LV: Status Symbol or Really Beautiful Handbags?

I agree with crystalrnc, it's true that most people only want LV because of the brand, and that if they were it, its a sign of status. But it's really funny because all the people who supposedly wanted it for the sign of status are choosing all the cheaper items, like neverfull or speedy especially in mono, because it's LV trademark and those are the items which get replicated the most.

Personally, I like LV because of the design and also the quality. I know that LV has a very big mark up price, but that's also what ur payin for their name.
I recently got my Courtney bag, and I chose that one because it's a new style and not many people have it. I also plan to keep it for a very long time, so its a good investment.

I suppose it's probably both. I guess we wouldn't be carrying them if no one knew about the brand. Then again, we wouldn't be carrying them if we hated the sight of them, we don't just carry something we think is ugly because it is a 'status symbol'. Also if all we cared about was the looks and status then we'd probably be carrying fakes - you need to care about quality, craftsmanship etc to pay LV's prices.

Maybe (in general) people come for the status and stay for the quality/beauty?

I suppose it's probably both. I guess we wouldn't be carrying them if no one knew about the brand. Then again, we wouldn't be carrying them if we hated the sight of them, we don't just carry something we think is ugly because it is a 'status symbol'. Also if all we cared about was the looks and status then we'd probably be carrying fakes - you need to care about quality, craftsmanship etc to pay LV's prices.

Maybe (in general) people come for the status and stay for the quality/beauty?

Good observation!

I've been thinking about this lately - I'm waffling a bit now because I've had a chance to examine some authentic LV up close and I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

For a long time I really, really wanted something in mono or white MC - none of the other LV materials appeal to me at all. It's strange because in any other context I loathe anything brown whatsoever and anything with logos all over it (I do like Coach and L.A.M.B bags but only their more understated ones).

I think for me I wouldn't say "status" because that word seems negative to me (showing off to poor people that you can afford something they can't) but more "self-esteem" to know that I have worked hard and gotten to the point in my life that I can afford something I always thought only "wealthy" people could have.

Oddly I'd rather have a wallet or pouchette that most people would never see than a bag - purely for my own enjoyment and knowledge that I've earned one, not to show "the world at large" that I can afford it!

I think your SO is not alone. There are lots of people who don't appreciate the brand. Some though, make a mistake when they lump everyone into one category and make generalizations based on their own preconceived ideas. There is not one reason we all like LVs and none of us knows what anyone else can afford based on the bag they carry. I can't tell what anyone can afford unless I'm looking at their bank account balance. For me, the Monogram and the contrast of the vachetta is what made me notice LV. The only status I feel when I carry one is the status that comes from owning and carrying an accessory that I love.

I'm glad the only person who knows what I can afford is me; and if others see me and choose to make certain assumptions... they just don't know.:smile:

Last edited:
For me I carry LV for quality, beauty and I love the rich history of it. I also try to pick my bags from the classic line to they are always in style.

I think for some people it is a status symbol, and I agree with the posters who say that is why people carry fake bags. why would you buy a fake other than for it to look like a status symbol? They aren't well made etc. However it is ironic because fakes are the furthest thing from a status symbol.

Some ladies here care a lot for the design and materials of a bag, I guess for them is about a beautiful bag with great craftsmanship... They even pay more for bags that don't have logos on it (Like Suhali, Nomade, Epi, etc) or if the choose a Monogram or Damier bag is because they really like the style.

Yet, others only buy bags to be recognized, they even feel insulted when someone ask them if their bag is a fake, or don't recognize the brand inmediately or confuses some LV prints with other brand... For them is just a status symbol, they want people to now they're carrying a $715 Speedy.