LV at the workplace

Your bonus is dependent on how much you make and where you spend it? From where I'm from, its about performance.
Mine is truly performance based that’s supported by an internal metric system. I wouldn’t think this would play a factor, but I’m not sure how ratings are calculated in other companies and whether they’re as formalized as mine. I think this was a general statement made.

As a general note to my initial discussion, I wanted to really get insight as to how impactful this statement is to others. I’m not encouraging bashing or negative commentary as everyones experiences are different. It just really made me pause and think for a second. This was also a discussion I had with my husband and our opinions differed - so it was just an interesting topic for me. I believe some individuals are a lot more sensitive dependent on their work culture.

I had a poor experience just today at work that relates directly to this topic. I’m a teacher, so of course, everyone knows we are not making lavish paychecks. But I’ve saved for years and tutored and worked side jobs to afford my small luxury collection. With that said, people only judge what they can directly see and that is a teacher carrying a Louis Vuitton. No one is going to ask me how I got the bags. Another teacher today just made a not so nice remark towards me when I told a coworker what perfume I was wearing when she asked about it (“Louis Vuitton, Coeur Battant” was my reply). Their response was “Of course it is...” and man, that hit me in the gut for some reason. Made me feel quite small. But I’m super sensitive. I’m sure I just need to grow up and not care. As always though, that’s easier said than done. So now, I’ve regretted ever bringing my handbags to work.
Let no one dim your light. Keep carrying your bags wherever you go. Toxic and unhappy people contaminate everything. Stay away from them!!
Thank you for being an educator. You’re an everyday hero! :smile:
FB8CD62A-F267-4387-BFA5-C8F39B8107EB.jpeg

I can imagine that in smaller companies a bonus/pay rise is up to manager's/owner discretion and therefore wearing luxury goods COULD give a wrong message. However (as much as I understand it's not easy) would say - run away from a toxic place where your spending or wealth of your spouse or eg. the fact that somebody has kids and you don't will decide about your compensation. My employer (large bank) set a pretty clear expectations regarding bonus ranges and outfit/bags have nothing to do with it.
If the influencer you watched was Sophie Shohet, I think it's IMO inconsistent for her to advise not to wear lux bags to work (as she does) and then display enormous wealth on youtube to be followed by like 300k. Surely her manager and colleagues would get the memo ;)

lol it was from her. I take her sentiments with a grain of salt, since she’s a bit biased and an anomaly from your average worker. But her whole video just made me pause to think a second. I’ve never been one to judge others on what they purchase, but it just made me question if this really applies to anyone else.

Reactions: EmilyM111
I had a poor experience just today at work that relates directly to this topic. I’m a teacher, so of course, everyone knows we are not making lavish paychecks. But I’ve saved for years and tutored and worked side jobs to afford my small luxury collection. With that said, people only judge what they can directly see and that is a teacher carrying a Louis Vuitton. No one is going to ask me how I got the bags. Another teacher today just made a not so nice remark towards me when I told a coworker what perfume I was wearing when she asked about it (“Louis Vuitton, Coeur Battant” was my reply). Their response was “Of course it is...” and man, that hit me in the gut for some reason. Made me feel quite small. But I’m super sensitive. I’m sure I just need to grow up and not care. As always though, that’s easier said than done. So now, I’ve regretted ever bringing my handbags to work.
They’re salty, because they may not be managing their money as well as you. Keep doing you.

It depends on your job and the culture at your company... this has been discussed a million times.

Honestly my first reaction at seeing the thread title was “...again?”

Edit so I'm not (just) being a grumpy annoying person who spends too much time on tPF:
I think it's wonderful if you feel that you can wear whatever you want. But in reality sometimes being mindful is the right choice. Again it really depends.

One of my friends will not wear visible logos at his job which is technically government paid and he does not want to give the impression that he is wasting tax-payer money. I completely understand the reasoning. But he does use under the radar goods that most people can't tell.

I myself work in a very laid back company and feel totally fine rocking whatever I want. It really, really just depends. Use one's best judgement instead of trusting others who may just come from completely different backgrounds or workplaces.

I just think it is so sad that people cannot wear what makes them truly happy etc. People who spend the same amount on travelling for instance or on a makeover of their flat/house do not get judged. But then, it really depends where one wears their bags. In some environments people are judged if they do not wear a designer bag, which is not better at all.

Ask for a sample of the perfume next time you are at the LV store and bring it to her as a gift since she seemed to like it before she knew what it was. Kindness wins!

I wish I had! That’s funny lol

Thanks for the support guys. SERIOUSLY! I need to not care. Sounds like this topic has been discussed quite a bit but you all have made me feel better since it was brought up again so I appreciate that. Bags make me happy...I pay my bills, care for my kids, and we live great lives, so who cares if I do something nice for me!

Your bonus is dependent on how much you make and where you spend it? From where I'm from, its about performance.
You would be surprised how often supervisors and managers judge you based on NOT your performance but on who you are (including your fashion). I heard many times an opinion (stupid of course) that since your husband or boyfriend or whoever works for such & such company you do not need to earn much...on a positive note, this is an excellent sign to start looking for a new job. :smile:

I would not wear designer anything to an interview that is not in the fashion industry.

I’ve always carried my designer handbags to work, worn designer scarves, brooches, shoes, etc. It’s no ones business what I make and vice versa. Life is short so I am going to always do what I like. Should people also park across the street to avoid others seeing their luxury cars?
Every day is a special occasion and if I want to wear a designer or non-designer item to work, then I’ll do just that. BTW, our CFO has several Capucines and Louboutins.

Also, I don’t believe in social media influencers. A large percentage of them are living facades.
This!

Reactions: Dany_37
I go understated to an interview, but otherwise I carry my LVs daily! I work with predominantly men with only one here and there that notice. The girls under me all notice but don’t care. My feeling is, I spend most of my time at work, so if I’m only saving my LVs for the weekends, I’m not getting much use out of them. I rock the bags, scarves, and jewelry and if one day it costs me my job (which it won’t, highly illegal lol), well then that isn’t a company I want to work for anyway. Besides, who knows how I acquired it? Maybe my husband bought it, maybe it was a Christmas gift from my mother, maybe I got it off TRR almost free (true story with my Hermès scarf!), maybe I’m in a world of credit card debt over it, maybe it was a hand me down, etc etc... There’s a hundred reasons someone could be carrying luxury. Bottom line is no one really knows how someone acquired something unless asking directly, so unless you’re gonna ask, don’t judge!

Speaking of, our operations manager asked me today if my Montaigne MM was a Christmas gift, and I replied, “No, it would’ve been a lot cheaper if it was!” We both got a good laugh.