LV on the airplane

lk87

Feb 23, 2011
ive seen people (including myself) on TPF saying they never put their LV's on the ground. So I was wondering what do you all do when you take your LV to travel on the airplane? what do you do when your LV is passing through the security check (the dirty detector)? and what do you do when you need to place your LV on the floor under the seat when the plane departs?

Im thinking about bringing the dustbag along so I can put my bag in the dustbag. but wouldnt that be a little too much especially during security check? I feel like people are going to think Im crazy if i did that.

any thought?

Plop your bag into a large longchamp travel bag, the same can be used to protect your bag in the event of rain/snow, and this bag can be neatly folded and store in your bag until its eventual need arises. Several other people do this on this forum!

So - having done this TWICE now with my pomme alma - let me give you a hint: take the dustbag.

Still, it doesn't always work. One security guy took my pomme alma out of the dustbag and put it on the conveyor belt to scan it (yes, the conveyor belt, and then over the metal roller things - I was so mad! :wtf:) I checked it over carefully once the scan was done to make sure no damage was done.

But another thing was, I also got a tray and lay the bag on its side in the tray too.

When you are on the airplane, I put the bag in the dustbag, and put it under the seat in front of me (I don't trust it overhead, as I might not be first to the overhead locker and what do you do if someone steals it or damages it trying to fit their cheap luggage in there!).

It has survived two trips with no damage. And I would take it travelling with me again.

I travel quite a bit and unfortunately you really can't get past letting the purse go through the security belt. I make a point to make sure the large plastic tubs for your belongings to be placed in is as clean as possible, then lay the bag down in a way where it doesn't come into contact with anything else as it passes through?

I never set my bag directly on the floor below my seat. I immediately grab the trifold emergency foldout located in the pocket of the seat and place on the floor first then put my bag there. If the seat next to me is available then obviously that is my first choice. It takes a couple of extra minutes each time but I find that it is worth it to me, with or without the strange looks?

I must tell you about my "classy" solution. I brought a white kitchen garbage bag with me. I placed my bag inside of it and in the tray when it went through the scanner. When I had to place my bag under my seat, I did the same thing. I did not care what anyone thought, as long as my bag was safe. I also brought a separate tote (which I got free from Saks) for all of my son's things (books, toys, etc.).

on my recent trip what i did was like the others said; i put my LV in on of the tubs...

and once on the plane what i did was with the blankets that they supply you with - i used the plastic that covered the blanket and put that in front of my seat and placed my LV on top of it to ensure that i can see it etc....

you can obviously use either a longchamp or bring the dustbag with you

Putting it on the tray the airports have would be enough I guess? On the plane, I just threw them all on the floor (well.. I'm not famous for babying my bags). Flying is a tiresome thing for me already, trying to get comfy on that small space for hours (I do fly business and still complains about the space). I don't want to be worrying about my bags to make my flight even more tiring..

That's the whole point of my LVs, they're durable. I put my smaller bags in the tray, but I also have a Keepall 55 so it won't fit. It goes through the scanner like any other bag. If there's room, while waiting to board the plane, I put it on the seat next to me. On the plane it has to go in the overhead. I'm always careful it doesn't get smashed in the door when they close it up.

I was going to take my dust bag but now I'm kind of thinking the white garbage bag isn't a bad idea... Hmm... I wasn't worried about the scanners because of the tubs but more the floor area. Once I took a new Juicy Couture white duffle bag and it got filthy! I was so upset, but it was white. But oh well. Thats why since I am taking both the new Azur speedy and Rayure Neverfull I am bringing the dust bag for the Neverfull and putting the speedy inside it.

I bought several large Baggu bags for all my purses, so if it ever rains they're protected. This is what I take to the airport with me! They're like, $6-8 & fold up so teeny tiny, even smaller than my large Longchamp Le Pliage tote and at a better price-point for dirty airport places. (Besides, I can never perfectly fold my Longchamp up as nicely as it was when I bought it...is it even possible?! Sorry, I digress!)

Going through the security screening I too put mine in the cleanest bin I can find, then nervously bite my nails and pray until I've examined it and see no harm was done. The good news is, it never has been! In the future my Keepall 50 will be heading through the belt all by its lonesome, unprotected self, but as it is vintage with a fantastic dark honey patina, I will not worry about that one. I also think travel pieces like that look a little better with some badges of courage!

On the actual plane, I keep my bags on my lap at all times, and have never had a problem with this at all. I do travel with maybe what you would call smaller bags - a Speedy 30, NF MM, and the like. I hope this doesn't sound horrifically snobbish, but I think when the flight attendants see the bag, they understand the reasoning for not placing it on the floor where there's dirt, possible spills, and the like. It also is never in other passengers' ways, so it really isn't a nuisance. However, if I ever need to...Baggu to the rescue! I would simply put it in there, knot the handles of the Baggu together, and voila! Protection!

If people give you crazy looks, so be it! I'm used to that by now, but I simply make it into a joke that the bag is like my child before having a real child. You should've seen the looks I got when I strapped my Speedy into the Matterhorn seatbelt at Disneyland. They got even more insane after I put a hoodie over it to protect it from possible water during the drops! At the end of the day, I'd rather get a few crazy stares than have a ruined bag!

on my recent trip what i did was like the others said; i put my LV in on of the tubs...

and once on the plane what i did was with the blankets that they supply you with - i used the plastic that covered the blanket and put that in front of my seat and placed my LV on top of it to ensure that i can see it etc....

you can obviously use either a longchamp or bring the dustbag with you

Once I had a Chanel bag that they put on the dirty conveyor:nono: and one of the links of the chain got snagged somewhere. Luckily it was only one link and easily fixed.

Once I had a Chanel bag that they put on the dirty conveyor:nono: and one of the links of the chain got snagged somewhere. Luckily it was only one link and easily fixed.

OMG!! I would've probably burst into terrified sobs! Or at the very least, the hyper anxious shakes. Thank heavens it was fixed! I'm a little nervous my Keepall strap may get stuck at some point...oh dear...I need to stop thinking that!

i have samsonite bag that i carry it with me at the airport i stiff my LV's bags with
clothes that i want to take em with me and that would keep the bags shapes and protected haha so i dont need to worry about anything .. i do care about my bags but not baby em that much i baby myself more LOL :graucho: