LV wallets- mono or vernis? Is vernis worth the extra $$?

nuhtalie

Mar 5, 2011
I've been contemplating on LV sarah/international wallet and have always loved the vernis especially its a little different compared to monogram as there's alot of knock-offs and its abit more popular. Is it worth paying a couple hundred more for the vernis or is it not worth the trouble and money as i hear vernis SLG are more prone to issues like colour transfers. I know monogram is very durable and guaranteed to last me a lifetime, however im not so sure about the vernis. Would be easier to get scratches? Harder to maintain as it is more delicate than monogram.

I looked at the Sarah wallet in pomme vernis but I ended up choosing a patent Chanel wallet in red, I keep this wallet in a LV dustbag because after only owning this wallet for three weeks its already got 2 tiny little marks on 2 corners there hardly noticeable, thank god but I know that they are there so as much as I love my Chanel wallet I dont know if I would get it again, I think I would of chose the Sarah in MC but I didnt even consider the MC print at the time, maybe if you were to get Amarante or Bleu infini you might be safer as ther much darker thats probably what I would do.GLD

lv sarah in vernis sure is pretty! canvas is more durable than vernis though. i was in the same dilemma as you about a month ago. i was choosing between the mc or vernis in sarah and was even contemplating mc or vernis zippy. i ended up getting the mc sarah. if you can live with the fingerprints and scratches issue that comes with the vernis line, go for it! i love love love it in amarante or rouge fauviste.

I loovveee the rouge, though im not too sure if i can live with the scratches.... its one of those things that when it happens i would be really devastated but i get over.. or if it happens after the wallet isnt really considered "new" anymore then i can get over scratches...
Hmmmm i know monogram is really durable and they will last a life time, but i just really think vernis is beautiful and more exclusive as alot more people have the monogram and alot of people have it in fakes...

As someone who has carried Vernis SLGs for 10+ years, I can tell you to not be fooled by the shiny lusciousness. Vernis is VERY durable and for me has withstood the test of time just like Mono & Damier. I don't baby my LV nor do I abuse them, there are no scratches on any of my Vernis. I love all the color inside my bag and am always looking for LV to launch Mono/Damier SLGs in Vernis like the Cosmetique next month. When that happens, I replace the Mono/Damier with the Vernis. So no worries!

Get the vernis, it is much more durable than you think. I bought the Sarah in pomme in September last year & it still looks brand new. I am not one to baby my wallets, & have even dropped it onto gravel, & not a scratch on it.

I have a wallet in mono & epi, but I love my vernis. I am even considering getting another one when new colors are released.

Get the vernis, it is much more durable than you think. I bought the Sarah in pomme in September last year & it still looks brand new. I am not one to baby my wallets, & have even dropped it onto gravel, & not a scratch on it.

I have a wallet in mono & epi, but I love my vernis. I am even considering getting another one when new colors are released.

hi, do u have any issues with colour transfers and such? I always imagine it is a common issue with a vernis wallet since they say colour transfers are easy if something artificially coloured presses agaisnt vernis for a long time, and someting like that is most likely to happen with a vernis wallet in a handbag

As someone who has carried Vernis SLGs for 10+ years, I can tell you to not be fooled by the shiny lusciousness. Vernis is VERY durable and for me has withstood the test of time just like Mono & Damier. I don't baby my LV nor do I abuse them, there are no scratches on any of my Vernis. I love all the color inside my bag and am always looking for LV to launch Mono/Damier SLGs in Vernis like the Cosmetique next month. When that happens, I replace the Mono/Damier with the Vernis. So no worries!

That's good to know! thanks for ur insight...
have your vernis items scratch easy?

I have a friend who has used her mono wallet for over ten years, and it still looks almost new. When I was choosing a wallet I went with the mono International and have not regretted it. The vernis choices are beautiful too. Good luck!

I definitely think they are worth it, the pop of colour just adds a bit of wow factor.

I have had my rouge fauviste zippy for 6 months now and there's not a scratch on it. I don't baby it either. It bumps around in my bag with my pomme keyholder - this actually gets quite a bit of use as well and not a scratch on it either!

I've owned a Vernis wallet (Bleu Nuit, so not a light colour but not as dark as something like Amarante) for nearly two years now, and I certainly don't go out of my way to be careful with it and it still looks pretty good - there are a few tiny dints in the leather from being pressed up against stuff in my handbag, but no scratches and no colour transfer, though it's been pressed up against papers and receipts and ink and god knows what else. Canvas would definitely be more durable, though, but Vernis isn't particularly fragile from my experience.

I only get SLGs in vernis and have never had a problem. My bag is always full of them along with my bulky keys and random other stuff (ID with lanyard, chapstick, coins, phone, etc) and they all look as perfect today as the day that I got them. As for the color transfer issue, I've never come even close to this being a problem. I actually found it surprisingly easy to change my habits so that I wouldn't have to worry about color transfer. Just immediately throw out receipts that you don't need and put the ones that you do need directly into your wallet. If I need to write a list or carry a business card, I keep them in my agenda so I never have any other type of paper floating around in my bag. Good luck deciding (get the vernis!!) :balloon:

vernis does look much better, but.. it's much more delicate, and you'll be touching it awful lot so all the fingerprints and other things show really easily.

I've been wanting sarah wallet in vernis so long, but in the end realized that I don't want to handle my wallets carefully all the time and worry. Especially if you use it during warm weather it can catch colorprints from other objects and kind of.. "melt" like some people have experienced here.
Maybe just have it for special occations? :shrugs: