luxury bags you don't see much of

guccigirl82

Jun 6, 2015
I notice that luxury bags like dolce gabbana, Versace, even valentino you don't see on a regular basis..I have 3 dolce and 2 valentino and I loved them but not nearly as much as other brands I own... and def with super rich people or celebrities you see those bags, but for the middle class or upper rich you will see tons of louie, Gucci, chanel, even prada and fendi way more than the others I listed... I guess if people want to spend lots of money on a bag, they rather it be designers that people easily love.. my gf owns a consignment store and she says on the norm, Gucci, Louis, chanel will see quickly but a Versace or dolce will sit there forever. what's everything think?

It's true that when you see a nearly € 3000 Versace or D&G bag, you immediately think that for the same or lower price, you can get a more iconic brand like Gucci or Louis Vuitton, an Evelyne Hermès bag, or a lovely preloved Chanel purse.
I think that counts.
I agree. And I think we are all influenced by what we see and what our peers do. I know that sometimes I didn't like a bag til I saw it multiple times and it "grew" on me. So if I don't get to see a bag styled different ways, etc. I may not have the chance to grow fond of it.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the bags D&G and Versace are putting out right now. They tend to be heavily embellished / have lots of hardware which I'm not that into.

But, honestly I don't spend a lot of time looking at those brands because for me, one huge factor is resale. If I buy a Chanel, I can resell it fairly easily and get most or all of my money back. If I buy one of the less widely coveted brands like D&G or Versace, no matter how beautiful the bag is or how pristine I keep it, I will lose my shirt on resale.

Reactions: reginaPhalange
I think with the resale mentality, people go with brand they feel safer the most. Plus, sometimes, the pieces that's got bought in the first place are only the piece that is "in" for the moment and when these pieces go to consignment, they won't sell. It's just further into the perception that they don't hold value. And that affects on the more versatile design of the brand that's less eye catching.

Reactions: Louliu71
I like Giorgio Armani, I have 3. I have never seen anyone with an Armani bag in my life. Partly I guess because you can't get it at a Saks or Neiman's, etc.

And keep changing the whole total models every season/Year also isn't a good idea. That makes it easy to detect how old the bag is. Unless it's a highly sought after, I don't think it'll benefit the owners who want to sell their bags.

And keep changing the whole total models every season/Year also isn't a good idea. That makes it easy to detect how old the bag is. Unless it's a highly sought after, I don't think it'll benefit the owners who want to sell their bags.
Yes, this!!! For example, I love Gucci & Dior but they change a majority of their bags pretty often making them look dated. It's frustrating.

Personally, I'm not crazy about the bags D&G and Versace are putting out right now. They tend to be heavily embellished / have lots of hardware which I'm not that into.
Yes! The current aesthetics of D&G, Versace, and Valentino are borderline gaudy. An average non-celebrity woman like me cannot pull off those showy looks.

We have all three stores where I live, and the D&G window display is the most garish to me---a lot of bright florals, flashy mirrors, ostentatious marble, etc. No other store looks anything like it.

Yes! The current aesthetics of D&G, Versace, and Valentino are borderline gaudy. An average non-celebrity woman like me cannot pull off those showy looks.

We have all three stores where I live, and the D&G window display is the most garish to me---a lot of bright florals, flashy mirrors, ostentatious marble, etc. No other store looks anything like it.
+10,000!!! I see / go into the D&G stores and think "who is buying this?"

Not all but the majority is art / fashion expression / statement pieces vs. wearable. Even if I wanted to wear a pair of 5", stacked heel, flower and bead encrusted, gold mirrored Mary Janes, I can't go to a client meeting / grocery shopping / coffee with my girlfriends in them. I dress well daily and love fashion. But that's a faaaar distance from living in a Vogue ad or music video. :-s

Again, not all of the pieces are like this. In particular, the handbags are some of the best prices. But when the brand gives an overall vibe of too much, people don't work to find the gold among the dross.

Valentino - I saw a lady carry the rock stud tote once. And another carrying the rockstud flap bag crossbody. But not often anymore. Too bad because their bags are gorgeous. Way more prettier than a boring LV monogram.

Bottega Veneta - I rarely see these bags anymore.

Reactions: vink
I've seen one Bottega Veneta in the wild very recently and prior to that zilch for a number of years, the re sale market in the U.K. is extremely low for this brand and guess may be part of the reason. Which is a bonus for me as I now have a soft spot for them, but they just don't surface that often and I certainly won't pay full price as I do change my collection frequently

I don't think I've ever seen Fendi or D&G other than a handful of signature/vintage bags of the latter

I work in Canary Wharf, London (financial district) so expect bags to be more formal looking and not garish or too bling bling so naturally that will rule out some designers/styles. Mainly classic pieces and none that are ' 'trendy'

I know this thread is about brands we don't see much of , but the ones I do see lots of are

Mainly Mulberry and LV, then Hermes, Chanel, Goyard, Chloe and occasionally Loewe or Dior, so guess it's safe to say I don't see any of the other premier brands

Agree with Vink about 'safe' option especially for re sale options, certainly this is a factor for me. I am extremely boring/conservative when it comes to colours, sticking to core colours and have no seasonal colours in my collection other than SLG's

Last edited:
Dolce and Val are both fashion houses, their strength is their RTW but Dolce have some stunning , interesting and precious, one-off type bags and V are very good too I'm sure.

Yes, this!!! For example, I love Gucci & Dior but they change a majority of their bags pretty often making them look dated. It's frustrating.

Gucci change models so often (and there are so many all at once) no one can keep up and of course the same designs keep returning because Gucci has such a strong and diverse archive. In a way in counteracts the issue except for very popular styles.

Alessandro Michele puts many individual looks on the catwalk and carries-over bag designs and shoes even on the catwalk because the whole ethos is about continuity, loving and using something 'forever', piece by piece. I'm all for that.

In a way LV had the problem the other way in that no one was buying new anymore which is why so many new designs and colours/leathers have been introduced relatively recently. Hermes also 'rests' its leathers and colours which brings its own more subtle 'dated' look so that customers are compelled to buy new. Not something we should fall for IMO. A good bag is always a good bag.

Dolce and Val are both fashion houses, their strength is their RTW but Dolce have some stunning , interesting and precious, one-off type bags and V are very good too I'm sure.

Gucci change models so often (and there are so many all at once) no one can keep up and of course the same designs keep returning because Gucci has such a strong and diverse archive. In a way in counteracts the issue except for very popular styles.

Alessandro Michele puts many individual looks on the catwalk and carries-over bag designs and shoes even on the catwalk because the whole ethos is about continuity, loving and using something 'forever', piece by piece. I'm all for that.

In a way LV had the problem the other way in that no one was buying new anymore which is why so many new designs and colours/leathers have been introduced relatively recently. Hermes also 'rests' its leathers and colours which brings its own more subtle 'dated' look so that customers are compelled to buy new. Not something we should fall for IMO. A good bag is always a good bag.

Yes I agree some old Gucci designs return, and sometimes I like them better than the new looks. I don't go by what look is new I go by what look I like though because a good bag is a good bag regardless. and yes that was my issue with lv for awhile, all their bags look alike, until they started adding different colors, styles, etc. I like fendi too in that you can get good vintage styles as well as new looks