LV refused to repair my wallet, any suggestions other than taking it to my cobbler?

Can you go to another LV store perhaps someone else looking at it would be willing to fix it. I would try that and if again they tell you they can't then take it to a clobber it would cost you less and it doesn't matter because LV won't fix it.

As for having it for 7 years i don't think should be an issue my noe was coming apart and i have had it for 8-10 years and they were going to fix it. I didn't because i changed my mind but they never told me they couldn't because it was past a certain time

Yeah, I agree with everyone else, just take it to the cobbler.
LV wouldn't fix my dad's Mono billfold awhile back because the canvas was cracking so he just ended up getting a new wallet.

This is a very sad thread for me - I adore LV, but I also want good customer service and have had Coach bags repaired after 10+ years, or if they couldn't be repaired a credit given towards another bag. However I think that even Coach is cutting back on repairs and leaning more towards credits now. But I would like to think that given reasonable wear that these expensive items will last a really long time. If the wallet had been used every day for 7 years perhaps this wear & tear would be reasonable, but it had not. Of course LV doesn't know it wasn't used every day for the past 7 years, but I would like to think they would stand behind their product.

This is a very sad thread for me - I adore LV, but I also want good customer service and have had Coach bags repaired after 10+ years, or if they couldn't be repaired a credit given towards another bag. However I think that even Coach is cutting back on repairs and leaning more towards credits now. But I would like to think that given reasonable wear that these expensive items will last a really long time. If the wallet had been used every day for 7 years perhaps this wear & tear would be reasonable, but it had not. Of course LV doesn't know it wasn't used every day for the past 7 years, but I would like to think they would stand behind their product.

I totally agree with you on this. Even LL Bean (yes, I know they are completely different animals) has a lifetime warranty/guarantee on their products. So if you buy a 520$ pair of hiking boots, and you are ever(no matter how many years or how much wear) dissatisfied, you can send them back and they will either repair or replace (at no cost) with no questions asked. I suppose I just expected better from LV.

Check with the cobbler. I agree. Now I carry the PTI myself. I have had 4 or 5 of them over the last 20 years. It is a great wallet. Realize that cost per use was pretty cheap for a wallet that is used 7 years. Weren't PTI's around $300 back in 2001?

So if you divide 300 by 7 years that is $43 per year or $4 a month or 11 cents a day.

Realistically you've paid 71$ a yr for your wallet. If you're rough on your wallet I would think a 70$ wallet after a yr is going to look bad.I do agree though that it should last longer, I had mine from 1999(there abouts) and still was able to sell it for 200$+ on ebay last yr. But on that not i'm not hard on my things.
I would call the cobbler and see what they have to say.

I might get flamed for saying this, and of course I love LV but honestly. IF the cobbler can repair it then why in the world would the "master" craftsmen of LV not be able to. I know getting 7 years out of a wallet is pretty good, but still if you want it repaired they should be able to repair it. It might cost you more etc etc...but they should at least tell you we can do it but it will cost you X and frankly if you just get the cobbler to do it then it will be less money and take less time. I think that just up and saying no we cant do it, just doesnt seem right.

Reactions: natalieh38
My wallet's zipper broke, unfortunately my dog had gotten a hold of it when he was a puppy and left some luv bites damaging the leather...and so they wouldn't repair it,..took it to my local cobbler who fixed the zipper and it was good as new, I know we expect ALOT from LV because we spend alot of $$$$$ with them, but all in all most times they will not be able to help years down the road

I agree. I have also had 10 yr old Coach bags repaired by them. Even Talbots has a no time limit return policy. A luxury brand like LV should stand behind their product indefinitely. Its a sure way to retain customer brand loyalty.

I know for a fact that LV will NOT repair a wallet's edging or do reglazing if the canvas has split or cracked in any area where they would be working (sewing). Dana (LV manager) told me that LV cannot warranty their repair work if they were to sew over cracked areas of canvas. She also told me that people wait too long to bring their wallets in once they begin showing signs of needed reglazing on the edges and that the canvas will begin to crack shortly after separating if left unattended to. I had taken my wallet in and she was examining it so closely and this is when she told me that she needed to be certain that none of the canvas has cracked along the edges because the factory would simply return it back to her unrepaired. She told me that I was one of the "few" that did not wait too long. Perhaps your canvas on your wallet has an area of a cracked or split canvas near the edge where they would have needed to sew so the factory would have been unable to guarantee their repair and therefore sent it back as they did. Just a thought. Also LV only warrants their leather and canvas goods for 2 years and any repairs they make as well. Good Luck. If you really like your wallet, take it to the cobbler they recommended and this way you can still enjoy using it further!

Hi, yesterday I had a very frustrating and unexpected experience with LV. I am hoping someone might have some advice on how to proceed. I purchased my porte tresor international wallet brand new in 2001. It was gently used until last year when I noticed most of the glaze had worn away and the seams were coming apart in 4 places. 2 of those showed significant seam damage. So I took the wallet to my local boutique and they quoted me a price of 84$ and 6-8 weeks to fix it. I received a call yesterday telling me the wallet was ready for pickup (no indication of what was about to happen). I was so excited to use it again and when they took it out of the bag, it was not fixed! LV said it would take too much material to fix it. I suppose there was a "bubble" (not sure how to describe) of leather that does not lay flat underneath the pen holder, but I only wanted the sides restitched and reglazed. So the manager tells me that my only option is to take the wallet to my local cobbler (he even gave me the cobbler's card, which was nice, but counterintuitive), thus voiding the warranty on the wallet should anything else happen to it. He also gave me the 866# and told me to try calling them. So I called the 866# and customer service basically tells me that wear and tear is expected after 7 years. I completely agree, but this is not normal wear and tear. The wallet is falling apart and is unusable. I am saddened to think I spent almost 500$ on a piece that should not be expected to last 10 years. Customer service did not offer any other options other than buying a new wallet or voiding my warranty at a local cobbler.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do next? Are there higher up people to call, letters to send? Customer service told me I could file a complaint, but it would not change the outcome of my situation. As a long time LV customer, I am frustrated and dissapointed with the customer service I received surrounding this experience. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. As a last resort, I will take it to a cobbler and have them fix it.

This is almost exactly same what happened to me 4 years ago.
I had the same wallet porte tresor international wallet in daimer brand new was purchased in 2000. I used it less than 4 years (I never use again since 2004, it 's stored in my drawer for 4 years already.. )
at the beginning, LV quoted me the price & said will call me when it's done.
few weeks later I got the phone call and told me it's ready for pick up.
But when I went to store, they told me the same thing as meghankkg' situation. LV refused to fix.
I was pretty mad (but I didn't get mad at LV store lor.....behalf..) becoz I feel LV should explain when I went there to fix. NOT kept it for weeks then call/told me it's ready to pick up.
In fact, it is NOT ready for pick up. that's one of the thing I'm mad plus I used the wallet
less than 4 years , did not use everyday. it was pretty upset me.
after that, I do purchase some items from LV for the past years but never purchase wallet again.

Last edited: