LVs for the Over Fifties?

Mayfly285

Sep 19, 2012
Hi everyone; I hope you can offer me some advice!

I’m a self-confessed (and, amongst my friends, renowned!) bagaholic but my loyalty has always been towards Mulberry and, occasionally, Chanel.

Recently, I’ve been looking at the Speedy 30 as a lightweight and practical bag but worry that I might be too old for this style and/or the monogram print? My friend thinks I should have carried them in my 30s or not at all!

Finally, she says that you see LV “everywhere” and on “everyone” - I’m not quite sure what she means by that!

I love the LV prints and bags but don’t want to look ridiculous!

Any thoughts are gratefully received!

I'm almost 60 and have been carrying a Speedy 30 for 17 years. My only regret is that I don't own a Speedy 35. Please don't feel you are too old, no way are you to old. Go for it. As far as seeing Speedy's everywhere, lately I've been seeing alot of fake bags of many different designs, Hermes Birkin is one of the main one I have seen. The only reason I brought this up is because I just bought a Garden Party. I bought it like my Lv bags because I love them and enjoy wearing them. I feel that being almost 60 it gives me the right to not give a fig what people think and they can talk about my bag obsession as they watch my rear end walk away, I hate-haters. Sorry didn't mean to rant. :biggrin:

Buy what you like. I don't really think LV bags are restricted to certain age groups, especially not the Speedy.

When she says that everyone everywhere has LV bags, I think she's just saying that LV is common. And I do think she's right about that. LV is pretty common. Whenever I go out shopping I swear that I see at least ten of them, usually Speedies and Neverfulls.

I am 51, bought an Empreinte Speedy B25 in Noir a little over a year ago, and it quickly became one of my most used bags.

I’m not sure how your friend can simultaneously say that LV is on “everyone” and also say you’re too old for it. If “everyone” wears it, doesn’t that mean people of all ages? :confused1:

Some people don’t like the canvas prints, especially monogram and DE, because they are so common/popular, and that is a legit concern if you want to be different and not carry a bag lots of other people have. But that’s not related to age.

A few months ago, I saw an elderly woman walking with her husband. She was carrying a monogram Speedy (I think it was a 25). The bag was well-patina’d and I imagined she and that bag had been through a lot together. She looked dignified and fabulous!

The Speedy is a classic, right up there with Chanel Flaps and Hermes Kelly’s. IMO it’s ageless. If it works for you, go for it! :biggrin:

I'm almost 60 and have been carrying a Speedy 30 for 17 years. My only regret is that I don't own a Speedy 35. Please don't feel you are too old, no way are you to old. Go for it. As far as seeing Speedy's everywhere, lately I've been seeing alot of fake bags of many different designs, Hermes Birkin is one of the main one I have seen. The only reason I brought this up is because I just bought a Garden Party. I bought it like my Lv bags because I love them and enjoy wearing them. I feel that being almost 60 it gives me the right to not give a fig what people think and they can talk about my bag obsession as they watch my rear end walk away, I hate-haters. Sorry didn't mean to rant. :biggrin:

Bless you, Purseloco! [emoji8] You’ve got great attitude (and style!) and I could learn a lot from adopting some of that! Where I live in the UK there’s a definite “bag hierarchy”, with Hermès at the top, followed by Chanel, with LV/Mulberry a rung lower down. I’ve always loved Mulberry but am aware that it’s becoming the middle class mums’ bag of choice, purely for its countryside style, rather than because they love the brand. I don’t like the new styles but am really drawn towards the practicality and timeless style of LV ...
Time to act?! [emoji6]

Reactions: Fernsmum
Buy what you like. I don't really think LV bags are restricted to certain age groups, especially not the Speedy.

When she says that everyone everywhere has LV bags, I think she's just saying that LV is common. And I do think she's right about that. LV is pretty common. Whenever I go out shopping I swear that I see at least ten of them, usually Speedies and Neverfulls.

There you are! It’s like the classic oak Bayswater; I see a lady with one and, although it’s lovely, think “Here we go again!” I don’t want to be a walking cliché or look like mutton dressed up as lamb (particularly with the limited editions, which I really love!) [emoji6]

There you are! It’s like the classic oak Bayswater; I see a lady with one and, although it’s lovely, think “Here we go again!” I don’t want to be a walking cliché or look like mutton dressed up as lamb (particularly with the limited editions, which I really love!) [emoji6]
I can definitely understand not wanting to look like a cliche. At the same time, when a bag is as popular as the Speedy is, it's usually for good reason, like the fact that people find them easy and classic in styling and quite functional in use.