LV refused to repair my wallet, any suggestions other than taking it to my cobbler?

meghankkg

Apr 17, 2008
Hi, yesterday I had a very frustrating and unexpected experience with LV. I am hoping someone might have some advice on how to proceed. I purchased my porte tresor international wallet brand new in 2001. It was gently used until last year when I noticed most of the glaze had worn away and the seams were coming apart in 4 places. 2 of those showed significant seam damage. So I took the wallet to my local boutique and they quoted me a price of 84$ and 6-8 weeks to fix it. I received a call yesterday telling me the wallet was ready for pickup (no indication of what was about to happen). I was so excited to use it again and when they took it out of the bag, it was not fixed! LV said it would take too much material to fix it. I suppose there was a "bubble" (not sure how to describe) of leather that does not lay flat underneath the pen holder, but I only wanted the sides restitched and reglazed. So the manager tells me that my only option is to take the wallet to my local cobbler (he even gave me the cobbler's card, which was nice, but counterintuitive), thus voiding the warranty on the wallet should anything else happen to it. He also gave me the 866# and told me to try calling them. So I called the 866# and customer service basically tells me that wear and tear is expected after 7 years. I completely agree, but this is not normal wear and tear. The wallet is falling apart and is unusable. I am saddened to think I spent almost 500$ on a piece that should not be expected to last 10 years. Customer service did not offer any other options other than buying a new wallet or voiding my warranty at a local cobbler.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do next? Are there higher up people to call, letters to send? Customer service told me I could file a complaint, but it would not change the outcome of my situation. As a long time LV customer, I am frustrated and dissapointed with the customer service I received surrounding this experience. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. As a last resort, I will take it to a cobbler and have them fix it.

I read a thread just the other day where a girl had her cobbler fix her LV wallet, and it only cost her a few dollars. At this point I'd say go for it :tup: - if it's falling apart and unusuable and LV can't fix it, what would it matter if the warranty is voided?

That is so annoying, definitely complain! I agree with IrisCole, TBH if LV won't fix it then you'll have to get it fixed at a cobbler's, if LV won't do anything to it then I guess it doesn't matter if the warranty is voided.

I definitely agree with you, but I suppose its just the principle of the matter that a company with such a good reputation for high quality goods, should produce an item that falls apart in 7 years, with only gentle use. I also worry that I might lose one of the snaps, and a cobbler won't be able to replace the LV snaps, which is why I am so concerned with voiding the warranty.

I think going to the cobbler is a good idea. I know I am hard on my wallets so I would not expect them to fix it after 7 years of use.

I would take it to the cobbler. After all, you did manage to get seven years out of it. I know you are upset, and in a way, I don't blame you, but if you can repair it, then I would have it repaired.

It's been 7 years! I think the wallet has had a good life...time to get a new one and switch it up! :tup:

My bf has only been using his wallet for 2 years and the stitching is already coming apart and the canvas is ripping!

Wow, that's really surprising. Given its age and such, i would just take it to the cobbler or even buy a new one, but still...they should have been able to fix it.

Really...seven years is really good for a wallet....even when you pay $500! Just because you pay more for the Louis Vuitton brand it doesn't mean it is going to last forever. I really think at 7 years you've gotten your moneys worth. If you really want to continue using it then take it to the cobbler like was suggested or have fun picking out a new one. I know it's probably upsetting because you like it so much but if you really think about it it did last quite a long time.

I would take it to a cobbler. Since Louis Vuitton said that they will not repair the wallet because it's 7 years old, I think it's safe to assume that they will consider any future problems to be "wear and tear" as well, and you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty. I also had LV send me to a cobbler recently. My stepmother has a collection of vintage LVs including a clutch that closes with a snap. We took it in to be repaired because the snap no longer closes and were told that they do not keep parts for items that have been out of production for more than a certain period of time (10 years? I forget exactly) but that we should take it to a cobbler instead. We did, and were very happy with the results.

It's been 7 years! I think the wallet has had a good life...time to get a new one and switch it up! :tup:

My bf has only been using his wallet for 2 years and the stitching is already coming apart and the canvas is ripping!

my SO had the same thing happen, but after 3 years i got him a new one. he just really beats his wallets to death, im surprised it lasted him this long.

i suggest you surprise you bf with a new wallet