LV at Realreal

Weagle1294

Apr 14, 2015
What do you think about purchasing LV on Realreal? They have a bag I REALLY want that’s in great shape but they don’t have many pics and no pics of the date code or heat stamp. I can’t really zoom in on the pics they do have. They don’t offer returns. They charge for shipping, which is ridiculous to me. Just curious about others’ experiences.

I would never purchase on RealReal due to what you say above. No returns, plus have to pay shipping. Personally, I find Mercari is the easiest and allows returns within three days of receipt.

I chatted with their customer service today and determined I’ll never buy from them. So apparently something is not returnable if it’s discounted by 40%. However, the 40% “discount” is off original retail, so with few exceptions, many things will fall under the 40% discounted category, unless it’s really new or very rare. the bag I’m looking at is 7-8 or so years old. It’s in very good but not pristine condition. Anything like this is going to sell around 40% or more off the retail price from 8 years ago. So, what they are calling a discount, in my opinion, is really an interpretation of the current fair market value of a used luxury handbag. It’s cheaper bc it’s used, not because Realreal is knocking 40% off of the fair price of the item. If they were doing that, I could understand the item not being returnable. But if I’m paying their full price and paying for shipping, it should be returnable, at least for a week or 2. They fact that they don’t provide good pics and have this return policy bothers me a lot. They did indicate that return exceptions could possibly be made, but that would be their exception, not their rule, so you’d be at their mercy on whether they’d be willing to take back something. Everything is slanted in their favor, not shockingly, but I think they should give the buyer something. Like at least Fashionphile gives an authenticity guarantee and a return window. So, I’ll just choose to not shop Realreal because I don’t want to take any chances and I don’t want to battle them if I don’t like the item. I guess that makes me a fussy buyer. I don’t mind paying, but I don’t want to be stuck with a crappy looking item. If I could buy it new, i would, but this is a discontinued item. I don’t expect used to be new, but some used items are worse than others and everything can’t be seen in pics.

I have two items from them and likely would not buy again. Thankfully the LV bandeau was returnable and I did end up returning it since I really didn't like it in person. The other item I bought was a Tom Ford Jennifer bag which didn't work out for me. It was a large and the crossbody strap I found to be ackward, really more of a shoulder bag IMO. Anyway it was final sale and I would have returned it if I could have. What turned me off was a speedy that looked a bit off and their customer service email couldn't verify the date code or other information for me. Personally I prefer Fashionphile, for better or for worse, because I know I can return something within the 30 days hassle free. I can be indecisive a lot of the time so this is a definite perk for me.

Reactions: SatinDoll
First off I hate that you have to sign up just to view their inventory. For LV bags like the speedy they don't have pics of the heat stamp or date code. I would like to know where the bag is made and those pics help to confirm authenticity. They have been known to sell fakes, so honestly I wouldn't buy from them either. I was so excited when they had an item I was interested in and I could use the little $25 off, then I saw they charged for shipping, and the return policy, and I was like no way. I don't even browse their site anymore. Fashionphile offers 30 day returns, free shipping both ways, and while most items are overpriced, at least they do drop their prices.

Reactions: SatinDoll
First off I hate that you have to sign up just to view their inventory. For LV bags like the speedy they don't have pics of the heat stamp or date code. I would like to know where the bag is made and those pics help to confirm authenticity. They have been known to sell fakes, so honestly I wouldn't buy from them either. I was so excited when they had an item I was interested in and I could use the little $25 off, then I saw they charged for shipping, and the return policy, and I was like no way. I don't even browse their site anymore. Fashionphile offers 30 day returns, free shipping both ways, and while most items are overpriced, at least they do drop their prices.

Handbags are final sale / non returnable, and items discounted an additional 40% the TRR list price are final sale. This means if an LV scarf is listed for 60% off retail, and has an additional 30% off the TRR list price, you order it and don’t like it, you can still return it. If it was an additional 40% off the TRR list price, then it’s final sale. This doesn’t solve handbags returns, but you can pretty much return anything else if it doesn’t work out for you and isn’t reduced more than 40% off their resale list price.
I also recommend reaching out to their retail store team to request date code information + additional images. Depending on the price of a handbag, they can also transfer it to store near you for review before purchase.

