LV hardware quality issue...

nij_lv

Sep 9, 2013
hey ladies and gents, i purchased a damier ebene cles five weeks ago and have been using it multiple times daily (~3 times daily).

i attach my keys and keep them both inside and outside the pouch. Earlier today i noticed the gold hardware on the hook chipped! wth?!

Has LV quality declined so much lately? I only have it over a month and i take good care of my LVs. I know its plated but still...it's LV and I expect quality products! even if it's just something small and inexpensive as a cles. I was actually thinking about getting the Alma but considering the low quality hardware LV is producing im definitely not getting it anytime soon now. I would be so pissed if my Alma's zipper pull and lock starts peeling like this after a month!

Sorry about the rant but thought ppl would want to know...

Attachments

• 1411690357313.jpg
    1411690357313.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 5,322
  • 1411690374360.jpg
    1411690374360.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5,213
Mine is the same but the chipping appears on the very top center of the key hook. :Push:
I ruled mine as a wear and tear since the chipped area hit exactly where it bang against my jean rivet. Honestly I am not pleased with the gold hardware quality. Seems they only apply a thin amount of gold brass or what ever they are using. :tdown:

Take it back and ask for it to be either repaired or replaced since it shouldn't be chipping like that after only a month. LV is really letting their quality go downhill in the last couple of years...I have bags that are 17, 16, and 14 years old and don't have any problems/flaws whatsoever

Chain and hook replacements are always free for cles. Due to the nature of how they are used - being attached to other metals - chipping and breaking are common. Lv are happy to replace them, free, in-house (usually) and have a 3 week turnaround at my store, it was ready 9 days later :smile:

The lock on my Speedy was already tarnished when I got it home from the store! And I've seen a bit of chipping on my ZCP (but it's over four years old so I'm not really complaining about that).

I have a $200 Kate Spade with 24k gold plated hardware that still looks brand new after 5 or 6 years - if KS can do that on a $200 bag I don't understand why LV can't at the prices they charge.

The lock on my Speedy was already tarnished when I got it home from the store! And I've seen a bit of chipping on my ZCP (but it's over four years old so I'm not really complaining about that).

I have a $200 Kate Spade with 24k gold plated hardware that still looks brand new after 5 or 6 years - if KS can do that on a $200 bag I don't understand why LV can't at the prices they charge.

Exactly the point that is why LV can't use better quality for their hardware? Overall their canvas is ok, but the point that stop me of buying LV because of their hardware tarnish or oxidise easily. Sigh... Hopefully one day LV will use gold plated on the hardware. It really makes me angry that they keep increase the price, but they never think of improving their quality.

Reactions: bubablu
The hardware if LV is really bad quality!
I have problems with my strap of the Alma Parnassea (a 4000 Dollar bag!!)
I have posted it: Problems with the strap of Alma Parnassea!

Hey everyone,

So i have had my hardware turn silver (which LV has replaced the zipper pulls for me for free) but I was looking at preloved items and seen a lot of tarnished brass.
Because the brass oxidizes, it needs to be polished to retain the gold. However, some things i've seen look like the gold is chipping and the metal underneath is black/ tarnished.
Is this normal or are these counterfeit items?
$_57.JPG

Thanks for your input!

Hey everyone,

So i have had my hardware turn silver (which LV has replaced the zipper pulls for me for free) but I was looking at preloved items and seen a lot of tarnished brass.
Because the brass oxidizes, it needs to be polished to retain the gold. However, some things i've seen look like the gold is chipping and the metal underneath is black/ tarnished.
$_57.JPG

Thanks for your input!

I'm not enough of of an expert to know whether this item is genuine or not, but the hardware on my ZCP (over four years old) and Speedy (over three years old) is starting to look like this but not as severely. I know mine are real LV because I bought them at an LV store. I wouldn't buy preloved that already looks like this (unless you know it's real LV and it's very cheap) because it is only going to get worse.

I'm not enough of of an expert to know whether this item is genuine or not, but the hardware on my ZCP (over four years old) and Speedy (over three years old) is starting to look like this but not as severely. I know mine are real LV because I bought them at an LV store. I wouldn't buy preloved that already looks like this (unless you know it's real LV and it's very cheap) because it is only going to get worse.

Very good point. I was just curious to know if its normal for the brass to tarnish like this! I feel like the quality is just sub-par (the brass scratches, fades, and even stains vachetta) and high maintenance. I wonder if LV would ever replace the brass with another kind of metal that doesn't oxidize, tarnish, and hopefully one that is lighter as well! (..wishful thinking...)

Actually, what you're seeing is not solid brass that oxidizes and needs polishing. It's brass plating over base metal, so when the brass wears off, polishing won't bring it back to a gold color. When you see chipping/gold color loss, it's the erosion of the brass plating. That is sadly normal in most LV.