Loving A HAC....

psaseattle

PNW Hermes-aholic
O.G.
Apr 4, 2008
There was some recent chatting on the Ebay thread about the virtues of a HAC 32 and why some of us have found that it suits us better than a 35 Birkin so I thought to start a new thread on why the HAC 32 is better for me than a 35 Birkin. I know there is a good thread somewhere on HACs that is older which is also very helpful - maybe someone can find it and re-post it here in this thread (I can't seem to link it).

I only recently discovered the HAC 32 for myself earlier this year when I got a VN GHW HAC 32. I got it without ever trying one in hand but I was hopeful it would solve my issues with my 35 birkins....after investing a lot of money in a handful of 35 Birkins, I found over time that they felt a smidge too big overall for me personally - especially width-wise. I was forever banging their corners into doorways and people and I felt the bag wore me rather than me wearing the bag. Despite that, I still loved the look of the Birkin and the useful tote characteristics.

Enter the HAC 32. The overall look is still Birkin-esque. In fact, most people think my HAC 32 is a 35 Birkin since I wear mine bat-winged and casual. I am also 5'2" so proportionally the HAC on me probably looks like a 35 does on someone taller or bigger. Yes the handles are shorter than the Birkin's but to be honest - for me personally - this is not an issue at all. I can still get them over my wrists and forearms all the way to the crook of my arm almost. Regardless, I only hand carried or wore my 35s on my forearm anyway (not shoved to the crook of my arm) and that is how I wear my HAC. The HAC's silhouette is slightly taller than the 35 and of course, slightly less long in the base...all this adds up to a more flattering proportion on me and a slightly more refined look IMO. Just "neater", even wide open and bat-winged. That said, the biggest difference for me is the slightly less deep width of the bag - all of a sudden it feels "right" to me as a tote. Not too wide. No more banging around or swinging around and hitting things I didn't mean to hit :smile:

Carrying capacity is still good and I don't feel I've compromised into a much smaller bag compared to the 35 Birkin since I carry my HAC 32 open. FYI - I have a BBK 32 which, because of the shape of that bag and the fact that you must carry a Kelly closed most of the time, carries less than the HAC 32.

So - those are my reasons for loving the HAC 32. I am slowly converting my collection away from 35s and into more HAC 32s. I'm sure other more experienced TPF'rs will have lots more to add:winkiss:

psaseattle, thanks for starting this thread. I am very curious about this bag and have never had the opportunity to try it in the boutique. Is it any lighter in weight than the 35 Birkin?

psaseattle, thanks for starting this thread. I am very curious about this bag and have never had the opportunity to try it in the boutique. Is it any lighter in weight than the 35 Birkin?

I think this really depends on the leather you are talking about......I have not had a direct apples to apples comparison personally in the 35 Birkins I have/had vs the HAC 32 I own (or have on the way). Maybe others can chime in who have this experience....

This is a direct cut and paste from your query in the other thread:biggrin:

fashionistaO, psaseattle and margieb - You all seem to prefer the 32 HAC to the 35 Birkin. What do you find the greatest difference/advantage to the HAC over the Birkin? Sorry, everyone, if this is OT for this thread, but there certainly is a cheerleading squad here over this bag, and I'm curious why the HAC is such a favorite.

^^I'm curious, too! :popcorn:

New thread in main section:biggrin:

Hello silkstarh and mezzopiano

I prefer the 32HAC because of the N/S silhouette as opposed the E/W silhouette.
This CdC skin I feel is lighter and can hold heaps without worry of the weight factor; also prefer to hand carry as opposed to arm carry. Since I do not have to carry files or paperwork, the HAC is sufficient, but if you pull out the sides this HAC can carry many files. HTH

RE: pls see post #664 http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-clubhouse/all-hail-the-hac-177642-45.html

This is my 32/HAC/CDC/Cocoan in the forefront; the spec of the birkin in the background is 40B/Fjord/PHW and that beauty belongs to our fellow tpfer, hanyeu. Picture was taken in TW's H/Formosa Regency(establishment belongs to another one of our tpfer)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, psaseattle and fashionistaO !!
That all makes sense to me :yes: :yes:

And your HACs are FABULOUS...:love:

I aimed a 35 Birkin, but now I want to think which would be better for me, a 32 HAC or a 35 Birkin.:happydance:
I'm going to study the old thread you ladies mentioned!
:flowers:

Another fan of the 32 HAC. I find this to be the perfect size and look for me, shorter handles notwithstanding. The overall dimension works for my 165cm and size 4/6 frame. I do find the Birkin 30cm a tad small for work and the Birkin 35cm too cumbersome. Additionally, the slightly NS silhouette lends an elegant and polished look to the HAC. In short, it is more "dressy" and less casual/tote like. So, it is suitable for a more dressed up environment. As to the weight, it is certainly lighter than a Birkin 35cm.

For most, I guess the main concern would be the shorter handles, which makes it harder to carry on the arm/crook of arm especially during the colder months when thick clothing are worn.

It is always good to bring the 35 Birkin vs 32 HAC up for discussion. I think people continually have something to contribute with this less seen bag. Thank you!

It is always good to bring the 35 Birkin vs 32 HAC up for discussion. I think people continually have something to contribute with this less seen bag. Thank you!

Speaking of "less seen" - I was amazed when I took my VN HAC 32 to an H store event (Seattle) how none - and I mean NONE - of the SAs there had any real idea what it was. I even overheard one of them commenting on it to some customers saying it must be a special order size....I corrected them but was frankly in disbelief that there was a bit of a blank stare at me when I told them it was a HAC 32. :shocked:

Speaking of "less seen" - I was amazed when I took my VN HAC 32 to an H store event (Seattle) how none - and I mean NONE - of the SAs there had any real idea what it was. I even overheard one of them commenting on it to some customers saying it must be a special order size....I corrected them but was frankly in disbelief that there was a bit of a blank stare at me when I told them it was a HAC 32. :shocked:

Doesn't surprise me. The average age is about 12 so how could they know? You're lucky one of them didn't want to examine the bag to see if it was real. I had that happen once with a Bolide.

The similar happened to us when we where in Taiwan and in Shanghai .. we were asked by the SA's if our 40/HAC/Raisin and 32/HAC/Cocoan we indeed special orders .. and also stateside @ Madison H. Both were purchased @ WS/H brought in for us:P .. also in disbelief^

pls see post #18 http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-tpf-meetings/taipei-tpf-meet-jan-30-31-a-550059-2.html