LV Mono Neverfull: Vachetta Trim Issues?!

BellaVita85

May 8, 2013
Hi all!

I have been searching on here at nausium the past month or so concerning 'dirty vachetta' and have never been so conflicted with a bag. I purchased my Mono NF (red interior) this past January. I have not worn this bag in snow or rain. I make every effort to avoid mother nature's wrath. Granted, I currently live and work in NYC (dirt everywhere).

After about 2 weeks with this bag I noticed the Vachetta trim starting to get dirty....especially the part that would go under my arm and on the ends of the bag. I washed my winter coat thinking that was the culprit but I still notice the dirt! I have had this bag for 2 months....is this normal? I am OCD however I just wasn't expecting to see this much wear on it just yet. Especially because I feel i am babying it.

It doesn't look like the Vachetta is turning yet (is that even possible so soon?) it just looks like light dirt is collecting on it. When it eventually does turn will the 'dirty' areas darken and look worse or will they be less noticeable?

I went ahead and purchased the 'love my bags' cleaner and conditioner but I don't know if I should use it or not.

I uploaded an example of what I am seeing though It feels like its worse in person. Help!

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can enlighten me with!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 2,555
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2,389
Reactions: Acctt
This is normal and unavoidable when I first got mine I was a little worried too. It is untreated and once it begins to patina you won't see it just wear it and enjoy it.Oh and I have used the loving my bags but check out YouTube .

It's comforting to hear it's normal. I hope you are right! I contemplated whether this was the right bag for me after seeing how it started looking so soon. Also this scuff....no idea where it came from. I can't believe how banged up this thing is when I really haven't been hard on it.

I watched so many videos and read TONS of reviews of LMB. Will this help or hurt the situation?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,103
It may just be caused by the friction between the the trim and the jacket. My first bag was a NF and I didn't know about LMB so it went untreated. 5 years later, and darker patina it looks pretty good- doesn't look dirty or uneven imo, just the usual wear and tear (rubbing) that u will inevitably get at the top of the vachetta trim. I use LMB now on my bags (new and preloved) and have had wonderful results. Just make sure if the vachetta is light to new, u use the pre treatment first. I am not sure if LMB cleanser will remove this, but if it's truly dirt, it prob will. Just condition it after. I wouldn't really stress on this cause time will take care of this with patina. HTH.
Also, if using LMB, don't double dip. This will contaminate it and the product will go bad. Scoop out what u need and work from there. I am extra careful not to contaminate the product- it's so expensive!

Hi all!

I have been searching on here at nausium the past month or so concerning 'dirty vachetta' and have never been so conflicted with a bag. I purchased my Mono NF (red interior) this past January. I have not worn this bag in snow or rain. I make every effort to avoid mother nature's wrath. Granted, I currently live and work in NYC (dirt everywhere).

After about 2 weeks with this bag I noticed the Vachetta trim starting to get dirty....especially the part that would go under my arm and on the ends of the bag. I washed my winter coat thinking that was the culprit but I still notice the dirt! I have had this bag for 2 months....is this normal? I am OCD however I just wasn't expecting to see this much wear on it just yet. Especially because I feel i am babying it.

It doesn't look like the Vachetta is turning yet (is that even possible so soon?) it just looks like light dirt is collecting on it. When it eventually does turn will the 'dirty' areas darken and look worse or will they be less noticeable?

I went ahead and purchased the 'love my bags' cleaner and conditioner but I don't know if I should use it or not.

I uploaded an example of what I am seeing though It feels like its worse in person. Help!

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can enlighten me with!!
I'd be wary of the LMB. While most people like it, there are a few posts about negative experiences. I wouldn't risk it. Why don't you just wipe down all the vachetta with a damp cloth (the patina champ method) and then condition if it looks dry? I feel like a Cadillac conditioner troll but that stuff is amazing and I've never read any negative posts about it.

The first LV bag I bought was a Tivoli and used it daily after 4 months it started to look dirty. I was horrified
I started reaserching and then learnt about water protectant and cleaning the Vachetta.
(Also a white pencil eraser can also help to remove surface marks)
I managed to clean my Tivoli up and from then on I feel she looked more polished.
Since then I water protect all my Vachetta bags as soon as I get them and routinely clean them with leather cleaner after prolonged use.
My bags are all looking good and I swear by this method over doing nothing.
But that's a descison you need to make yourself as it's not endorsed by Louis Vuitton.
Also do be very carefully using the water protectant if you decide to use it as it can leave water sports.

