Would you...

• Sell the classic flap and get a Cartier bracelet

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • Keep the classic flap and forget about Cartier

Votes: 88 69.3%

• Total voters

bkee

Dec 28, 2020
Having stayed at home social distancing for about a year now, it makes me rethink whether if I need all my luxury handbags. Or should I let go of a few more (I’ve sold quite a few Chanels for the past few months), since I don’t use any of them really. I use my classic woc the most, which really isn’t often. When I do need to go out, I mostly use my lululemon bag because I can just spray with disinfectant without giving it any thoughts.

So here comes my question, should I let go of my classic flap to get a cartier love bracelet or JUC? I was thinking since I almost never get to use my classic flap, why not sell that and get a bracelet which I can wear all the time especially at home.

I have a baby turning one in less than a month, and we plan to have a second baby. I know they won’t stay babies forever, and I will eventually get to use my classic flap then. But now, and at least in the near future, I don’t see myself having a chance to wear the bag. This is the only classic flap left in my collection, I sold the rest of them.

I am not looking into spending more money, that’s why I won’t consider having both. Especially with what’s happening with the world right now, it just doesn’t feel right to spend more than I already have. I do own enough fine jewelries and different sizes luxury handbags for one person.(I am striving for minimalism, at least I feel I am lol)

Any suggestions would be great, may it be talking me out of selling my last and only classic flap, or encouraging me to sell it. P.S. I love both the classic flap and cartier bracelet equally. Haha

I think making large decisions like selling is not a good idea right now. The pandemic + the age of your kids are all huge variables that are going to change in the near future.

Plus, idk about you, but I hardly wear jewelry on my hands at home. I wear my wedding set because it's easy to take on/off, but the idea of wearing a bangle when I'm typing/washing dishes/showering just sounds irritating.

I'd get the bracelet. Like you, I realized during the pandemic I could wear a nice piece of jewelry 24/7 and yet I didn't use a luxury bag once in almost a year. It was just an eye opening realization about handbags and their usefulness in my life. A bag, while really nice, doesn't have the same cost per wear. I wear my bracelet 24/7 and don't mind a lot of wear on it. If you're planning to take off the bracelet or worry about marks/wear then might as well stay with a bag. The bracelet would be a piece to wear all the time and enjoy.

There where 2 things on my wishlist I always wanted; a Cartier love bracelet and a black classic flap. Since I could really shop the past year, I did a lot of saving and saved enough to buy myself a Cartier love bracelet. I’m so happy with it and saving up now for the small love as well. At the same time, I realized the same as you; to much bags and don’t even use them all. So I sold my coco handle and my Deauville, and with those funds I had enough to buy a medium cf. So two of my dreams came true in a short period of time.

my advice; get what you want the most now. If you feel you will get more “use” out of the Cartier, get that and sell your cf (or maybe sell other bags you don’t use as much?).

I’m in the same situation. I feel that my bags aren’t getting that much love and even when I go into the office I opt not to wear them as I worry about all the hand sanitizers.
As for the Cartier piece getting scratched, there’s a TPF member who wears a wrist band to protect it while at home. I thought that was a good idea when doing house chores.

the work place is changing. Lots of organizations aren’t going back to the office - working from home is here and staying. Granted some orgs are offering a hybrid option. Could you perhaps sell something else besides the CF and see if you can use that money for the bracelet?
This will also give you time to decide if you are 100% sure about selling your CF.

Looking at the price increases throughout the years, the cost of a Chanel CF has tripled in price since I bought my first CF in 1997 (as a graduation gift to myself). The price increases haven’t been that outrageous with my Cartier pieces. As much as I love my Cartier Love and JUC bracelets, I’m annoyed by the scratches on them despite the wrist bands that I wear while at home. I didn’t wear them at all when my kids were little, but I did wear my Chanel CFs to important work functions, social events, date nights, and trips. My advice is to keep whichever piece you will get the most use out of now.

I have a few classic flaps, then went on to buy my Cartier Love. The bracelet is by far my most favourite item I’ve ever had! I wish I had bought it sooner.

The bracelet stays on me everyday so I get to admire it 24/7, unlike a bag.

The bag feels like a “been there, done that” thing and you sound like you are not getting enjoyment out of them anymore.

If you don’t have a luxury jewellery piece, I highly recommend! These days my focus has changed from bags to collecting jewellery.