I chatted with their customer service today and determined I’ll never buy from them. So apparently something is not returnable if it’s discounted by 40%. However, the 40% “discount” is off original retail, so with few exceptions, many things will fall under the 40% discounted category, unless it’s really new or very rare. the bag I’m looking at is 7-8 or so years old. It’s in very good but not pristine condition. Anything like this is going to sell around 40% or more off the retail price from 8 years ago. So, what they are calling a discount, in my opinion, is really an interpretation of the current fair market value of a used luxury handbag. It’s cheaper bc it’s used, not because Realreal is knocking 40% off of the fair price of the item. If they were doing that, I could understand the item not being returnable. But if I’m paying their full price and paying for shipping, it should be returnable, at least for a week or 2. They fact that they don’t provide good pics and have this return policy bothers me a lot. They did indicate that return exceptions could possibly be made, but that would be their exception, not their rule, so you’d be at their mercy on whether they’d be willing to take back something. Everything is slanted in their favor, not shockingly, but I think they should give the buyer something. Like at least Fashionphile gives an authenticity guarantee and a return window. So, I’ll just choose to not shop Realreal because I don’t want to take any chances and I don’t want to battle them if I don’t like the item. I guess that makes me a fussy buyer. I don’t mind paying, but I don’t want to be stuck with a crappy looking item. If I could buy it new, i would, but this is a discontinued item. I don’t expect used to be new, but some used items are worse than others and everything can’t be seen in pics.
That is absolutely crazy that they were taking the 40% off from original retail and it was that old of a bag! I haven't bought from the RealReal before but have looked on their website a ton. And the no return policy for a "discounted" item is insane! So glad you shared and I read this, will not be buying from the RealReal. Thanks for sharing, I hope you found a better option! :smile:

I have very slowly become disillusioned with RealReal. I've been shopping with them for about 2 1/2 years now and I've had just one too many negative experiences. Yes, as others have mentioned, the policies are ridiculous -- outrageous shipping and return costs, a nonsense final-sale policy on most handbags, a serious lack of quality photos, and incomplete or inaccurate item descriptions. But I've also received items with undisclosed damage (broken clasp on a bracelet, missing fabric tag on a scarf), incorrect sizing (on a pair of shoes), and significant smells (a final-sale handbag). The final straw for me was an LV Pochette Accessoires whose condition was listed as "Very good. Minor spots at interior." and had a large marker/ink stain in the pocket that was not in the photos.

Over the past few months I've been re-consigning many of the items I've bought from them, mostly to downsize my closet and get rid of things I don't truly love. This has brought a whole new level of frustration with RealReal. The aforementioned scarf with the missing fabric tag was rejected -- even though that was the same condition in which they sold it to me. I reached out to their customer service and asked why they wouldn't accept something that they sold me, in that condition. I got referred to several different people and it ended up going nowhere. Most recently I sent them two pairs of shoes that, again, were in the same condition as when I bought them; they were both rejected due to "interior staining." I had to laugh when I got them back since there was absolutely no staining. Yesterday an employee with "consignor relations" emailed me (as have others) to "offer any help with consigning" -- I told her my issue and sent her pictures of the non-stained shoes. We'll see what happens, but my guess is that it'll go nowhere, just like the scarf.

I have a few items that I'm considering consigning back to them, and once they all sell I think I'll be closing my account and taking my business to Fashionphile.

Same bad experience here.

They rejected an item I bought from them because it didn't meet their standard. I did not use this item and even all return tags are attached.

I sold them a LV item, they discounted for 40%. If I knew it, I would not have sold with them.

Customer service is a joke. They bounced you around with different people. So much frustration.

I also would never purchase LV or another luxury item from TRR if you were concerned about authenticity. When I have sent items in for selling they have had issues as other posters described and seemed unfamiliar with well known brands such as The Row, Chloe, Moncler, which inspired no confidence that the same authenticators would be able to spot fake LVs or other goods.