LV is overrated?

deboshre

May 16, 2010
What do you think?
By overrated I mean...its not worth the time, money and effort most people invest into buying a Louis Vuitton, over and over again!
I've been in and out of the obsession...I have friends/relatives that own over 20+ LV bags/shoes, and still want that gorgeous new LV they saw at the boutique. For me its come to a point that I am repulsed by the sight of people losing their peace of mind or constantly obsessing or saving up just so they could buy that new style.
I've seen several threads right here on tPF about how some of us think we've overspent on a bag, have second thoughts after throwing hard earned $$$, having to cut back on lifestyle etc just so they can flash around a new LV.

With the prices constantly rising, and people giving into LV's pricing gimmicks...I really feel LV is overrated! A speedy that was worth around $620 yesterday CANNOTTTTTT be worth over $100 more, a year later!! And...Don't even get me started on the Mahina!

Is it really worth the all this fuss?

Iit's worth it to me because I don't smoke, I don't drink so I spend it on LV because they make me happy. With the price rising, I buy preloved and saved $$$. My preloved Mahina XL Noir, I saved nearly $2000-in great condition.
I've recently been a victim of cyberbullying so to help me cope with some of the pain and emotional distress, I treated myself to two Louis Vuitton handbags. It's all in how you choose to spend your money.

I just purchased a bag (Antheia Ixia) that was over 3K.... and yes that's a lot of $$$ in my eyes, but I was rewarding myself from retiring from a job w/30 years at age 48 and starting my own business. Everytime I look (or use) this bag, I will be reminded of my hard work and accomplishments! :broom:

Yep, it's worth every penny! ;)

RhudyTootie..congrats on your antheia :smile: I'm not talking about customers like you that have thought through a purchase and consider your LV a reward.
For me buying LV is like buying jewelry..its a rare occasion treat..I invest in it if I believe I truly deserve it. I bought myself 2 bags when I got my first job. I bought my mom one coz she's never imagined she could ever own a LV! I cherish things like that.

But I never had to obsess over it. I know I want one..I don't have to cut back on any part of my lifestyle to be able to afford one. But for people that constantly obsess over it...feel the need to buy another just after they got one..I feel for them. Only because its purely materialistic! But of course..to each his own..

Not worth it for me. I much prefer the quality and exclusivity of Hermes over LV (however I prefer LV's prices!). I think I'd rather spend money on Goyard over LV (which are similarly priced) b.c Goyard's pieces are hand-made/hand-painted. I am all about the quality, and for their prices, LV's quality just doesn't justify the cost.

i think it depends on where you are financially. if you can afford it, i feel there is nothing wrong with spending some money on something that makes you happy every time you see it or carry it.

however, if you are struggling to make ends meet, or have a lot of debt or spending issues in general, then i can see where guilt/regret would set in.

am i happy with LV's constant pricing increases? nope, not one bit. will that prevent me from purchasing another bag? nope. i feel it's still worth it to save for something that's going to make feel good owning it. sometimes nothing can accomplish what retail therapy can give you in return! :P

Whether something is 'worth it' to somebody or not really is such a personal thing. I buy my bags because they give me pleasure and, after going through a very rough two years, when something makes me happy I take what I can get. I don't feel that the time, money and effort invested in the bags I have is a waste so no, LV is not overrated to me.

my bags make me happy. i enjoy buying them, carrying them, looking at other people's bags and reading about them on tPF. i don't spend a lot of money on my clothes or shoes because my profession calls for casual, durable clothing. so i spend my extra on LV's :biggrin:

My husband resisted me getting LV for years - once I finally got one he admitted that one time when I was out he took a good look at it and thought the quality was worth the money! If he thinks it's worth it, anyone would!

RhudyTootie..congrats on your antheia :smile: I'm not talking about customers like you that have thought through a purchase and consider your LV a reward.
For me buying LV is like buying jewelry..its a rare occasion treat..I invest in it if I believe I truly deserve it. I bought myself 2 bags when I got my first job. I bought my mom one coz she's never imagined she could ever own a LV! I cherish things like that.

But I never had to obsess over it. I know I want one..I don't have to cut back on any part of my lifestyle to be able to afford one. But for people that constantly obsess over it...feel the need to buy another just after they got one..I feel for them. Only because its purely materialistic! But of course..to each his own..

Then who ARE you taking about? I don't get your point of this thread at all..:thinking:

I admit: I find it really hard to spend on LV. As much as I love the Damier Ebene line, that fact that it is canvas - when I could get an actual leather bag from a contemporary line, for about the same price - keeps me from splurging.

The leather lines - with the exception of a couple of Vernis accesories, and the Artsy - aren't really my taste. Personally, I'd choose (and have chosen) to spend my money, when I've saved up, on leathers from Balenciaga or Chloe, versus a Mahina (for instance.)