery salt or hot sauce (such as Tabasco) for sprinkling at the table.

Serves 6 to 8, or 10 to 12 as a side
Bread Crumb Topping
6 slices white sandwich bread (good-quality, about 6 ounces), torn into rough pieces
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold), cut into 6 pieces

Pasta and Cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon table salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
5 cups milk (see note)
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese , shredded (2 cups)
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese , shredded (2 cups)
1 teaspoon table salt

1. For the bread crumbs: Pulse bread and butter in food processor until crumbs are no larger than 1/8 inch, ten to fifteen 1-second pulses. Set aside.

2. For the pasta and cheese: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt; cook until pasta is tender. Drain pasta and set aside in colander.

3. In now-empty Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour, mustard, and cayenne (if using) and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly (mixture must reach full boil to fully thicken). Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes. Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt until cheeses are fully melted. Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.

4. Transfer mixture to broiler-safe 9-by 13-inch baking dish and sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs. Broil until crumbs are deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes, rotating pan if necessary for even browning. Cool about 5 minutes, then serve.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_20063,00.html

I tend to tweak recipes if I want it to be a bit better for you- using skim milk, light butter and light cheeses. You'll have to up the flour mixture though for thickening usually then though.

That Emeril recipe is the one I was going to suggest too! It's so good! I make it with whole wheat pasta, skim or 1% milk, reduced fat cheese, and I make my own breadcrumbs with whole wheat bread. It comes out FANTASTIC and it's actually somewhat healthy!!! :tup:

^ That one sounds good too. I don't know about the Velveeta though (always has a bad aftertaste to me)... it is probably not really evident w/ all the other cheeses.

I make really good mac & cheese. I think the secret is using a really good, sharp cheddar with lots of flavour and stirring the roux constantly (and adding milk gradually) so that it's nice and smooth. I find it takes a while to make but it's worth it! I also like to add seasonings to the cheese sauce such as dijon mustard and a bit of garlic.

Although I don't have any recipes that I've actually tried, Les Halles has a good one (though it isn't made with traditional chedder) and Cheesecake Factory has Fried Macaroni and Cheese Balls that are amazing!

I used to love my mom's homemade mac and cheese as a kid...she baked it in the oven and it was really cheesey and gooey and I think she used Velveeta. Do you any of you have a rich, decadent mac and cheese recipe that you love?