Mabel not for me??!!!!

mk78

Nov 4, 2007
Hey ladies, it has been a while since I've posted here, but I have been in and out and been keeping track with all the lovely purchases (still drooling over the cerise ostrich daria hobo that I've seen on here!!!) I did need advice though. I have accumulated a few mulberry bags over the space of 5 months, in particular bayswaters as I feel they are the perfect shape, size and form for my lifestyle. Can be dressy and casual. I'm still drooling over the tan ostrich version on NAP!!! One day, one day.... Now I have realised that the large red goatskin mabel I acquired from the outlets, had still not been carried and so I did take it for a test drive last weekend, just popping in the car etc. and is it just me or is the bag slightly wonky and feels unbalanced when carried in the crook of the arm?! It felt like the luggage tag did pull the bag, but I wouldn't dream of taking it off as I love the look of it on. Dare I say it, I actually didn't enjoy carrying the bag at all. It felt heavy and cumbersome, no matter what contents I carried, or how the contents were arranged. It has also raised questions as to whether I should actually let go of the bag and use the funds for another bayswater or maybe save up for a gorgeous RN daria hobo!!! I don't know if I am doing the right thing though, as I know that a large red mabel is highly sought after and rare and don't want to kick myself if I do part with it. Is it just me or do any of you with large mabels feel the same about carrying it?

Mk I personally love the large Mabel but if you have her for a while & still haven't used her much, maybe it's a sign that the bag is not for you.
Mulberry isn't cheap. So I'd suggest you would rather sell it & get the money to purchase other style that you would really,really love & carry in regular basis, rather than having a beautiful red Mabel inside her dustbag all the time. HTH

Hi there!

I've a large Mabel in black, and can't say I've noticed it feeling awkward - then again, my bag is usually stuffed quite full, so the luggage tag wouldn't be weighing it down

Weird, cos I find Bays a bit strange for me - can't keep it on my shoulder yet feels funny on my forearm - we all have different needs/opinions etc, but personally, if you really don't feel comfortable with it, I'd say sell it & get another style you feel happier with - sorry!

I had a lovely medium red goatskin Mabel and didn´t get along with it. Don´t know what it was that annoyed me really but probably it was just my love for the Darwin bags?
Anyway, I let her go and haven´t regretted it since although a very sought after and admired bag.

(Also was very proud of myself for letting a bag go so tried the "one goes and another comes" rule. And ended up with three new ones!)

Good luck with your decision!

I've owned the small, medium and large and TBH my least favourite, for the reasons you stated, was the large.
I just couldn't get to grips with it and let it go after one outing!
I love the small and medium one though.
I think that if you're not loving it let it go and put the money towards a bag you'll use

Thank you so much for all your honest opinions. Rachiem I think you are totally on the ball especially if you have tried all three sizes. After just one outing as you said I also felt deep down that although beautiful, this bag was just not for me. It was really uncomfortable. And you're right, it's just going to go back in it's dustbag and sit there, a beautiful glistening red trophy, nothing else, and I would much rather see that bag toted around by someone who loves it and fits in with their lifestyle. Suppose only way to learn what does work and doesn't is through trial and error, as expensive it may be at times!!!

Hi MK, i had a medium mabel and also didn't get on with it, it drove me nuts, the only mulberry I owned that would fall completely off my arm. I rehomed it and was glad of it.

But I still admire them on others :smile:

Hmmm so it's not just large mabels?! Interesting..I bought my mother a brown snakeskin mabel (regular) and she's not really had the chance to wear it. Wonder whether she'll say the same about it

Hi MK, I think the usabilty responses will be mixed - KLP and I had the same problems with our medium mabels, others will swear they are the most comfortable bag, I sometimes wonder if it has something to do with shoulder width and body dimensions. My shoulders are quite narrow and the mabel straps are quite wide, they just never fit on my shoulder even when trying to tuck one under the other, it still fell off.

I have a medium mabel and I love it! It's a perfect size and fits really nicely over the shoulder, although I mostly carry it in my hand. But if it's not working for you, then move on and find something that does :biggrin:

Hi MK, I have a Large Mabel in Black. I used to have the problem of the handles slipping off.
But after some time i think i have "mastered" the technique! =) I bring it to work everyday~ but i have broad shoulders so i think that helps a little.

But if you don't really use your mabel~ you should let it go~(to raise funds for a bag you will use more often) But give Mabel another chance!

Hi there!

I've a large Mabel in black, and can't say I've noticed it feeling awkward - then again, my bag is usually stuffed quite full, so the luggage tag wouldn't be weighing it down

Weird, cos I find Bays a bit strange for me - can't keep it on my shoulder yet feels funny on my forearm - we all have different needs/opinions etc, but personally, if you really don't feel comfortable with it, I'd say sell it & get another style you feel happier with - sorry!

I agree with Lady F. I love my large Mabel - and also my mini. Couldn't get on with the regular size at all, though - too boxy for me.

If you don't love it, let it go. Don't hang onto it just because it's rare or covetable - all the more reason to sell it, you should get a good price :tup:

Hi MK, I can relate to that feeling. I love bayswaters and their shape work perfectly for me, and I cant get along with any bulkier bags such as Roxy or mabel - they are just not for me. Still I find them beautiful, and always admire other girls mabels and Roxannes - but have to accept that this is not a shape that I feel comfortable carrying. You will find other girls that love their Roxys, and cant get along with Bayswaters at all - don't feel bad letting a coveted bag go, if you don't use it, its probably not the right shape for you.

Thanks everyone! I feel more confident with my decision and will be happy to let mabel go now. I could always give mabel another go if I wanted by poaching my mum's snakeskin one!!! As of now though, I guess it's more bayswaters for me!!!