LV luggage, check it or carry it on board?

I would not check it. I am not only concerned about theft, but damage. I travel with a HEYS hardbody suitcase and somehow the airline dented it. I can't imagine what they would do to an LV.

I don't have any LV luggages precisely because I know that I wouldn't bear checking her in and not having her next to me...what if the luggage gets lost/damaged/stolen? Insurance may cover it but all the hassle...my mom's luggages (thank god they weren't LVs!) got lost recently on a trip to Australia and she had to buy a whole new wardrobe there (not that she's complaining...). Unless I can carry it on board, I'm not buying it.

oh please. I check all my LV pieces, even my Innsbruck Carryall which is almost all suede. I've never had any problems and it a piece gets dirty I just wipe it off. Plus, almost every airline will wrap your bags in plastic for you if you are worried about them (which is a good idea for the softer leathers like the Tobago)

Since most airlines have a pretty strict policy reguarding the size and amount ofcarry ons (typically two per passenger) you really do not have to much of a choice. My husband and I fly quite often all our luggage is LV and I tend to over pack. We check all of it with the exception of 1 carry on. I have never had a problem. The luggage is made so well the more you use it the better it looks like most LV.

I think the poster is asking about LV luggage, not bags. There is a difference and I would assume that since LV started out as a luggage company, their luggage pieces would be durable enough for checking in :idea:

Exactly!

I check mine, they are after all suitcases! Are they perfect, now? Of course not...there are a few scratches, scuffs, etc...but really they are fine.

What would be the point of having luggage if you couldn't use it.

Seems like I'm ripping up an old thread now, but here's my $.02.
I love LV luggage, but I can't afford much, so when I do get something, I get really emotionally attatched to it. I have a keepall 55 (which I'm working on getting a really good patina on btw:graucho:) and I hope I never have to check it in. People will say "why not? It's just luggage." For me, if it get some stains on it, that's tolerateable, but I'm scared to death that my bag and everything in it will get stolen. As said, I'm really sentimental about my stuff, so if a lot of stuff that I'm attatched to and a really expensive bag got stolen, I'd be devastated! And as far as I know, airlines only cover up to a certain sum of money which I heard that doesn't even cover for the price of the keepall, so that's definately not encuraging.
That said, I'd love to own a pegase and some alzers at one point :love:

When I was younger (we are talking middle school), I knew a girl who's family moved to Switzerland for a couple of years - they were loaded, well their daughter had a LV duffle and it was not real (although they could certainly afford the real thing, maybe b/c the girl was only middle school age at the time) ...regardless, this is SO BAD!! They were coming back from Switzerland to the US and the duffle got damaged - ripped, if memory serves me right...well, the airline replaced the FAKE with an authentic! Can you believe that, I was like - unbelievable!!!!

Whoa.. that is incredible:shrugs:

I think everyone is underestimating Louis Vuitton's craftsmanship. When I was vacationing a lot and stayed a long time at my villa, I brought my Louis Vuitton Pegases and checked them in. They got lightly scratched on the leather, but it was in perfect condition besides that. I admit I was afraid of theft and someone would take one, but I had my driver pick them up and bring them to the car. So it's all right to check them in. If you have a bag, I would highly recommend to carry that on the plane and not check that in. But Louis Vuitton luggage is made for jet setters and will last a very long time.