LV or Balenciaga...

Would you consider a damier ebony speedy? Comparing coated canvas to leather is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. I love Bbags but they show wear very quickly and if this is your first high end bag you might end up disappointed by the quality. If you go for a Bbag consider buying a used bag from 07 or before when they were made from chevre leather they are much more durable than the current bags which are made of lambskin. I feel like LV's coated canvas is a lot more durable. I have a azur galleria which looks great a few years later their is slight color transfer on the back which is kind of to be expected since it's white and the leather edging and shoulder strap look a bit dirty and are starting to patina. So those are things to think about. Both bags will sag with use IMO it's a part of their charm the Bal will sag quicker than the LV.

Would you consider a damier ebony speedy? Comparing coated canvas to leather is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. I love Bbags but they show wear very quickly and if this is your first high end bag you might end up disappointed by the quality. If you go for a Bbag consider buying a used bag from 07 or before when they were made from chevre leather they are much more durable than the current bags which are made of lambskin. I feel like LV's coated canvas is a lot more durable. I have a azur galleria which looks great a few years later their is slight color transfer on the back which is kind of to be expected since it's white and the leather edging and shoulder strap look a bit dirty and are starting to patina. So those are things to think about. Both bags will sag with use IMO it's a part of their charm the Bal will sag quicker than the LV.

Completely agree with everything here, especially the Damier Ebene recommendation. Both Azur and anything Bal seem like rather high-maintenance first bags - if that's a concern. If not, then they're both gorgeous bags and you really can't go wrong - I would personally choose the Bal because, whilst Damier Azur goes with almost everything, a black or anthra Bal goes with absolutely everything. ;)

No contest: Balenciaga. Black seems to be a popular Bal colour, but it's still so much less common than an Azur/Ebene/Mono Speedy.

If you are set on LV, I'd check out the Epi line for a Speedy. It'd be less loud than an Azur, and you can get black.

I have both the speedy and a few Bals part-time, city. With Bals, you have many colors to choose from as indicated in your options and you can shoulder-held. While the Speedy, it's weather-proof and usually, I hand-held although you have the option to order a strap as some LV owners did.

They are both different bags. If you can try them both IRL, it'd be better.

It depends on your age and personal style.

I have a hard time imagining a 50+ woman wearing Balenciaga (no offense to Bal lovers, but I think it suits younger women better due to the bags' rock & roll style - there are many exceptions of course).

The LV Speedy is a classic piece, though I'm not a fan of their leather (vachette I think) getting darker and darker through the years.

Bottom line: If you're young and more edgy, choose Bal. If you're older or young but with a more classic style (chic, casual chic), choose LV.

Balenciaga anytime! Unlike the previous poster I think you are only limited by your own mind as far as age goes. I'm 45, a suburban mom to 10-year old twin boys who drives a - shock! - minivan and I still rock my Balenciaga Motorcycle bag that I purchased in the fall of '01 for my 35 birthday. It puts a spring in my step every time I use it!

It depends on your age and personal style.

I have a hard time imagining a 50+ woman wearing Balenciaga (no offense to Bal lovers, but I think it suits younger women better due to the bags' rock & roll style - there are many exceptions of course).

The LV Speedy is a classic piece, though I'm not a fan of their leather (vachette I think) getting darker and darker through the years.

I have to agree and disagree. I think Black Bal would be LOUD with the GH but pretty basic and suited for all ages with RH.

If those are the only choice Azur Speedy or Black Bal PT. I'd say Black Bal PT. It is hand held, shoulder carry, and crossbody. A well rounded first Designer bag.

If you are taking suggestions on Speedy, then, I'd say Mono. I know, there are a lot of FAKE Mono Speedy out there. It is an altimate classic designer bag. Personally, I think the aging Venchetta makes the Monogram more beautiful. But dark venchetta next to Azur just looks dirty.

Since, you are willing to pay well close to 2K for a Bal PT with GHW, then, why not consider a Mon Mono Speedy. It is going to be one of a kind.

Balenciaga anytime! Unlike the previous poster I think you are only limited by your own mind as far as age goes. I'm 45, a suburban mom to 10-year old twin boys who drives a - shock! - minivan and I still rock my Balenciaga Motorcycle bag that I purchased in the fall of '01 for my 35 birthday. It puts a spring in my step every time I use it!

Shout out to TWIN MOMs! My twin boys are 5 and I am rocking my Bal... how funny, I start with my first Bal last year at 35, too.