LV refused to repair my wallet, any suggestions other than taking it to my cobbler?

Realistically you've paid 71$ a yr for your wallet. If you're rough on your wallet I would think a 70$ wallet after a yr is going to look bad.I do agree though that it should last longer, I had mine from 1999(there abouts) and still was able to sell it for 200$+ on ebay last yr. But on that not i'm not hard on my things.
I would call the cobbler and see what they have to say.

That is exactly what I would do and plan on doing when my snapped billfold is used up. I'm also gentle on my things too. I would sell it on ebay and then get another one.

Good point about the $71 wallet per year! I think you did well OP getting 7 yrs. out of a wallet!

Great thread!!!

I recently took my Speedy from 1986 to LV in CO. I've been using it as a travel bag for so long, the zipper gave out and the teeth are crooked and I can't zip the zipper without it sticking. There are little vertical tears along the entire length of the zipper on both sides as the bag is so old and it's so dry here.

LV accepted my bag for repair, then the next day I got an email saying they couldn't do the zipper repair. I was a little annoyed about the email without a phone call. They told me when I called that when they repair bags, they take the entire thing apart, and they said it's a risk to my bag if they repair the zipper.

Is that common? Or true? Thanks in advance!

Great thread!!!

I recently took my Speedy from 1986 to LV in CO. I've been using it as a travel bag for so long, the zipper gave out and the teeth are crooked and I can't zip the zipper without it sticking. There are little vertical tears along the entire length of the zipper on both sides as the bag is so old and it's so dry here.

LV accepted my bag for repair, then the next day I got an email saying they couldn't do the zipper repair. I was a little annoyed about the email without a phone call. They told me when I called that when they repair bags, they take the entire thing apart, and they said it's a risk to my bag if they repair the zipper.

Is that common? Or true? Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Yes it is true, they could have telephoned you though to tell you I agree.

They always refuse a repair if the canvas is in any way cracked, I am sad too as one of my first speedy 25's did the exact same thing as yours and she is unrepairable because the canvas is so old it had cracked and it does have to be taken apart to replace the whole zipper. I was told this though by the repairs manager when enquiring the same day in Bond st UK.

I still use and love mine from time to time as she is very sentimental, she was my grandmothers.

Hope that helps.

I have had my french wallet since the mid 90's and it just now needs a bit of glazing. LV could not reglaze the area that needed it so with help from superglue and a good cobbler it looks like new.

Thanks madbagwoman!!!! I agree, they are so sentimental :smile: Did you take yours somewhere else to have it repaired or do you use it without the zipper? :smile:

Hello,

They always refuse a repair if the canvas is in any way cracked, I am sad too as one of my first speedy 25's did the exact same thing as yours and she is unrepairable because the canvas is so old it had cracked and it does have to be taken apart to replace the whole zipper. I was told this though by the repairs manager when enquiring the same day in Bond st UK.

I still use and love mine from time to time as she is very sentimental, she was my grandmothers.

Hope that helps.

Also, I was on Bond St. long ago :smile: Nice :smile: Do you think it "devalues" the bag to take it anywhere else to repair it?

Hello again,

I simply use her as she is as the 25 is small enough not be be zippered up and still be safe so I accept her scars from use / love and wear her with pride.

I don't think i will repair her with a cobbler though myself, not for the de-value factor but the fact it may look odd afterwards.

Yes Bond st is my local store and i adore it, you must visit again as the new maison is huge and wonderful.

hope you can still use and love your speedy.

