Love the outside, not the inside: Kate Spade bag

sea_phoenix

Jul 24, 2008
I think this Kate Spade bag on the Kate Spade website is perfect for me, but then I read about the lipstick-print lining and that gave me pause. So I hunted around and saw a picture of the inside of a similar bag on the Nordstrom website and... yeah, I don't like it. Some people probably do, but it's just not me. How sad!

Have you ever seen a bag that you loved the outside but can't bring yourself to buy because you don't like the inside? On the flip side of that, I have a very plain black nylon Prada which I think is especially awesome because of the bright pink lining. It just makes me happy to open it. :smile:

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 381
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 404
To be honest, I never liked those Marc By Marc Jacobs bags/accessories where it says MARC JACOBS all over the lining in big, black bold words. I think it's too much. I prefer it simple with either a plain lining or a simple, pretty pattern. But looking at that Kate Spade, yuck. I see they're trying to make it look feminine, but it looks awful.

Kind of reminds me of someone smearing their lipstick on the lining, and then scribbled all over the lining with a ballpoint pen. :wtf:

Haha, I LOVE the MbMJ black and white lining. So graphic and bold.

However, I do not like the KS lining at all. I have one of her wallets which I love and it has a gorgeous blue logo lining. It looks amazing with the green leather of the wallet.
For me, if I'm buying something expensive, I want to like all of it. Everytime you open the bag you'll see the lining so it might as well be something you like.

B. Makowsky linings -- all in that same leopard print fabric -- started to look cheap to me. They were cute when they started but now, not so much.

And I always think twice when I see just black inside, especially if it is a simple black hole that you can't even see where the pockets are.

I sorta like the MBMJ initial lining but it does have a lot of immediate impact, good or bad.

I actually quite like the lining of this bag (reminds me of my '80s childhood, I think!) but, yes, it's happened a lot.

I'm not sure why the lining should matter so much, but somehow it does.

I tend to like cotton twill, or suede, linings for big bags and suede, or matt leather, linings for small ones. :smile:

This has happened to me alot too. I love it when my bag has a solid bright lining. It helps me find stuff inside. I really do not like linings that are all black or too busy like this one. The black lining makes the inside of the bag dark so it is difficult to find things, and then the printed linings like this one make it look like you have alot more stuff than you do inside. Either way they make it hard to find things in your bag.

Sorry, I wouldnt buy the KS bag because of the lining! My favorite lining is from my leather betsey johnson bag; its white and black checkerboard with pink pockets. Its just so cute it makes me smile and it makes me happy when I open the bag. I also really like the Sak Siverlake's lining:

lining.jpg

Lining does make a difference, plain linings dont bother me but they dont add the same touch that a cute lining does. Its just a little detail that can change your mood. An ugly lining might make you not want to open your purse.

I don't like that lipstick print lining either, but I love the outside colour of the bag and the shape. Anyone know if Kate Spade is sold in Canada, I've never been able to find them?

I think this Kate Spade bag on the Kate Spade website is perfect for me, but then I read about the lipstick-print lining and that gave me pause. So I hunted around and saw a picture of the inside of a similar bag on the Nordstrom website and... yeah, I don't like it. Some people probably do, but it's just not me. How sad!

Have you ever seen a bag that you loved the outside but can't bring yourself to buy because you don't like the inside? On the flip side of that, I have a very plain black nylon Prada which I think is especially awesome because of the bright pink lining. It just makes me happy to open it. :smile:

Yikes those lip prints are pretty bad, I don't think I could live with that!

Yes, it's happened to me before too. I bought this Junior Drake bag and was horrified to discover the lining was a repeated picture of the designer's mother, going in all different directions, all over the lining - all those eyes staring at me. Creepy! It was not returnable so I ended up giving it to my daughter.

Here is is -

jdlining-1.jpg

On the opposite side, I absolutely LOVE the lining on my Lockheart bag, the prettiest I've ever seen -

lockheartebaylining.jpg

Hayden Harnett often has pretty linings while with RM I never cared for her plain black and white design, I like the candy stripes better.

Linda

I bought this Junior Drake bag and was horrified to discover the lining was a repeated picture of the designer's mother, going in all different directions, all over the lining - all those eyes staring at me. Creepy! It was not returnable so I ended up giving it to my daughter.

Here is is -

jdlining-1.jpg

That's his mother, you say...?

Is she in bed? :shrugs:

That's his mother, you say...?

Is she in bed? :shrugs:

I'm told she was an actress and her name was Junior Drake, that looks like a publicity photo. Really odd to have someone's face starting out at you from your bag that you don't know, in fact as much as I love my mother I don't think i'd want her peeking out at me from my bag every time I reach in! :smile:

Linda

I'm told she was an actress and her name was Junior Drake, that looks like a publicity photo. Really odd to have someone's face starting out at you from your bag that you don't know, in fact as much as I love my mother I don't think i'd want her peeking out at me from my bag every time I reach in! :smile:

Linda

OMG, too funny Linda!! :nuts:

Yikes those lip prints are pretty bad, I don't think I could live with that!

Yes, it's happened to me before too. I bought this Junior Drake bag and was horrified to discover the lining was a repeated picture of the designer's mother, going in all different directions, all over the lining - all those eyes staring at me. Creepy! It was not returnable so I ended up giving it to my daughter.

Here is is -
On the opposite side, I absolutely LOVE the lining on my Lockheart bag, the prettiest I've ever seen -
Hayden Harnett often has pretty linings while with RM I never cared for her plain black and white design, I like the candy stripes better.

Linda

That IS Creepy! The mother lining, I mean. The pose looks kinda disturbing to me, too. Might be just me.

ITA with the Lockheart lining though. That is beautiful! Colorful, fun, playful. It makes me want a Lockheart bag now! :drool:

I like RM's linings, but they're usually the same. I have a MAMM in an off-white and blue striped lining. Coach on the other hand, is often boring. They usually add bright, vibrant solid color linings to their neutral bags (like the Sabrina's). If it's the other way around, then they choose a boring biege lining. I actually liked the Bonnie line since the lining's similar to RM's white/blue striped lining. But that's about it.

Linda

No, my sentiments exactly! :lol: