LV Prices in France

chocolux

O.G.
May 21, 2009
Hey everyone! I have a question about shopping at LV in Paris. If I use my U.S. issued credit card (Visa), will I need a 4-digit PIN number? I asked my credit card company and they said I only need 4-digit PIN if I do cash advance at an ATM machine... BUT I also read somewhere that specifically in France, their machines require a 4-digit PIN number. If you've recently been to Paris and had some shopping transactions there, could you please advise?

Thanks!!

Yes, you definitely need it. My daughter and son-in-law were in Paris a couple of months ago and couldn't buy train tickets from the machine because they didn't have a pin for the visa card.

If you go somewhere that does not require human intervention (transit tickets, ATM, etc), then yes, you will need a card with a chip and pin, as it will ask for a pin number to complete the transaction.

If you go to stores, they should be able to do the transaction the old fashioned way (i.e. swipe the card and have you sign), BUT you may get some puzzled looks, as Europe has been on chip and pin technology for many years, so not everyone knows/remembers how to do a transaction the old way. So, might take more time to pay, as they will have to figure out what to do for a card without the chip and pin.

But I wouldn't worry too much, you're not the only American to travel to Europe; I'm sure they've dealt with that situation before :smile:

Reactions: Mertsa
Ya.. like what people said already.. especially if you're in the touristy area of Paris, they will ask you if you want to use PIN or sign.. and you tell them you want to sign. But don't attempt to buy train tickets or stuff like that from machines or else it won't work.

I can't comment on LV Paris, but we in Canada have to use our Visa card PIN almost everywhere, and on a recent two week road trip to various places in the north-east US we never encountered any places that were set up for that yet. Europe is generally ahead of North America in technology so it's a good idea to know your PIN (probably will need it in many places).

We are planning a trip to Paris in the fall. I understand the prices are lower in France.... Then there's the VAT.... (which I do not understand at all)

Would it be better to wait and buy her in France?

What is the VAT and how does it work?

What would the price difference be, in simple dollars and cents?

Thanks in advance!!

Yes cheaper, so wait!
VAT, you tell the shop you will be claiming tax refund, bring yr passport, they will fill in a form which you need to get stamped at your last port in Europe (have yr bag w you in case they want to see it). Then you get your refund, either cash (minus some fee) or via credit card.
How exciting for you, a trip to France! Yay!!
As for how much, i would estimate 10-15% cheaper..

I would say wait till you go to Paris. You save about 20%. The price is a bit lower than US price and you get 12% VAT back from that already lower price. It costs a bit more in the US and you pay tax (for me it's 8.25% in Texas). So you save the US tax and also get the 12% VAT back. Ask for your VAT papers at the LV store, fill out the required information and claim your VAT at the airport.

I hope you don't mind me asking this on your thread, but I'm debating between going to Paris or Rome and wondered about the LV pricing in each city compared to the U.S. Is the VAT refund the same in both countries? BTW, hope to see a reveal of your Paris LV purchase(s). :graucho:

If you are using a credit card for the purchase, make sure you know what your credit card's Foreign Transaction fee is before you travel. Most cards add 3 percent to all foreign purchases nowadays, but not EVERY card. So it's worth it to know before you go. Same for debit cards, by the way. (I discovered that I had an AmEx card with just a one percent fee, sure glad I figured that out before a recent trip to London!) Have fun!