LV Kirigami PM epi or Hermes Bastia (either Chevre Mysore or Epsom)

Nov 29, 2016
Friends, it is always hard to ask a brand question because you have to choose a forum and thus invite bias. Nonetheless, here we go.

As you've guessed, I am thinking about buying my first SLG. I've narrowed it down to two choices, the LV Kirigami PM in epi or Hermes Bastia (either Chevre Mysore or Epsom).

What draws me to the Hermes Bastia choices is 1) I don't have any Hermes and would like to give it a try, 2) I think I like the way you can open the top and scooch the coins around and see what's what, 3) love the colors, and 4) the inconspicuous of it (no branding). Downside--I cannot put a card in it and might want to sometimes.

What draws me to the LV Kirigami PM epi is 1) I can fit cards if I want to, 2) Inconspicuous branding, 3) I don't have any epi pieces now since I've sold my Speedy red epi. Downsides--1) The one I am looking at is pre-owned and red. My Leatherology wallet (which I love) is red and I've got too dang much red including probably 3 red purses, 2) I've got a lot of Louis Vuitton. For some people, this is not an issue, but I'm starting to feel a little too Louis Vuitton-y.

I like the LV circular coin purses, but I don't want more LV mono and it's out of the price range I am looking for.

The Hermes Calvi is kind of an option, but I think I want something smaller. I also don't think it's great for coins. I might be wrong.

What do you think?

Reactions: Kellybuzzbuzz
I have all of items you are considering. I don't love the Kirigami because you can 't put coins without worrying that they will come out the side. I love my Hermes Bastia, but I don't like the Calvi. The Calvi doesn't even hold cards very well. When you open the Calvi the cards on one side come flying out, and you definitely can't hold coins in it. If your main purpose is for coins, the best is the Basita or the LV round coin. For cards, the Kirigami is great. Good luck deciding!

I have all of items you are considering. I don't love the Kirigami because you can 't put coins without worrying that they will come out the side. I love my Hermes Bastia, but I don't like the Calvi. The Calvi doesn't even hold cards very well. When you open the Calvi the cards on one side come flying out, and you definitely can't hold coins in it. If your main purpose is for coins, the best is the Basita or the LV round coin. For cards, the Kirigami is great. Good luck deciding!
Thank you SO MUCH! This is a great answer! Do you have either the Chevre or the Epsom leather and if so, which would you recommend for the Bastia?

I *think* my main purpose will be coins. I have a bulky coin pouch with a zipper and it's fine, but I have a $200 site credit and I think I would enjoy having a thinner option. The Kirigami is still tempting me because it just looks so dang cool. But the truth is, there is no need to replace my Leatherology card case, so I should probably focus on a coin pouch.

I definitely would choose a Hermes Bastia. I’m interested in any leather besides Epsom. Their chevre is gorgeous. Such pretty colors too. That coral pink they have on their website right now is my jam. My husband thinks the Hermes silk n change purse is prettier but I like the Bastia better. Simple and small which works well in all bags.

I do like the LV zippy coin purse but it’s pretty big. It would be fine as a slimmed down wallet but too big for coin purse in my opinion. Let us know what you choose and please show us pictures.

Rose Lipstick? Oooh, that's nice. Aren't they all. I see why people collect these, the colors are lovely.
Rose lipstick or rose Texas. I like both. Bleu Frida is also pretty. They had this dark teal color for a bit that I thought was pretty. Did you look at the silk n change coin purse? They usually have more color options but they only have the blush pink right now.

Thanks, I just took a look at it. It's nice and it seems there's a bit of Hermes scarf inside (I love my H scarves!), but the Bastia piqued my interest. I love the Origami inspiration.

I ordered it! I went for the Bastia in Chevre and it is in pink inside and out. I like contrasting colors, but this is what was available and it is so...pink! I'll post a pic when it comes in.

The seller should be happy. I think it was just listed this morning. instant sale for her!

Thanks for your help. I got two fast replies pushing me towards Hermes on an LV forum. Thanks for the push I needed.

Reactions: Kellybuzzbuzz
Do you know what the color is called? Can’t wait to see your reveal :smile:
Thanks, I just took a look at it. It's nice and it seems there's a bit of Hermes scarf inside (I love my H scarves!), but the Bastia piqued my interest. I love the Origami inspiration.

I ordered it! I went for the Bastia in Chevre and it is in pink inside and out. I like contrasting colors, but this is what was available and it is so...pink! I'll post a pic when it comes in.

The seller should be happy. I think it was just listed this morning. instant sale for her!

Thanks for your help. I got two fast replies pushing me towards Hermes on an LV forum. Thanks for the push I needed.

Thank you SO MUCH! This is a great answer! Do you have either the Chevre or the Epsom leather and if so, which would you recommend for the Bastia?

I *think* my main purpose will be coins. I have a bulky coin pouch with a zipper and it's fine, but I have a $200 site credit and I think I would enjoy having a thinner option. The Kirigami is still tempting me because it just looks so dang cool. But the truth is, there is no need to replace my Leatherology card case, so I should probably focus on a coin pouch.
I have the Epsom leather for the Bastia and it has held up great! I use daily, and no issues. I have Chevre for the Calvi and I don't think it feels as durable. Since I don't use it that much, I'm not sure how it would hold up longterm.

I just went back to look at the Epsom again. It was already marked down, I thought, would I pick up a second Bastia if they marked it down further? But poof! It was gone! I don't know, but I have a feeling I'm going to like the Bastia in any leather. People find multiple purposes for these lovely little pops of color.

So...I received the rose Chevre and used it for coins and bills. Loved everything about it, the color, ease of use, usefulness, feel of leather, condition (it's pristine).

Liked it so much, I started scouring the purse-web (the nicer cousin of the dark-web) for cute and cheap Bastias. I've landed two. One, I think, is Evercolor Gold, and the other is Bleu Frida and I don't know what kind of leather it is.

Can anyone help me determine the leathers I have? I cannot find any Bleu Fridas that are not Verso (scratch my head). Gold Evercolor seems right. Both are less puffy than the Chevre, but maybe they were both stored poory (they each have more wear on the crease and look like they were stored flatted under something).

I'm using the Rose d'ete Chevre for money, the Gold (possible) Evercolor for ear buds, and the Bleu Frida (unknown leather) for keys--but I am kind of afraid the keys are too pokey, so I might find a different way to use it.

IMG_6383.jpgIMG_6384.jpgIMG_6381.jpgIMG_6382.jpg

Thanks for the input. I took a guess at the gold being Evercolor. I am completely new to H leathers, but found the Gold Bastia in Evercolor and *thought* the Epson tended to be very stiff. Is that incorrect?

I was thinking the Bleu was Chevre.

Thank you!!

I don’t own any Epsom but from my understanding it does soften with time like any leather. Evercolour has a much finer grain than Epsom. Epsom is a bit of a love or hate leather. It does keep its shape over time better than chèvre though and seems more hardwearing. Slgs are a great way to try different leathers and see what you prefer