Home & Garden Love or hate your washer/dryer?

Hi!

If you bought them 30 or 40 years ago, you would probably still have & use them - and be in total awe about the brand.

Nowadays they won't last significantly longer than other high quality brands, yet cost (partly, a lot) more.

At the end of high school I did an internship at a household appliances type store. Getting out old Miele machines was a real struggle, they were build to last - down to the very last screw. Especially if they had to be carried out of old basements over tiny concrete stairs/steps ... Getting the newer Miele machines down there was a breeze compared to that. They don't build them like they used to, and they live off/ solely rely on the brands reputation that was built decades ago. And most people weren't getting rid of the old ones because they were defective, but because they wanted newer technology/ energy saving program(s) and "silent program" for those running the washing machine in the kitchen or bathroom of a rental flat during night hours.

Old Miele: Two persons are absolutely necessary to move machine. New Miele: One person can lift and move machine. Rely on 2nd person for stairs ...

If you can get a good deal on them, you get good machines. But don't expect any wonders. If you have to pay significantly more for them than you would on other brands machines, I wouldn't bother getting them.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Reactions: uhpharm01
Hi!

If you bought them 30 or 40 years ago, you would probably still have & use them - and be in total awe about the brand.

Nowadays they won't last significantly longer than other high quality brands, yet cost (partly, a lot) more.

At the end of high school I did an internship at a household appliances type store. Getting out old Miele machines was a real struggle, they were build to last - down to the very last screw. Especially if they had to be carried out of old basements over tiny concrete stairs/steps ... Getting the newer Miele machines down there was a breeze compared to that. They don't build them like they used to, and they live off/ solely rely on the brands reputation that was built decades ago. And most people weren't getting rid of the old ones because they were defective, but because they wanted newer technology/ energy saving program(s) and "silent program" for those running the washing machine in the kitchen or bathroom of a rental flat during night hours.

Old Miele: Two persons are absolutely necessary to move machine. New Miele: One person can lift and move machine. Rely on 2nd person for stairs ...

If you can get a good deal on them, you get good machines. But don't expect any wonders. If you have to pay significantly more for them than you would on other brands machines, I wouldn't bother getting them.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Oliver
Thanks for your help. Which brands do you recommend? Thank you

I'm actually careful with recommendations. ;) But after we got rid of that annoying Bauknecht, we bought Siemens and are very happy with the washing machine so far. Dryer is still the same AEG, which is OK. Albeit we're still not used to the time it takes for sheets getting dry ... And looking at energy costs it gets even more silly. So the next dryer will be a Siemens, maybe that is "our" brand. ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver

I'm actually careful with recommendations. ;) But after we got rid of that annoying Bauknecht, we bought Siemens and are very happy with the washing machine so far. Dryer is still the same AEG, which is OK. Albeit we're still not used to the time it takes for sheets getting dry ... And looking at energy costs it gets even more silly. So the next dryer will be a Siemens, maybe that is "our" brand. ;)

Kind regards,
Oliver
I totally understand. I’ll find something. I’m in the USA actually and I think you are in Europe.thank you.

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
I'm looking into new ones also. Was at lowes yesterday and notice the old styles are coming back. The ones with agitator. Will never get a front loader again. Heard many raves about Speed Queen.

I'm looking into new ones also. Was at lowes yesterday and notice the old styles are coming back. The ones with agitator. Will never get a front loader again. Heard many raves about Speed Queen.
Why what is wrong with a front loader? The ones with the agitators never really left but a lot of stores just didn't carry them. I'm glad that more stores will be carrying the agitators now the top loader that I have goes off balance a lot.

My Miele machines have been amazing actually. They're both about 15 years old and they're big, heavy pieces, close to top of range when we bought them. The washer has never needed to be serviced and it works so hard! They dryer works hard too but it's been serviced twice.
I wouldn't buy Miele again because in Australia service is complicated if you live in the regions and not in the city. But the machines I own have been so good and my other Miele appliances - including the dishwasher - are super reliable, so I have no complaints.

I have a Maytag Maxima set. ( now owned by Whirlpool) At my old house I also had the same brand, almost same exact set but the washer had the autodispense detergent which was great. I left that set for the new owners. It was purchased new & never had issues - dryer worked great (electric). Only had for 4 years so can’t speak to longevity.

The new set I wasn’t paying proper attention when purchasing so it doesn’t have that detergent option. I switched to tide pods so it’s a non issue now. The electric dryer works as well as the previous one. I’ve only had to rerun it when I over stuff bedding in there & it gets rolled up.

Annoying but this has happened with literally every residential dryer I’ve ever used. I should just use a timed cycle for longer but I always forget...

Front load washers are great with proper care. Most people who end up with smelly clothes or a smelly washer either leave stuff in there way too long, keep the door closed never allowing it to air out, and never run a cleaning cycle. I always leave my washer door open. Never had an issue.