Lowballing

crazzee_shopper

Now a Mrs.
Jan 13, 2010
Seriously!! :mad:

I understand people are out to find a bargain, but at what point do you think REASONABLE offers mean a total lowball.

I am currently selling an item for $800. Retail was $4K. I just got a request to sell for $150. Are you kidding me??!!

I am completely offended.

The worst I got which I posted once before was $30 for a $2000+ bag. I had it set to auto decline so I didn't have to worry but i'm sure I would have made some comment when rejecting if i'd seen it.

I like to think that sometimes people offer just to see if they can score "deal of the century"...which more often than that, just enrages the seller. I sell from my closet on occasion as well and have had a little bit of experience dealing with these buyers...I think the best policy is to just set the auto-decline feature so you don't get angry over nothing. When I offer, I like to see what the seller has accepted in the past and then offer something similar to the discount he/she was able to accept. It sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.

OP, don't get too mad. It's not worth it. From another angle, this is so absurd it's a little funny. I have heard stories of people offering 50 dollars for Birkins.

Thanks all. It's not through ebay so I can't set any sort of auto decline.

In actuality, I completely forgot I had even listed the item. So I was surprised to see that I received a message from the website.

I've had a recent bad selling experience, so I'm even hesitant to keep my listing up. This doesn't help at all.

The best course of action is for me to ignore that message. I think if I even tried replying, it would be extremely rude.

Thanks all. It's not through ebay so I can't set any sort of auto decline.

In actuality, I completely forgot I had even listed the item. So I was surprised to see that I received a message from the website.

I've had a recent bad selling experience, so I'm even hesitant to keep my listing up. This doesn't help at all.

The best course of action is for me to ignore that message. I think if I even tried replying, it would be extremely rude.

You gotta [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]kill 'em with [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]kindness! :biggrin: Believe me, the first few times I got a low ball offer, I was pi$$ed, but then I figured they wanted to piss me off...so I wrote bac[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]k really nice, than[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]king them for viewing my item and politely declined their offer.[/FONT] Also, these offers came through on things I had no BIN on, so they were as[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]king me through email through ebay's system. I really just laugh them off now.[/FONT]

I get that all of the time. I know what you mean. It is best to completely ignore those people, and in some cases, I would just block them. In the past, I've had issues with people that offer really low ball (RIDICULOUS) offers, and then they harass you...

Lol, I wouldn't let it get you so frustrated. Some people just don't understand what high end designer items are really worth, so I'm sure the aren't meaning to be insulting; they just aren't knowledgeable enough to know that their offer isn't even worth considering. I wouldn't even respond, move on, and sell your item to a deserving buyer that is willing to pay for your lovely goods!! :biggrin:

i have emailed those low ballers back a few times and said "are you actually serious" in response to a few $1500-$2000 offers for an hermes jpg shoulder birkin i had listed for $6000, which was already $4000 below retail of $10,000...now that hacked me off....a $2000 offer, seriously....they never replied to my reply:smile: and i felt way better afterward!

Last edited:
We have a standard response we use at work sometimes, as I work at a TV station and it seems that my department (sports) get ALL kinds of asylum candidates commenting on everything from broadcast quality to what our on air people are wearing....

Not very professional, but we use it in the extreme cases where the caller/mailer/whatever is extremely rude... it goes:

"We always aim to reply to constructive critizism within a timely manner. Unfortulately, your correspondence does not fall into such category"

Mabye that is a response that would be warranted in almost offensively low offer-case,s like

"I always ensure to respond to reasonable offers in a timely manner. Unfortunately, your offer does not fall into such category."

Doesn't get rid of the lowball offers, but it is a little *kickback* in their direction, without saying "are you kidding me?!" in so many words!

I set auto declined. But some of them has the nerves to e-mail (after they made the offers 3 times and declined) me to asked if I can accept their offer!
When I feel of being nice, I will politely answer. But most of the time I just ignored them and block his/her.