Lump after rabies vaccination?

ChiChi143

O.G.
Jun 13, 2007
I am very concerned right now. My chihuahua Lola got her 1 year rabies booster shot on August 6th. Yesterday I noticed a lump on her right side, sort of near the area where she got the vaccination. This lump was never there before and the doctor definitely would have felt it when he gave her the shot. Lola is thin and when she stands, you can actually see the lump sticking out. I've felt it and it's hard and doesn't move and doesn't seem to be hurting her. I read that dogs can get hard lumps at the injection site after receiving a shot. This is the first time Lola has gotten a rabies shot since I had her, so I wouldn't know if this is just how she reacts to it. I am calling the vet later and I will be bringing her in to get it looked at, but I'm just very worried right now and can't get it off my mind. Has anyone had this happen to their dog after a vaccination? And sorry for rambling.

I think it is nothing you have to worry about. :hugs: It really is a pretty common thing that can happen. It takes quite a while to go away but it does. :yes:

My Deacon had a lump in the rib area after an injection and it took about two months to go away. The lump was clearly noticeable, even on pictures I took of him.

I'm sure Lola will look as good as new in a couple of weeks. ;) :smile:

My cat got a lump from a Rabies injection. It took more than a month for it to go away but it did go away and there were no problems. I would let your vet know about it and keep a close eye on it. If it is not gone in another couple of weeks I would take her in to be checked out. Try not to worry, it is fairly common.

^ Thanks Lakritze and Cindi. It was just a shock seeing a lump like that and I of course immediately think the worst. I'm massaging it on an off because I read that it can get the fluids moving around. Not sure if it's really helping though. Between ChiChi swelling up and getting sick and now Lola with a lump, the rabies vaccinations are such a pain to deal with!

yes i have read this happening to other Maltese. it is suppose to go away with time. I dont think it is uncommon. But it is still good to bring Lola to the vet, just to make sure. I know you are worried....I would too..they are our heart doggies!! ((HUGS))

was Lola given the rabies booster along w/ some other vaccination?

^ She got her rabies booster and blood was drawn for a heartworm test (but that was in the leg). I wish I could find out if this happened when she got her first rabies as a puppy before I even got her, but I have no way of finding out.

^^ yea..its OK, I know you are concerned for her well being..theres no way you could have known how she would react to Rabies. Rabies is a tough vaccine..dont worry, I read about lumps on many malts before...its common. you are a good mommy!!

let us know what the vet says.

Went to the vet and he said it's a reaction to the rabies shot. Since it doesn't seem to be bothering her, he said to just watch it and it may take up to 2 months to completely disappear. Now I feel better since my little girl is fine.

^ She sure will! LOL My Chihuahua's are so sensitive and it makes me a nervous wreck. ChiChi gets a swollen face and gets sick with his shots and now I have Lola that gets a lump! :nuts:

It was the rabies shot. That seems to be the only shot that makes him react like that. I've been to 3 different vets that use different manufacturers and finally the one I'm going to now he's ok with. He gets a little sluggish for a few days, but no swollen face this time around. I also make them give ChiChi a shot of benadryl first.

^^ ugh..i know..Rabies is tough. I had to do some leg work to find a good vet that will space out the Rabies shot and other vaccines....it takes alot out of our babies. I remember Mia had diarrhea the first time after Rabies and was very drowsy..sigh...every little thing w/ our babies makes us worry!! lol!!

you are a great mommy!!

Glad to hear she is fine. Did the vet give you any home remedies to make it disappear more quickly? I was wondering if there is anything I could do at home next time this happens. Give Lola a kiss from me. :smooch:

^ The vet told me to continue massaging the area as long as it doesn't hurt her. Other than that I guess it just takes time. I'll give Lola a kiss for you :flowers:

miss alice - I was able to space out the vaccines pretty well this way they get the rabies alone. I can't believe how much it takes out of the little ones.