LV charged my card without authorization

cmd28

CD
O.G.
Mar 6, 2007
I purchased a Pochette Metis last week from a LV store inside Nordstroms. After getting home and looking at my e-receipt I noticed that the SA charged me $1650 instead of $1700. I thought, well it's a small mistake and I honestly was a little psyched that I was charged the price it was before the increase a few months ago. Too good to be true. A few days later, my Nordstrom credit card statement showed that I was charged $1700 (not $1650 like MY receipt showed). I called Nordstrom's credit card department and they investigated the discrepancy between what I paid in store and what my statement was showing. Apparently, LV voided my transaction and re-charged my card for $1700 WITHOUT my authorization. It was their mistake to charge me at the incorrect price, and it feels completely wrong for them to make that price adjustment without my consent. They told me that I would have to go to LV to discuss if they will adjust my charge since they were not able to do it.

Now, I may get some heat for not being honest about the incorrect charge to begin with. However, as a customer, if a store incorrectly prices an item and sells it at that price, they can't just decide AFTER it's been sold that they can just recharge my card without my knowledge.

I'm not sure if I should make a deal out of it and go to the store and complain about the charge w/o authorization. I like my SA and I don't want to make our relationship awkward. I don't really care as much for the $50, it's the fact that they made an additional charge to my card without my consent (and I had used a bunch of Nordies notes I was saving up - which was not reapplied when they voided and recharged). It just feels wrong that they did that!! Am I overreacting?

The fact that they charged you without contacting you for authorization is very unprofessional. I would want some sort of explanation the very least. Maybe just ask your SA about this?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I was worried that even if I complained to the store manager about the unauthorized purchase that they would just shoot me down because it was a mistake and that I had to pay it.

I was wondering the same thing - if I had to return/exchange the purse for any reason, it would be such a headache. My receipt would show that I paid $1650 and not $1700 (unless they were to check my credit card statement). And maybe my receipt is completely invalid now since they voided the transaction!

I called Nordstrom's credit card department and they were able to tell me that the store voided the transaction then recharged it. She wasn't able to adjust the price on her end but suggested I go back to LV to talk it out with them. I'm not sure if it's because the charge was through LV since it's technically a separate company.

I think I will go back to the store and bring up the fact that this charge was unauthorized and see what they say. I honestly hate confrontations. I do still want them to apply my nordstrom notes.

Ugh. Such a waste of my time! I'm so disappointed in this store.

Reactions: KimLV
Sorry you have to go through the annoyance; LV should apologize and give you the original price as charged as a goodwill gesture. (And I don't get why NORDSTROM's credit card can't make an adjustment...???? whaaa?) LV should very well know that you left the store with a bogus receipt in case you ever have an issue with your bag.

I would definitely go to the LV boutique and tell them that you are upset! I'm sure you would rather have the bag, but this is not right. If they didn't fix this, I would return the bag. It's their loss!

I'm going to share an unpopular opinion.

First, the store was very unprofessional at recharging your card without your approval. This I agree with everyone else. They should either kept it at the original charge (good customer service) or contact you first regarding the incorrect amount.

However, based on your post, it seems like you knew that the bag costs $1700, which I'm assuming was the price listed on the price tag (and may be even during your discussion with your SA? Just guessing here because most people would ask how much an item is before handing over a credit card). Once you went home and discovered that you were charged less, you thought you got lucky. If this is the case, then you knew and were suppose to pay the full amount. Yes, the SA made a mistake at charging an incorrect amount but if the customer knew and was expecting to pay $1700, I can understand why they voided the incorrect charge and recharged you because technically you already agreed to pay the full price. It wasn't like they double charged you. It was only a matter of inputting an incorrect number and then erasing that and put in the correct one. Again, I'm not saying what they did was correct. It's actually very unprofessional.

Now it will be a different story if the price tag listed the lower price and you were told the lower price by that SA but discovered that you were charged more. In this case, even if the second charge was correct, I would take this up with the store manager.

I wouldn't worry too much, as voiding charges has happened to me a lot in my lifetime especially in restaurants (coupons and stuff like that often get mischarged and sometimes mistakes happen). If it was labeled wrong, I could see it being a big deal (had this happen with a pair of Prada shoes and they honored the lower price for me) but luckily, at least you knew what the original price was. I get how it can be disappointing, considering how excited you were over saving money, but honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things because these types of things happen regularly. However, I do agree that you should've been notified. I think if it really does bother you, you do have every right to complain. But if I were in your position, I wouldn't take it personally and I would just focus on the bigger thing - enjoying the fab new bag! ;D

Personally, the moment I realized the receipt was incorrect I'd have gone back and ensured it was corrected and I paid the correct, higher, price.

That said, I do agree that LV was wrong to void and re-issue the charge unauthorized as, like others, that would make me concerned about the validity of the existing receipt and its impact on exchanges, returns and repairs (not sure if a repair requires receipt or transaction code, I don't own LV). So while I wouldn't necessarily complain about a void and recharge (unless I was quoted the lower price and they later voided and charged me a higher price), I would go in and insist on a new, correct receipt for my records.

I agree with everyone else that an employee should have had the courtesy to notify you. But since it appears you knew before the purchase that the correct price was $1700, I would let it go. You thought you got a deal (that's always nice), but in the end you paid the correct price.

Reactions: Mariapia
I would follow up on the Nordstrom notes though so that they're applied to the new charge.
This is a good learning opportunity for the SA regarding proper payment rules with a credit card. There are many who don't understand how they work, their master agreement with the card companies and proper verification. I am sure if you'd paid by check the SA wouldn't have altered it but unfortunately it's hard to see how similar these situations are for people who have never learned anything but card or cash. Be firm but also let it be a teaching moment for that store on training.

Reactions: KimLV