Lower Jaw Surgery w/ Orthodontic treatment for Lower Jaw too forward (Prognathia)

Sep 30, 2007
Hi all,
I ‘ve been trying research on the tpf regarding low jaw surgery w/ orthodontic treatment to correct jaw abnormalities, but I was unable to obtain info thru here. I thought I would share my experiences and process and hope that would help someone else you are or will be in the process of this treatment.

My dental problems:
· Lower jaws is too far forward (prognathia) in which my chin is too protruding.
· Upper and lower teeth do not fit together. My lower teeth are outward and overlap with the upper teeth.
· Inner teeth wear out from chewing from not having a good bite.
· The issues listed above cause tremendous pain by my ear and regular headache, jaw locked , popping noise, pain on the jaw by the ears, and swollen by cheekbone. There are times that I could not chew foods for 3 or 4 days.
I really wish that my dentist advise me to have this correct when I was younger. In my early 20’s there were no issue, as I got closer to 30’s pain started to occur. I just turned 32 yrs old and started this process.
Treatment Phrase:
1. Diagnostic and Treatment Plan
2. Preparation for Surgery ( Orthodontic Prep)
3. Surgery & Recovery
4. Postsurgical Treatment (Complete Orthodontic)
I will go start the treatment at end of July 2010. I will go over the detail of Phrase # 1 and 2 and post pics shortly.

Good luck on your surgery!

One of my friends had a "short chin" - her lower jaw was set too far back so the opposite of your problem. She ended up getting reconstructive surgery as well when she was in her twenties. My friend ended up feeling better and happier not just with not having jaw pains anymore but the shape of her jawline and face has changed somewhat for the positive.

I'm currently going through a similar situation as you but I have a slight overbite and gummy smile. My upper jaw will be shortened and moved back, lower jaw will be moved forward, and I might have a chin augmentation since I currently have a receding lower jaw.

This is the second time I'm wearing braces, I had braces in high school. But, when I had it during that time I wasn't happy with the results and my previous orthodontist never mentioned to me about this procedure. So, this time I did tons of research and I'm going to get it right...

I was wondering who is your orthodontist and oral surgeon if you don't mind sharing? I'm also in the Seattle area...

My dd has a prominent lower jaw (which is genetic) and has an underbite (which has not occurred with any other family members). Right now she is only 6, but I've already had her in for an orthodontic consult. Right now they believe they will be able to correct it with orthodontia and that no surgery will be necessary. She also has no pain, but that might be a function of age. I will be watching this thread for updates; good luck!

I'm currently going through a similar situation as you but I have a slight overbite and gummy smile. My upper jaw will be shortened and moved back, lower jaw will be moved forward, and I might have a chin augmentation since I currently have a receding lower jaw.

This is the second time I'm wearing braces, I had braces in high school. But, when I had it during that time I wasn't happy with the results and my previous orthodontist never mentioned to me about this procedure. So, this time I did tons of research and I'm going to get it right...

I was wondering who is your orthodontist and oral surgeon if you don't mind sharing? I'm also in the Seattle area...

My orthodontist is Dr. Cohanim at Smileworks located on Broadway across from Swedish Hospital. I went to 3 different consult w/ all 3 different orthodotists. Although he is not the cheapest but I am confortable w/ him and very confidence w/ his works.

Dr. Cohamin referred me to oral surgeon Gary R. Feldman located on Ornold Medical Pavillion on Madison St. I have gone to an oral consult w/ Dr. Dale Bloomquist back in 2006 who share the same office as Dr. Feldman.

Who is your orthodontist and oral surgeon? When is your surgeon time?

My orthodontist is Dr. Vaughn at Leone & Vaughn, they have great reviews and were featured in several publications. They charge more than most places but I'm very confident in their work and their attention to detail.

I was referred to Dr. Trimble in Bellevue by my orthodontist and another ortho that I consulted with before going to L&V.

I think my surgery will be in the Fall of 2011...

My orthodontist is Dr. Vaughn at Leone & Vaughn, they have great reviews and were featured in several publications. They charge more than most places but I'm very confident in their work and their attention to detail.

I was referred to Dr. Trimble in Bellevue by my orthodontist and another ortho that I consulted with before going to L&V.

I think my surgery will be in the Fall of 2011...

May I asked how much is your ortho?

My surgery will be in Fall of 2011 as well. I could not do on August because I have golf tournament and I cannot do beginning of Sept because of girl trip to Vegas. Probably will be end of Sept or beginning of Oct. Keep in touch.

How much weight have you lost since you have braces on?

I'm paying around 8k for my braces, my dental insurance only covers a small portion of that. I also have to get extractions later which isn't included in that cost...

