Lv bag better investment than jewelry?

Mcandy

Jul 24, 2013
Hmm...ive been argueing with hubby over this...i was choosing between a cartier trinity ring over LV bag and he said its better to get the bag. You see, gold jewelry is sold per weight rather than designer in our country...he has a point though...if i buy a thousand dollar ring right now and sell it back home ill just be able to get back like a hundred...im thinking the value of gold is depreciating anyway but at least its bound to last a long time right? No stitching to worry or wear and tear. On the other hand, LV i think has more resale value. I would get more money from it in the instance i would tire of my collection and will need cash. Not that i buy bag to sell but who knows what the future has store for me right?hmm...so the question is which is a better investment bag or jewelry? Input anyone...

Hmm...ive been argueing with hubby over this...i was choosing between a cartier trinity ring over LV bag and he said its better to get the bag. You see, gold jewelry is sold per weight rather than designer in our country...he has a point though...if i buy a thousand dollar ring right now and sell it back home ill just be able to get back like a hundred...im thinking the value of gold is depreciating anyway but at least its bound to last a long time right? No stitching to worry or wear and tear. On the other hand, LV i think has more resale value. I would get more money from it in the instance i would tire of my collection and will need cash. Not that i buy bag to sell but who knows what the future has store for me right?hmm...so the question is which is a better investment bag or jewelry? Input anyone...
It's probably true that aside from the gold, you are also paying for the brand of the jewelry. However, I believe that other (non-branded) jewelry will probably keep its value. Luxury bags may or may not keep a high resale value, depending if the style is limited edition and also depending on the condition of the bag. Good luck deciding!

(Hmm...ive been argueing with hubby over this...i was choosing between a cartier trinity ring over LV bag and he said its better to get the bag. You see, gold jewelry is sold per weight rather than designer in our country...he has a point though...if i buy a thousand dollar ring right now and sell it back home ill just be able to get back like a hundred...im thinking the value of gold is depreciating anyway but at least its bound to last a long time right? No stitching to worry or wear and tear. On the other hand, LV i think has more resale value. I would get more money from it in the instance i would tire of my collection and will need cash. Not that i buy bag to sell but who knows what the future has store for me right?hmm...so the question is which is a better investment bag or jewelry? Input anyone...)

IMO both are bad "investments." Especially if you plan on really using your bag, bc it will wear, and jewelry will scratch. (Yes, I guess both can be repaired or polished.) I think the only way to buy either is just because you love the item. If you start making decisions based on holding value then you might not enjoy the item you buy, or buy what you really want. Maybe just get what you really want? IMO financial decisions and bags and jewelry just are separate. But that's just my opinion! I just think you get what you really want and will enjoy and not worry about it as investment, unless you are really sure you will quickly resell the item. Maybe don't overthink it. If you are looking for better value you could also buy an estate piece. To make yourself feel better you could also take an equal amount of money and invest it, so even if you lose money if you sell the bag/ring you can still see the actual money you've invested?

Last edited:
Neither is an investment ;) all depreciating consumer goods. In terms of worth metal does not get destroyed the way bags do but you don't know what the price of gold will be when you sell it. Gold is priced per weight although there is some premium for design and brand. You can't predict how a particular used bag is going to sell on the used market.

As the others have said, it's a bad idea to think of these things as investments. Luxury goods get used and depreciate. If you're not using them, you're doing it wrong.

That said, if you're going to try to look at things from the resale value perspective:

You're considering the value of LV as compared to regular handbags, you have to do the same for a Cartier ring as compared to other jewelry in order to make a good choice.

A Cartier ring will always sell for more than a similar ring without the label, (obviously as long as the brand's image holds). I think Cartier as a jewelry purveyor is just as well-regarded as LV is as a purveyor of leather goods - if not more so. If you're speaking in terms of long-held value, gold has been the standard for value representation since pretty much the dawn of civilization. If the apocalypse happens and labels become meaningless, the ring will probably still be worth something. The bag will... hold your stuff.

All else being the same, I'd go for the jewelry myself, unless I needed the bag for its functionality.

Also consider this:
An LV bag is actually a useful item - you can carry stuff in it. A ring is purely a decorative toy. A fancy bag is also kind of a decorative toy but at least it has some purpose. Jewelry is just for fun. If you don't love it and don't have cash to burn it's not worth it.

Depends on the quality of your jewelry. Good diamonds and fine jewelry hold their value better, while handbags will not, as some became quickly out of fashion or ruined. A good diamond last forever...