LV that doesn't use leather?

stayseeing

Nov 12, 2011
Hi! I've been wanting to buy the Azur Neverfull for a while now as my first LV. However, I would like to cut back on leather purchases because I became a vegetarian a few months ago, and since then I have become more..aware of what I buy I guess?

I was wondering what specific products you know of from LV that do not use leather or fur? Anything from scarves to wallets (if there are any), etc.

Any/all feedback is appreciated. :biggrin:
*Also, if you're a vegetarian (not necessarily vegan), how do you handle buying leather? I keep going back and forth.
**P.S.S - I searched the forum already with multiple keywords, but I couldn't find a post that really answered my question.

The key pouches are just treated canvas. It is great as a small wallet for when you are going out, Mine has lasted for 8 years and still looks like new. I've also stuffed wads of bills and cards when I was traveling and the zipper still holds up!

Take a look on the LV website and browse around. Your best bet may be the Small,leather goods section. Perhaps some of the toiletry bags or mini pouchettes don't have leather. I think unfortunately all of their bags have some sort of leather.

Good luck!

coquettebags said:
The key pouches are just treated canvas. It is great as a small wallet for when you are going out, Mine has lasted for 8 years and still looks like new. I've also stuffed wads of bills and cards when I was traveling and the zipper still holds up!

Take a look on the LV website and browse around. Your best bet may be the Small,leather goods section. Perhaps some of the toiletry bags or mini pouchettes don't have leather. I think unfortunately all of their bags have some sort of leather.

Good luck!

Thank you! I was looking at the pochettes actually. It doesn't say leather but I was wondering about the little flap?

I think so too about the bags :sad:

iPhone/iPad/Sunglasses cases, all are canvas with microfiber lining. The canvas wallets though have leather lining and/or trim on all I'm pretty sure. But you can go crazy with jewelry, scarves etc... (the pochettes do have leather trim or tabs)

The answer to your question about how vegetarians handle it.. is really a personal choice. It depends on your reasons for being vegetarian. The vegetarians I happen to know are only because they just don't like eating meat, or think it's "gross" to eat it, for health reasons etc... and all of them carry or wear leather. Of course if you are against using animals for all food and products, then that's a different story. And only you can decide that. Just follow your own heart. :smile:

coquettebags said:

Good luck!

I agree about the key pouches. I bought mine for a small wallet and now use it everyday. I pack it full of cards and cash. I love how small and compact it is to fit in pockets. The only thing that isn't my fave is that after a long time the gold wears off. But that's nothing really and hardly noticeable.

I'm a vegetarian, too. :smile:
For many years I didn't buy leather, but I've always been a handbag fanatic, and eventually I just started carrying it again. It happened in 1996 when J Crew released this adorable brown suede tote that I had to have.

Yes, the key pouches are leather free..I can't think of much else would be. The canvas wallets are lined in leather, I believe. Pochettes have the leather tabs and straps...maybe the agendas? Although the interior in those may also be leather... I'm not sure what the scarves are made of..I know that a lot of vegetarians that I know won't buy silk because of the silkworms, and I'm sure the winter scarves are wool blends..which are also issues for very militant "no animal products" buyers.

When it comes down to it, buying responsible is a slippery slope and is very difficult. It's easy to not buy leather products, but then by buying LV (non leather items) you're still supporting a business that is a HUGE contributor to the leather and exotic skins industry. I wouldn't carry a python bag, or a fox tail, or fur...but..again, I support a company that DOES do business in exotic skins etc... It's really hard to draw the line.

Oh, I think the 4 key holder that I have is leather free! That would be a cute little non leather accessory!

trumanfinn said:
I'm a vegetarian, too. :smile:
For many years I didn't buy leather, but I've always been a handbag fanatic, and eventually I just started carrying it again. It happened in 1996 when J Crew released this adorable brown suede tote that I had to have.

Yes, the key pouches are leather free..I can't think of much else would be. The canvas wallets are lined in leather, I believe. Pochettes have the leather tabs and straps...maybe the agendas? Although the interior in those may also be leather... I'm not sure what the scarves are made of..I know that a lot of vegetarians that I know won't buy silk because of the silkworms, and I'm sure the winter scarves are wool blends..which are also issues for very militant "no animal products" buyers.

When it comes down to it, buying responsible is a slippery slope and is very difficult. It's easy to not buy leather products, but then by buying LV (non leather items) you're still supporting a business that is a HUGE contributor to the leather and exotic skins industry. I wouldn't carry a python bag, or a fox tail, or fur...but..again, I support a company that DOES do business in exotic skins etc... It's really hard to draw the line.

Oh, I think the 4 key holder that I have is leather free! That would be a cute little non leather accessory!

That's a very interesting point. I'm so stuck in the middle :sad: I need to think about it. Tough decision!

lshcat said:
iPhone/iPad/Sunglasses cases, all are canvas with microfiber lining. The canvas wallets though have leather lining and/or trim on all I'm pretty sure. But you can go crazy with jewelry, scarves etc... (the pochettes do have leather trim or tabs)

The answer to your question about how vegetarians handle it.. is really a personal choice. It depends on your reasons for being vegetarian. The vegetarians I happen to know are only because they just don't like eating meat, or think it's "gross" to eat it, for health reasons etc... and all of them carry or wear leather. Of course if you are against using animals for all food and products, then that's a different story. And only you can decide that. Just follow your own heart. :smile:

I'm doing it for the animals mainly, but meat also grosses me out sometimes. Sigh.

