Luxury handbag or fine jewelry?

Would you...

• Sell the classic flap and get a Cartier bracelet

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • Keep the classic flap and forget about Cartier

Votes: 88 69.3%

• Total voters
I'd get the bracelet. Like you, I realized during the pandemic I could wear a nice piece of jewelry 24/7 and yet I didn't use a luxury bag once in almost a year. It was just an eye opening realization about handbags and their usefulness in my life. A bag, while really nice, doesn't have the same cost per wear. I wear my bracelet 24/7 and don't mind a lot of wear on it. If you're planning to take off the bracelet or worry about marks/wear then might as well stay with a bag. The bracelet would be a piece to wear all the time and enjoy.
Exactly my thoughts, and I intend to wear the bracelet 24/7. I also do not mind scratches and wear on it. And I know I will be getting much more wear out of the bracelet instead of the handbag.

I’m in the same situation. I feel that my bags aren’t getting that much love and even when I go into the office I opt not to wear them as I worry about all the hand sanitizers.
As for the Cartier piece getting scratched, there’s a TPF member who wears a wrist band to protect it while at home. I thought that was a good idea when doing house chores.

the work place is changing. Lots of organizations aren’t going back to the office - working from home is here and staying. Granted some orgs are offering a hybrid option. Could you perhaps sell something else besides the CF and see if you can use that money for the bracelet?
This will also give you time to decide if you are 100% sure about selling your CF.
I am a stay-at-home mom, so the work thing doesn’t make a difference for me. I really don’t mind my jewelries getting scratched up, so that is ok. As I do not feel like spending more money, the only bag that would cover the bracelet would be the classic flap. I love my classic woc which I actually get to use although not often, and all my other bags are gifts from hubby, which I won’t sell. Haha decisions decisions.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Pchul
That is such a difficult decision. Must you sell the bag in order to get the bracelet? My opinion is, you can get a custom made bracelet for less than a Cartier. I would keep the bag and get a bracelet you love that is not Cartier. The gold is worth only about $200.
I do have a 18k gold bangle that is handmade by my hubby, but it is a totally different style from cartier.

I have a few classic flaps, then went on to buy my Cartier Love. The bracelet is by far my most favourite item I’ve ever had! I wish I had bought it sooner.

The bracelet stays on me everyday so I get to admire it 24/7, unlike a bag.

The bag feels like a “been there, done that” thing and you sound like you are not getting enjoyment out of them anymore.

If you don’t have a luxury jewellery piece, I highly recommend! These days my focus has changed from bags to collecting jewellery.

Exactly!! “Been there, done that.” I have owned many “dream bags” but decided to let go of them, because I realized I only enjoy the moment leading right up to buying the bags, after that I am not so excited about the bags anymore. Not sure if that makes any sense.
I do have some luxury jewelry pieces, but they are more delicate ones that are not meant for daily wear.

100%

and like someone else mentioned, I’m totally against making decisions during such times..
I guess being stuck at home just gives me too much time to think about stuff... To be very honest, I am afraid I will regret letting go of the classic flap, at the same time I really don’t like not using my bags. I used to love collecting, and had quite an extensive collection, but one day I just felt it’s such a waste to have these beautiful bags sit on shelves, and it’s a pain having to upkeep them since I live in a humid city.

I guess being stuck at home just gives me too much time to think about stuff... To be very honest, I am afraid I will regret letting go of the classic flap, at the same time I really don’t like not using my bags. I used to love collecting, and had quite an extensive collection, but one day I just felt it’s such a waste to have these beautiful bags sit on shelves, and it’s a pain having to upkeep them since I live in a humid city.
I totally understand! Good luck deciding! :hugs:

• Love
Reactions: 880
That is such a difficult decision. Must you sell the bag in order to get the bracelet? My opinion is, you can get a custom made bracelet for less than a Cartier. I would keep the bag and get a bracelet you love that is not Cartier. The gold is worth only about $200.

I agree with you on this, but I want to caution that the gold in a Love bracelet is worth way more than $200. The internet says that the bracelet weighs somewhere around 30-35 grams and the current price of 18k gold is around $43. So that's around $1,300 of gold.

I also know this because I buy Indian jewelry that's sold by the gram and the standard price for a bangle is never under $1K.

Still, you're right that going custom would be way cheaper and the value of the gold in the bracelet is much less than they're charging.

I agree with you on this, but I want to caution that the gold in a Love bracelet is worth way more than $200. The internet says that the bracelet weighs somewhere around 30-35 grams and the current price of 18k gold is around $43. So that's around $1,300 of gold.

I also know this because I buy Indian jewelry that's sold by the gram and the standard price for a bangle is never under $1K.

Still, you're right that going custom would be way cheaper and the value of the gold in the bracelet is much less than they're charging.
Indeed, our family business is custom jewelry. But we focus on diamonds. Lol

I remember when those bracelets became popular the first time and when they went out of style. Personally I think everyone wants them now because they see them all over Instagram. I’d keep your last CF and find a more unique bracelet that stands out from all the rest.
I actually had one and wore it for about 3 years before I gifted it to my younger sister 3 to 4 years ago. I think I am just missing it, instead of wanting it for the style.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Stratford