I do see people with LV bags and dirty handles and I could not use my bag like that

I'd be wary of the LMB. While most people like it, there are a few posts about negative experiences. I wouldn't risk it. Why don't you just wipe down all the vachetta with a damp cloth (the patina champ method) and then condition if it looks dry? I feel like a Cadillac conditioner troll but that stuff is amazing and I've never read any negative posts about it.

What is the Patina Champ Method? I did come across people saying not to let water on the vachetta. Everyone says different things and I cannot decide but I am open to all suggestions! Ill also look into the cadillac conditioner. Does it condition and protect?

Thank you! I already ordered the cleanser and conditioner.....should I hold off on using them and order the pre-treatment?

If ur vachetta is new or light coloured I would wait and use the pre treatment first as the cleanser and conditioner may darken the patina. I used the pretreatment on my new vachetta and then did the other steps and mine was not darkened.
*i don't like using LMB on canvas as it leaves a sticky feel

As another poster said, some peeps have neg reviews on LMB, not sure if its user error, contaminated product or what... but with using ANY product I would test in an inconspicuous area first.
The patina champ method which I tried too was also mentioned and it was fine (I only mentioned LMB because u said u had it). There is posts on here about patina champ method and videos on it. The product Cadillac conditioner is pretty good too sold at Nordstrom.

Reactions: muddledmint
If ur vachetta is new or light coloured I would wait and use the pre treatment first as the cleanser and conditioner may darken the patina. I used the pretreatment on my new vachetta and then did the other steps and mine was not darkened.
*i don't like using LMB on canvas as it leaves a sticky feel

As another poster said, some peeps have neg reviews on LMB, not sure if its user error, contaminated product or what... but with using ANY product I would test in an inconspicuous area first.
The patina champ method which I tried too was also mentioned and it was fine (I only mentioned LMB because u said u had it). There is posts on here about patina champ method and videos on it. The product Cadillac conditioner is pretty good too sold at Nordstrom.
Yes I think you can find the threads on the patina champ method in the FAQ section. I liked it but felt like it dried out the vachetta a little, so that's why I started conditioning afterwards. LMB seems to work well for most people but maybe is not the easiest or most foolproof method. But, I have no personal experience with it ... just seems too risky.

Patina champ method is amazing, I love it. Afterwards, I wait 3 months (depending on how often I use the bag) and use LMB cleaner, then I use Cadillac. You may want to keep LMB for the future. I clean my bags about 4 times a year and they look almost new.

I have both treated and untreated bags and I can tell you that once u start treating it -its addicting and doesn't stop! U may end up over treating too often to the point that bag stops to patina (that happens!!) Also as a long time LV lover I can tell you that treated bags don't hold resale value as much in general in comparison to untreated LVs...Having said that I have bags I wish I never treated and bags that I wish I have! It's prob even more confusing to u now....to distinguish the difference u need to experience both treated and untreated to figure out what's best for u..... NF is an awesome bag with the least amount of vachetta I personally wouldn't treat it as no matter how bad it gets (imagine worst case scenario) it won't b so terrible - and it's one of the most resaleble bags;)

It's comforting to hear it's normal. I hope you are right! I contemplated whether this was the right bag for me after seeing how it started looking so soon. Also this scuff....no idea where it came from. I can't believe how banged up this thing is when I really haven't been hard on it.

I watched so many videos and read TONS of reviews of LMB. Will this help or hurt the situation?
Scuff gnomes. They sneak into your closets at night, looking for random socks to snack on, and are responsible for all of those white marks we see on our canvas when their little beards rub up against the surface.:lol:
Scuffs can occur from any source of friction, whether it be your coat, the corners of walls, even jewellery or your nails. Yours is pretty minor and will soften and fade as the vachetta relaxes and develops a darker patina.

I don't have a mono NF but I have a mono Delightful, and not to confuse you anymore, but, I did not pre-treat my leather in any special way. I didn't notice my trim looking very dirty. I only see a few scuffs located under the handle of my bag. But, I let my bag "sunbathe" for a couple of hours in direct sunlight a couple days out of the week. And I have used alcohol free baby wipes to wipe down the leather and canvas and I think it has resulted in a very nice and even patina after 2 years of use on and off. I do not see any spots on my bag either. I'm one of those people that loves the patina to darken with use. GL on whatever method you choose.

Reactions: Aliluvlv