I too am a vegetarian but I did it for health reasons. My daughter is a vegan and she doesn't use anything from any sort of animals. I inherited a bunch of uggs, leather juicy bags, her goose down comforter, etc... Shes 4 years now I think vegan.

The inhumane factory farming is disgusting. But the leather wouldn't be there if they hadn't killed the cow for meat. Now my daughter will argue w/ me that in India and Africa they raise a certain cow just for its hide and the workers die annually from all the chemicals. I tried to research that and couldn't find the answer.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide. I think a neverfull w/ the tiny amount of leather on the edges is okay. The leather comes from slaughter factories that have already killed the cow for the meat.

Have you ever heard of Susan Nichole? She makes a vegan line of bags that are very affordable and they are getting more popular every day. OR Stella McCartney makes high end vegan bags. I mean HIGH END! $$$$

XOXO

I too am a vegetarian but I did it for health reasons. My daughter is a vegan and she doesn't use anything from any sort of animals. I inherited a bunch of uggs, leather juicy bags, her goose down comforter, etc... Shes 4 years now I think vegan.

The inhumane factory farming is disgusting. But the leather wouldn't be there if they hadn't killed the cow for meat. Now my daughter will argue w/ me that in India and Africa they raise a certain cow just for its hide and the workers die annually from all the chemicals. I tried to research that and couldn't find the answer.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide. I think a neverfull w/ the tiny amount of leather on the edges is okay. The leather comes from slaughter factories that have already killed the cow for the meat.

Have you ever heard of Susan Nichole? She makes a vegan line of bags that are very affordable and they are getting more popular every day. OR Stella McCartney makes high end vegan bags. I mean HIGH END! $$$$

XOXO

Thanks for all your information. I found another thread too (http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-reference-library/is-the-leather-free-range-400120.html) that says supposedly the cows are raised free range, which makes me feel a lot better.

I was under the impression initially that LV was all leather, so once I found out only minimal leather was used on some items, I was relieved, but lately I was battling w/ even that small amount. I think I will still get the Neverfull after reading all of these comments. I still will be conscious of my purchases though.

I have heard of Stella McCartney, but yes very HE! A little to HE for me. I've also heard of Matt & Nat which is supposed to be really good as well.

I try to eat a vegetarian diet but I'm not consistent because I don't want to make waves with family/friends (dinner parties in people's homes or restaurants with nothing veggie on the menu). I'm mainly motivated by health/weight concerns and simply that the taste/smell/texture of meat doesn't appeal to me. I probably eat 18 out of 21 meals a week vegetarian. I do care about animals and the environment and try to think about them when I buy something.

I like LV and other brands (such as LAMB) that use minimal leather. I will use my existing leather shoes, UGGs, bags but try to get non-leather replacements when I need them. I saw an 'LV' bag once, a tote with even the handles made of mono, but I'm not sure if it was genuine. I think it would be a good idea, if something is 95% vegan and someone won't buy it because it has leather handles, doesn't it make sense to offer it in 100% vegan?

I don't know.
Vegans are funny that way.
For instance... LV used mink and other fur in some items, specialty etc...
Vegans usually boycott those types of designers.
Maybe it depends on how hard core you are.
My daughter use to work for PETA so.... you get the picture over in my world. :-O

I try to eat a vegetarian diet but I'm not consistent because I don't want to make waves with family/friends (dinner parties in people's homes or restaurants with nothing veggie on the menu). I'm mainly motivated by health/weight concerns and simply that the taste/smell/texture of meat doesn't appeal to me. I probably eat 18 out of 21 meals a week vegetarian. I do care about animals and the environment and try to think about them when I buy something.

I like LV and other brands (such as LAMB) that use minimal leather. I will use my existing leather shoes, UGGs, bags but try to get non-leather replacements when I need them. I saw an 'LV' bag once, a tote with even the handles made of mono, but I'm not sure if it was genuine. I think it would be a good idea, if something is 95% vegan and someone won't buy it because it has leather handles, doesn't it make sense to offer it in 100% vegan?

I agree about the 95% vs 100% thing. It makes sense, but I know a lot of people like the fact that it has leather, minimal or not.

I was going to buy UGGs until I learned about the sheepskin and the mistreatment they go through. It seems a little hypocritical of me to not buy UGGs but will buy LV, but it's something that I can explain to myself I guess?

I also continue to use my other animal products that I previously bought.

Thanks for all your information. I found another thread too (http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-reference-library/is-the-leather-free-range-400120.html) that says supposedly the cows are raised free range, which makes me feel a lot better.

I was under the impression initially that LV was all leather, so once I found out only minimal leather was used on some items, I was relieved, but lately I was battling w/ even that small amount. I think I will still get the Neverfull after reading all of these comments. I still will be conscious of my purchases though.

I have heard of Stella McCartney, but yes very HE! A little to HE for me. I've also heard of Matt & Nat which is supposed to be really good as well.

Matt & Nat bags are fantastic and durable. I have a few and they are great. My friend (who did her Masters in Environmental Studies) loves Matt & Nat because not only are they vegan, but they also recycle bottles into their bags.