LV Won't Give Verbal Authentication

The Snorks said:
When I asked the SA at the flagship store, I never mentioned that I purchased the items from eBay, and I never mentioned that I purchased them from eBay when the SA at Neiman said that she would take a look at my bags. Honestly, I think that LV's reluctance to authenticate bags comes less from their concern about fakes or superfakes (although that is a factor) and more from wanting the consumer to buy directly from them. What better way to persuade a person to buy from LV than to tell them that essentially all bags bought from any other source than a boutique or eLux, are fake? Even better, to stop authenticating bags?

I am willing to spend more if I know that should I lose interest in a bag, that I could sell the bag for a good price on eBay and use that cash to purchase a new one; shouldn't LVMH be happy that they could sell more merch this way?

At the heart of LV, they are completely against the parallel market so I understand why they don't want to help it in any way possible. :flowers:

Lola24 said:
Yep, I think that's the loop hole too! Say it's a gift, I just think they are sick of the ebay situations and they don't want to take the liability risk since there are so many fakes out there..... there are probably some SA's out there that have been fooled.....

It would seem funny saying it was a gift since I bought it used and is already slightly patined -- like they would suspect I was lying. I'm sure they are hearing "it's a gift" more and more often.

I know the only way you can be sure is to buy from eluxury or the store, but it was nice to have the ebay option to save a couple of hundred, depending on the item.

All I know is that I was at the SF store in Union Square a couple of weeks ago and they weren't very friendly or knowledgeable. I went across the street to Neman's and bought from them because the SA's there were nicer and much more helpful.

whatzerface said:
All I know is that I was at the SF store in Union Square a couple of weeks ago and they weren't very friendly or knowledgeable. I went across the street to Neman's and bought from them because the SA's there were nicer and much more helpful.
Exactly! The woman who helped me at the Neiman store was incredibly nice and I felt bad that I couldn't reciprocate her kindness by buying the cozy purse from her; I had to buy it from the flagship store and though the SA who helped with the cozy purse was nice, others were not. The SA whom I had initially asked to look at my bags was there and when he saw me at the register, he started calling my SA's name. Whatever, I won't be going back there. If I buy another retail piece (which I will), it won't be from that store--it's eLux or Neiman for me!

jello_1955 said:
It would seem funny saying it was a gift since I bought it used and is already slightly patined -- like they would suspect I was lying. I'm sure they are hearing "it's a gift" more and more often.

I know the only way you can be sure is to buy from eluxury or the store, but it was nice to have the ebay option to save a couple of hundred, depending on the item.

Not necessarily... because the bag is used, it can considered a hand-me-down. I give my sis handbags all the time, and she almost never buys designer bags because she knows I'll give some to her when I get sick of them, or no longer have use for them.

The Snorks said:
Exactly! The woman who helped me at the Neiman store was incredibly nice and I felt bad that I couldn't reciprocate her kindness by buying the cozy purse from her; I had to buy it from the flagship store and though the SA who helped with the cozy purse was nice, others were not. The SA whom I had initially asked to look at my bags was there and when he saw me at the register, he started calling my SA's name. Whatever, I won't be going back there. If I buy another retail piece (which I will), it won't be from that store--it's eLux or Neiman for me!

Well I'm kinda glad to know it just isn't me they treat badly. (if you know what I mean) I don't understand why they feel the need to treat people like that.

diamondfericia said:
Even spore wouldn't verbally verify.. They would tell you that we have to pay a certain amt to be sent to france to verify...

Huh? That's something I've not heard about from my SA.:wtf: Pay for it to be verified? Then does that mean that they will give you a written proof that it's not auth? Doesn't seem to make sense since they never give any written proof of authenticity as it's a standard practice with major luxury brands.

*confused*:shrugs:

I didn't realize you bought the bag from Lorieals. I am 10000% sure it is authentic. Lori is one of the most reputable/honest sellers I know. I have purchased from her without any hesitation.

I think that some fakes are so good its hard for the SAs to know. Lately I have been dealing with alot of stupid SAs who dont know their line let alone the difference between a fake or not.

I was told at the LV in the Dallas Galleria that they don't do verbal authentications. They will let you compare your bag with one of theirs if they have it. The SA was nice and authenticated my wallet anyway. I guess it depends on who to talk to. I never told the guy that I got the wallet on ebay.