LV Pochette Metis vs. Gucci Ophidia GG small shoulder bag

Hippolyta

O.G.
Dec 28, 2010
I'm thinking of selling my LV pochette metis for the Ophidia GG small shoulder bag. There's lots I love about my pochette metis--how it's both soft and structured, the top handle, the outside pocket (why, oh why does Gucci never give us an outside pocket???). It's one of the only LV styles I really like. But I find I never wear it because every time I do, it seems like everyone else is wearing it as well. I'm just not a fan of seeing myself coming and going like that. So, I end up putting it away and pulling out another bag.

I recently saw the Ophidia GG small shoulder bag in the boutique, and find myself thinking about it and wondering if it would fill the same function as the LV pochette metis without being as popular a style. In fact, I've never seen one out in the wild.

Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with this bag either generally or in comparison to the pochette metis? I'd love to hear them! I'm assuming I could style this bag the same as the pochette metis, no? Seriously, any thoughts or considerations you think I should weigh while making this decision is welcome!

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 5.02.06 PM.png

Reactions: SkeeWee1908
I agree with @Cherries and wine. Do you have the leather PM? After my experience of using the canvas Pochette Metis for several years, I think it just has too many known problems. I don't think the canvas on the PM wears very well. And my flap got a crack in the canvas on the inside seam after 3 years of use. I regret getting it in the canvas version, and think the leather PM might have been better. I agree though about having the pocket in the back. I love that feature on a bag. But, the Ophidia looks like a good alternative, and doesn't have that annoying s-lock to deal with.

I agree with @Cherries and wine. Do you have the leather PM? After my experience of using the canvas Pochette Metis for several years, I think it just has too many known problems. I don't think the canvas on the PM wears very well. And my flap got a crack in the canvas on the inside seam after 3 years of use. I regret getting it in the canvas version, and think the leather PM might have been better. I agree though about having the pocket in the back. I love that feature on a bag. But, the Ophidia looks like a good alternative, and doesn't have that annoying s-lock to deal with.

I have the canvas PM and don't have any problems with it, but I also don't wear it as often as I thought I would. An outside pocket is so convenient and I will miss it, for sure. But the s-lock is annoying; I usually end up leaving my PM open. And I prefer to not have compartments in a small shoulder bag, which means I would prefer that with the Ophidia.

Thank you for articulating all of this so clearly. Sometimes being so close to a decision like this can make it difficult to discern the details. I sometimes feel a bit silly about how emotional I get about my bags. LOL

Reactions: PurseAddict728
I have the canvas PM and don't have any problems with it, but I also don't wear it as often as I thought I would. An outside pocket is so convenient and I will miss it, for sure. But the s-lock is annoying; I usually end up leaving my PM open. And I prefer to not have compartments in a small shoulder bag, which means I would prefer that with the Ophidia.

Thank you for articulating all of this so clearly. Sometimes being so close to a decision like this can make it difficult to discern the details. I sometimes feel a bit silly about how emotional I get about my bags. LOL
I know exactly how you feel. :heart: I just received the LV Marelle today and was disappointed with how the strap looks. It has a section on the strap where the edge painting was not finished properly. Also, I noticed the hardware on the strap has scratches as well. I know I'm being nit picky, but it was a bag over $2K. I've just felt emotional all day about it too. I don't know if I should take a chance and exchange or just return it. I feel like LV's quality has really declined. I know my husband would think I'm over reacting. He always does.

I love the soft Gucci medium Jackie I just received last month. It was finished beautifully. I'm waiting on a Gucci messenger to be delivered tomorrow.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do. If you get the Ophidia, please post some pictures.

Reactions: Hippolyta
I know exactly how you feel. :heart: I just received the LV Marelle today and was disappointed with how the strap looks. It has a section on the strap where the edge painting was not finished properly. Also, I noticed the hardware on the strap has scratches as well. I know I'm being nit picky, but it was a bag over $2K. I've just felt emotional all day about it too. I don't know if I should take a chance and exchange or just return it. I feel like LV's quality has really declined. I know my husband would think I'm over reacting. He always does.

I love the soft Gucci medium Jackie I just received last month. It was finished beautifully. I'm waiting on a Gucci messenger to be delivered tomorrow.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do. If you get the Ophidia, please post some pictures.
I'm sorry you were disappointed with your new LV. For the prices we pay for these bags, you have every right to be nit-picky and to expect to immediately love it. The Marelle is a beautiful bag. So, if you truly love it, maybe try for an exchange. But, for me, if that first experience is negative it can ruin the bag for me entirely. So, I understand if you just want to return it too.

Ah...I guess we should be grateful to have such first world problems.

Reactions: PurseAddict728

Speaking of outside pockets, have you thought of the Gucci horsebit camera bag

Speaking of outside pockets, have you thought of the Gucci horsebit camera bag
I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I generally don't like camera bags and much prefer a flap bag. I just don't find camera bags as functional, for some reason. I think it's the zipper because it requires two hands to get in and out of the bag. I have the 1955 Horsebit bag, which I adore despite not having a back pocket! But it doesn't fit as much as the PM and doesn't have as long a drop, and I can't really wear it crossbody. So, it doesn't fill the same function as the PM.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, though. The horsebit camera bag is a beautiful bag!

I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I generally don't like camera bags and much prefer a flap bag. I just don't find camera bags as functional, for some reason. I think it's the zipper because it requires two hands to get in and out of the bag. I have the 1955 Horsebit bag, which I adore despite not having a back pocket! But it doesn't fit as much as the PM and doesn't have as long a drop, and I can't really wear it crossbody. So, it doesn't fill the same function as the PM.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, though. The horsebit camera bag is a beautiful bag!
Totally get it
I always prefer the look of flap bags but the camera proved to be really practical as you can leave it open without feeling too unsecured
I was debating between the camera and the flap horsebit , the flap one is gorgeous I should admit
Another roomy option and I know totally different brand is the celine belt nano

Have you considered the Dionysus? Yesterday I had the chance to try both the PM and the Dionysus in several sizes. Although I like the PM, the Dionysus stole my heart! It also seems more resistant to me and done better.
I don’t like how empreinte leather ages, so I wouldn’t get a PM in leather.

Have you considered the Dionysus? Yesterday I had the chance to try both the PM and the Dionysus in several sizes. Although I like the PM, the Dionysus stole my heart! It also seems more resistant to me and done better.
I don’t like how empreinte leather ages, so I wouldn’t get a PM in leather.
I have a small Dionysus in black leather and it's one of my all time favorite bags! But it's not an every day bag for me. In the black leather with the crystal tiger head horseshoe, it's a bit dressier and edgier than my day-to-day casual mom aesthetic. But for adult outings and nights out, it's my go-to bag.

Which Dionysus did you get? I hope you continue to love it as much as I love mine.

Reactions: maryg1
I have a small Dionysus in black leather and it's one of my all time favorite bags! But it's not an every day bag for me. In the black leather with the crystal tiger head horseshoe, it's a bit dressier and edgier than my day-to-day casual mom aesthetic. But for adult outings and nights out, it's my go-to bag.

Which Dionysus did you get? I hope you continue to love it as much as I love mine.
I still didn’t get it but I have seen one in my local boutique in smooth brown leather. It is TDF, but I’m still thinking about it as I’ve so many brown/beige bags (it’s a color that suits me and my wardrobe). I was initially interested in a mini size in black leather for outings, like you.
TBH, I’ve tried many also in supreme and jeans fabric, they were all lovely. The one I liked the least was in red croc, go figure!

• Love