Now, my double jaw surgery with genioplasty is estimated to be about 20k just for the surgery not including hospital fees. My insurance company pre-approved my surgery so they should cover a lil more than half of it...

How much will you be paying?

I had the opposite issue - chin too far back. I had surgery when I was 14. It was necessary because of TMJ and my jaw locking. It helped so much, not only my profile, but those medical issues. Good luck. It's been over 20 years, and I still vividly remember those first few days. It was painful.

I’ve visited 3 different orthodontists in the past 3-4 yrs consultation. The first visit was from Dr. Ottaga by University Village, it was so long ago so I did not remember anything. I went to him during the time when I could not open my jaw. During this time I also went to oral surgeon consultation w/ Dr. Dale Bloomquist.

The 2nd orthodontist consult that I went w/ Dr. Victoria Wan w/ Bright Now. She is a friend so I decided not to go w/ her to avoid any unexpected difficult situation may arise if things does not go well. Dr. Wan recently license w/in the lat 3-4 yrs.. Her office does not have cool x-ray.

The 3rd consultation that I had w/ Dr. Cohamin. His office is Smile works located on Broadway across Swedish Hospital. Dr. Cohamin is in late 40’s or 50’s. He is experience orthodontist, clean, and no complain file that I found w/ the Dept of Health and I feel very comfortable w/ him. Below you will see my e-xay and profile pics back in July 2010.

HongShearer.jpg

I'm paying around 8k for my braces, my dental insurance only covers a small portion of that. I also have to get extractions later which isn't included in that cost...

Now, my double jaw surgery with genioplasty is estimated to be about 20k just for the surgery not including hospital fees. My insurance company pre-approved my surgery so they should cover a lil more than half of it...

How much will you be paying?

$6295 for orthodontist
$16,000 for surgery (out of pocket)

Hi Hundreds,

I tried to private mesage you but you don't allow private mesage.

I thought I would check to see if my tpf fella could help me out. Your post said that your insurance cover for you surgery, may I ask what insurance do you have?

After see your post, I am checking w/ my insurance “Group Health” to have them cover for the jaw surgery health benefit vice president requested if I could have my attending physician write up a brief history of my condition and why they are proposing doing the surgery. Also have them attach the procedure codes and the proposed dollar amounts to be charged for each procedure and return it to her for processing. She will then contact the medical and the dental carriers and ask them to provide an estimate of what they will pay towards the expenses

I called the surgeon office and found out that they will not even brother to go thru insurance and only wanted patient to pay out of pocket. They don’t want to deal w/ insurance. Unbelievable! Now make me think that they did not even contact my insurance at the first place at all. Well, they are rather rude and unwilling to be helpful. I got them to have give me procedure code.

I went to my new attending physician and do not want to write that up. She reffered me to the Group Health TMJ surgeon. Will take about 14 days to see if the referral get accepted. If it’s denial, then I will go back to her for appeal.

I had the opposite issue - chin too far back. I had surgery when I was 14. It was necessary because of TMJ and my jaw locking. It helped so much, not only my profile, but those medical issues. Good luck. It's been over 20 years, and I still vividly remember those first few days. It was painful.

I am glad to hear a success story and that you are well and have better quality of life. May I ask if your insurance cover for the procedure?

bagladyseattle said:
I am glad to hear a success story and that you are well and have better quality of life. May I ask if your insurance cover for the procedure?

Sorry that I never saw this question. My surgery was covered by insurance in part. My jaw locked all of the time and I had to be put on muscle relaxers from time to time.

Had a lot of problems with my teeth at young age. And other medical issues.

I started with everything when I was 13 yrs old. Had the first surgery when I was 16. My upper jaw was kind of growing too fast and my lower jaw too slow. So I could almost put 2 finger between them. I had almost no chin and when I was smiling you saw a lot of gum (1CM).

Surgery took a couple of hours and I ended up for 2 days on the intensive care (noting weird, it’s standard). What have they done? My upper jaw has been shortened at the end and they removed a lot of gum. Stitched it up and started on my lower jaw. My lower jaw has been cut into 2 parts, tilted and moved forward so I got more chin. The worst thing about everything was the liquid food. Have been dinking for almost 4 weeks chocolat slimfast shakes… When they told me I could start with normal food I made pizza and have put is in the blender..

One thing I found out during that period is that I never want to be ‘fat’. I just doesn’t suit me ;)

The first picture was taken 5 days after surgery. It was a sad period. My grandma died very young and we had to arrange the funeral… The last picture was 3.5 week after the surgery.

Also have before pictures. But don’t know where I left them…

Attachments

• 531646_4205403889953_1655329307_n.jpg
    531646_4205403889953_1655329307_n.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 2,876