sonya

Feb 23, 2006
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/09/business/EU-France-LVMH.php

LVMH reports higher third-quarter sales

dot_h.gif

The Associated Press
Published: October 9, 2008
dot_h.gif

PARIS: French luxury goods empire LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA said Thursday sales rose six percent in the third quarter as demand for its wines, clothing, handbags and jewelry held up despite the weakening global economy.
The maker of Hennessy cognac and scents such as J'Adore and Miss Dior Cherie didn't provide a third-quarter sales total, but reported nine-month sales of €12 billion ($16.4 billion), up 4.5 percent from €11.4 billion a year ago.
For the third quarter, LVMH said only that sales climbed 6 percent on an organic basis — taking into account acquisitions and disposals and exchange rates.
LVMH sales rose 5 percent in the first six months of the year, but since then economies in Europe and North America have shifted towards recession under the weight of the global financial crisis.
The maker of Moet & Chandon and Dom Perignon champagne said its wine and spirits division's sales fell 2 percent in the first nine months of the year — the same pace of decline as in the first half. The company said strong growth particularly in China and Russia has been offset by a "contrasting situation" in the rest of the world.
dot_h.gif

The fashion and leather business, know for brands such as Kenzo, Fendi and Givenchy, and currently the biggest contributor to LVMH's profits, reported sales growth of 5 percent to €4.24 billion ($5.8 billion).
LVMH confirmed its target of a "tangible increase" in 2008 earnings, "despite the current global economic and financial crisis." Last year LVMH's net profit rose 8 percent to €2.33 billion.

Will be curious to see their balance sheets in the last quarter.....I think it will be totally different!!

I agree...would love to hear about this quarter. I'll bet the bulk of the profits came from consumer purchases that occured before the last price increase.

Hmmm...ever wonder why increases occur a few weeks before the end of a quarter? I do at times.

I agree...would love to hear about this quarter. I'll bet the bulk of the profits came from consumer purchases that occured before the last price increase.

Hmmm...ever wonder why increases occur a few weeks before the end of a quarter? I do at times.

I'm thinking the same thing here, too.

I agree and am sure they already are and the prices will keep going up as the inflation rises! I am going to declare my home a Bag Free Zone!:blink:

I don't think they will raise prices again until the economy is better. And I doubt sales will be up next quarter, this report doesn't include the time period where the stock market started going down substantially.