Well said! :smile: Mine is a 30 and I will continue to use it, I love it! I won't have mine repaired either :smile: Thanks for sharing your story with me, I feel better! I hope to see Bond St. again, take care :balloon:

Hi, yesterday I had a very frustrating and unexpected experience with LV. I am hoping someone might have some advice on how to proceed. I purchased my porte tresor international wallet brand new in 2001. It was gently used until last year when I noticed most of the glaze had worn away and the seams were coming apart in 4 places. 2 of those showed significant seam damage. So I took the wallet to my local boutique and they quoted me a price of 84$ and 6-8 weeks to fix it. I received a call yesterday telling me the wallet was ready for pickup (no indication of what was about to happen). I was so excited to use it again and when they took it out of the bag, it was not fixed! LV said it would take too much material to fix it. I suppose there was a "bubble" (not sure how to describe) of leather that does not lay flat underneath the pen holder, but I only wanted the sides restitched and reglazed. So the manager tells me that my only option is to take the wallet to my local cobbler (he even gave me the cobbler's card, which was nice, but counterintuitive), thus voiding the warranty on the wallet should anything else happen to it. He also gave me the 866# and told me to try calling them. So I called the 866# and customer service basically tells me that wear and tear is expected after 7 years. I completely agree, but this is not normal wear and tear. The wallet is falling apart and is unusable. I am saddened to think I spent almost 500$ on a piece that should not be expected to last 10 years. Customer service did not offer any other options other than buying a new wallet or voiding my warranty at a local cobbler.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to do next? Are there higher up people to call, letters to send? Customer service told me I could file a complaint, but it would not change the outcome of my situation. As a long time LV customer, I am frustrated and dissapointed with the customer service I received surrounding this experience. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. As a last resort, I will take it to a cobbler and have them fix it.
That's crazy. I would be frustrated.

Hello,

Hope that helps.

Well after much back and forth, I decided to take my Speedy to Dardano's...a great shoe/repair store. I told them the story about the zipper although they see alot of these bags. They said all I needed was the little glide piece, not a new zipper! I couldn't believe it. They said the glide must've gotten finicky after 25 years, and it's not the zipper teeth. So, I got it back yesterday and it's perfect! Like nothing ever happened! And it cost me $18 as opposed to $75. Just thought I'd share! :biggrin:

Well after much back and forth, I decided to take my Speedy to Dardano's...a great shoe/repair store. I told them the story about the zipper although they see alot of these bags. They said all I needed was the little glide piece, not a new zipper! I couldn't believe it. They said the glide must've gotten finicky after 25 years, and it's not the zipper teeth. So, I got it back yesterday and it's perfect! Like nothing ever happened! And it cost me $18 as opposed to $75. Just thought I'd share! :biggrin:

Can't believe how little the quote was to have LV do the zipper (even though the bootmaker gave you a better deal). Getting a zipper done in Japan LV is sometimes twice that amount! But I have been very happy with the results each time.

Wow! Twice that amount!!! I do have to say it's worth it :smile:
I have been really happy with all the repairs done by Louis Vuitton. They even offered to totally rebuild my vintage Speedy because they were happy with the canvas on this particular bag. I haven't had them knock back anything yet and some of my things are very old and rare, so not easy repair jobs. What they can do to a bucket bag with peeling lining is simply stunning.

After reading all the posts, it seems like a lot of people have similar issues with dealing with service from LV. I recently brought in a wallet to be reglazed and restitched only on one side and was told that they needed to send it in for an estimate first. I would get a call back before they actually repair the item. I agreed as the estimate was reasonable and expected a phone call in a week or 2 weeks the most. I waited for about 3 weeks and never got a call, thus I called them. They told me that they were still waiting for an estimate. Weeks go by and now, it is about 1.5 months since I had dropped the wallet off and still, no phone call. I called them just yesterday and the person I spoke to said that the estimate was lower than what they quoted me. I was indeed excited to hear this and assumed the wallet was going to be repaired at a decent charge! However, the rep told me that she needed to confirm this and said that someone would call me later in the day. I finally got a call at 6pm in the evening yesterday and only to find out that LV declined my repair due to the the stretching to the canvas. They received the wallet back earlier but I just didn't get a call. They offered to send my wallet back to me at no extra charge but I told them I will pick it up next week. I wanted to laugh at the service I received...how frustrating is this? Now, I need to find a good cobbler in New York City..