LV Leather vs Chanel Bag

RealHouseWife1

The Universe Guru
O.G.
May 23, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I have a great assortment of LV Canvas bags and recently started looking into the Empreinte and Mahina bags. Some of my subscribers have been insisting I also look into Chanel so I went to Chanel this weekend and here is my dilemma:

I love the Chanel grand shopping tote in caviar but that bag would not stay on my shoulder no matter what trick or handle bending magic I tried. Also it seems kind of delicate and high maintenance for my casual lifestyle. I don't want to save any bags for special occasions. I should be able to use it on a daily basis and am concerned about quality with everyday wear.

I also looked at the medium, jumbo, and maxi flaps. Gorgeous bags but the double flaps would drive me insane. Also those bags don't hold as much as it seems. I have a 2 year old and need to be able to carry his things.

I feel like its now or never with Chanel for me since their price increases are getting insane. I do find Chanel a little matronly for me but some of my subbies keep insisting I'm going to regret it later if I don't buy now. Am I forcing myself into buying a impractical bag simply because it's a "must have in everyone's collection"??

I don't have any issues with LV leather lines. Also I have a great Team of LV sales agents/managers so quality issues are not a big concern. I know they will take care of me. LV leather is also more low-key and not in your face as Chanel according to my hubby. (he is the type who doesn't like to flaunt his money and likes to live way below his means).

What to do? Stick with what appeals to me and works with my life right now or buy a brand simple because I might want it later and it will be more expensive by then?

What would you guys do?

XO,

Mina

I have tried and tried to love chanel but it is definitely too matronly for me. Not my lifestyle. I do own a few, clutch and mini for dress wear, but for everyday wear I love my LV. I love the ease of the canvas and the subtleness and sumptuous of the leather pieces. My pic is way outdated, so don't go based on what you see there. I say buy what you like and what suits your style. You can never go wrong that way.

You don't sound convinced about Chanel. I love Chanel but I agree that the GST is not a grab and go bag. I had to buy a ZCP just to be able to carry sunglasses and a wallet in my Jumbo double flap because my Sarah took up most of the bag. Have you considered a Chanel reissue tote - simply gorgeous and no logo. My overall favorite from Chanel or LV is the sofia Coppola. I debated the reissue tote and SC and glad I opted for The SC. I will still get a reissue tote at some point.

I would think, but don't know because I haven't ever seen or shopped for chanel, that the LV leather, especially the Empreinte would be more durable and easier to maintain and less prone to scratches or showing scratches if they did happen. That being said I love my Lumi and wallet in Empreinte, but they are still new.

You don't sound convinced about Chanel. I love Chanel but I agree that the GST is not a grab and go bag. I had to buy a ZCP just to be able to carry sunglasses and a wallet in my Jumbo double flap because my Sarah took up most of the bag. Have you considered a Chanel reissue tote - simply gorgeous and no logo. My overall favorite from Chanel or LV is the sofia Coppola. I debated the reissue tote and SC and glad I opted for The SC. I will still get a reissue tote at some point.

The reissue is a great bag and what about a cerf tote those are nice and you can get a per loved single flap online if you look around

I have tried and tried to love chanel but it is definitely too matronly for me. Not my lifestyle. I do own a few, clutch and mini for dress wear, but for everyday wear I love my LV. I love the ease of the canvas and the subtleness and sumptuous of the leather pieces. My pic is way outdated, so don't go based on what you see there. I say buy what you like and what suits your style. You can never go wrong that way.

What about the Sofia Coppola you seem to use your speedy and that shape looks nice on you

Great advice guys! I haven't look at the SC bags at all and will definitely try them in the store next time.

The reissue is a great bag and what about a cerf tote those are nice and you can get a per loved single flap online if you look around

I would think, but don't know because I haven't ever seen or shopped for chanel, that the LV leather, especially the Empreinte would be more durable and easier to maintain and less prone to scratches or showing scratches if they did happen. That being said I love my Lumi and wallet in Empreinte, but they are still new.

Thanks guys. Haven't looked at the reissue. Will have to go back and try that and the Cerf tote. I don't want to buy anything preloved - so will have to be brand new in any case.

I am leaning towards to Empreinte more at this point. Such a gorgeous leather and print!!

Thanks guys. Haven't looked at the reissue. Will have to go back and try that and the Cerf tote. I don't want to buy anything preloved - so will have to be brand new in any case.

I am leaning towards to Empreinte more at this point. Such a gorgeous leather and print!!

Empriente is definitely the workhorse of the LV leathers. It is very durable though not at as supple as Mahina, SC or Antheia. So if you are concerned about care and durability, it's the way to go. I beat my Citadine and it looks brand new. It's not indestructible but I do things to it that I would never do to my Chanels (even caviar) or SC. I even prefer it to my Neverfull for travel.

I own several Chanel classic flap handbags. They're beautiful, but for me, not for everyday, too small and heavy. If you're going out to dinner, a classical concert or a nice luncheon, there's nothing better. Sure to turn eyes.

I finished my Chanel collection last year and now want everyday bags
that I love. So, I'm onto LV. I'm on order for the upcoming Speedy B 30 in Azur, and will soon be getting an Alma PM in mono. Eventually a couple of LV totes.

If you want a larger leather LV bag, wait until the Speedy B Empreinte comes in the 30 or 35 size. I'm waiting for one and will pounce on a Speedy 30 Empreinte as soon as it becomes available.

I've been having the same dilemma. I have always dreamed of owning a Chanel bag, but most of the styles seem so delicate and I'm not one to baby my bags. I also don't want to spend $$$ on a bag that has to only come out for special occasions. I'm really torn between Speedy Empreinte & a Chanel (probably a seasonal flap)... but I feel like the Chanel situation is now or never, it seems they are trying to reach the H price level :nogood: I'm 26 and I feel like I'll be kicking myself in 5-10 years if they become an unattainable dream.

I am a big fan of Chanel, now I have 19 Chanel classic flap bags and 1 speedy damier for everyday use. I used to have several LV bags but have found that LV is not my style. You should buy what you like, not just its a must have.