Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

You seem to amassed a scarf-wardrobe that works for you quite quickly. I'm also amazed you like the CSGM so much living in what looks to be a fairly hot country. Do you use the cashmeres to stave off the blasts air con? I know some ladies that live in the Med at the apex of Summer would carry cashmeres esp. so they wouldn't freeze inside modern buildings.
this is one of the reasons i do love and wear my CSGMs, (as well as a couple of dozens of other, non-H shawls), another peculiar reason is no matter how modern and progressive this place is, it's still a muslim country and covered shoulders are always preferred to uncovered. I mean, nobody will throw stones at you, but when you sometimes get in certain places/circumstances, it's always better to show respect and get better/softer welcome ;)
i am often driving in my spaghetti top, but if i need to quickly pop into the bank, or post office, my shawl is with me ready for a quick throw on :biggrin:

Do other people with (what they consider) sizeable collections feel a lot less panicky over their later new choices?

I used to hate it so much if I wish-listed a design for the coming season and then not find an example in a good cw. I remember a state of complete bewilderment that no new cw of La Grand Vie du Nord reissue worked for me, no cw of the original Mythique Phoenix. Now I just think, ho hum, back to the vintage/HG list or wait till next season. Now, I can make myself feel better in a minute by looking at the scarves I have already (shopping in my own closet) but back 8 years, I felt like something would be missing forever like the last piece of a precious jigsaw.

Do you remember we had a conversation once upon a time about whether we were scarf collectors or wearers. Collectors must collect and wearers must wear. I suppose on balance, I'm only a lightweight collector, just a few precious scarves (hidden away for unknown reasons - addressing the issue) but more a focused wearer.

So glad to have found this thread - I have quite a bit of catching up to do!

For right now I will only say that after 20 years of collecting, I have probably divested myself of more scarves than anyone else here. I like to keep my collection relatively small, and I am always refining it to reflect my current style and wardrobe. There were even a few I regretted letting go of and bought back again!

I keep saying that one day I will start a thread about my scarf journey because I have multiple photos of everything I've ever owned (save two scarves, and I know which two, and one of them I have never seen anywhere else). I forget how many photos I have, but I'm pretty sure it's around 20k.

Holy mackerel! Yes, I’d love to hear about your scarf journey.

I can see how you may have. I know how carefully you document each scarf. I hope I absorb some of your organisational skills.

Photographs are very important to me in general. You can only imagine how many I have of my children! Seriously, when my former computer started running out of HDD space I spent three days deleting photos that were either duplicates or I knew I could live without.

Holy mackerel! Yes, I’d love to hear about your scarf journey.

I'm warming up to it. [emoji5]

Do other people with (what they consider) sizeable collections feel a lot less panicky over their later new choices?

I used to hate it so much if I wish-listed a design for the coming season and then not find an example in a good cw. I remember a state of complete bewilderment that no new cw of La Grand Vie du Nord reissue worked for me, no cw of the original Mythique Phoenix. Now I just think, ho hum, back to the vintage/HG list or wait till next season. Now, I can make myself feel better in a minute by looking at the scarves I have already (shopping in my own closet) but back 8 years, I felt like something would be missing forever like the last piece of a precious jigsaw.

Do you remember we had a conversation once upon a time about whether we were scarf collectors or wearers. Collectors must collect and wearers must wear. I suppose on balance, I'm only a lightweight collector, just a few precious scarves (hidden away for unknown reasons - addressing the issue) but more a focused wearer.

PT, I still get pissed off if a design I love has no good cws for me. Not panicky, though, as I always have just enough.
I am definitely a wearer and not a collector!

I’ve only been at this a few years but yeah, I’ve had the FOMO feeling for sure. The PdS 90 colorways had none that flattered me. I did try on the CSGM CW5 yesterday in Dallas. I would have gotten it but it was on hold for someone. Having said that, I keep thinking....do I really *need* another CSGM? I do wear them but I live in a warm climate so I do not wear them as much as some of you. I am definitely a wearer but love the hunt.

Interesting distinction. I am totally a wearer. The only scarf that I have rehomed (Brides Fleuries) was one I just couldn't make work with my wardrobe. Now before purchasing I ask myself why I am drawn to the scarf . If the answer doesn't include ideas about how I'd wear it, I know it's not for me.

I am a wearer with some slight magpie collecting urges. But yes, I wear what I buy.
I am impressed that BBC has had so many scarves, but constantly keeps her current collection so small. I never thought I would have as many scarves as I currently have. I mean I don’t really NEED this many, but I do LOVE them.
I haven’t made many mistakes, luckily, but I do have 2 scarves that I could let go and not get an urge to rebuy. Although the colors look good on me, they feel “too bright” for how I like to dress currently.
I also have a handful of scarves that I could let go because they are in colors that I am not really drawn to- they contain gold, or warm tones. However, they were all selected by DH- they are really more “his” colors than mine. However, I keep them because I feel he would be hurt if I got rid of them- and I do occasionally wear them.
I have down sized some of my non- H scarves.

Interesting distinction. I am totally a wearer. The only scarf that I have rehomed (Brides Fleuries) was one I just couldn't make work with my wardrobe. Now before purchasing I ask myself why I am drawn to the scarf . If the answer doesn't include ideas about how I'd wear it, I know it's not for me.

ITA. Some scarves' designs only work perfectly only in some cw in my eyes, they don't always correspond to what's good to wear.

Bunnycat , thanks for joining in here. MYH has a wonderful thread about her own collection and has mentioned why she has released a few scarves with reasons why .I found that so interesting and really just wanted to have a place where we can talk about the subject, spin ideas and even ask advice,

So….140cm Mousselines. I truly admire the way they look on others and developed a huge desire to own a red Carre Kantha after seeing it on Arabesque's blog , and an even larger one to acquire that phenomenal orange Fantasies Indiennes on MaiTai's wonderfully enabling pages.
Neither have come my way , but the first 140cm I found was Fantasies Indiennes in pink and black.
It's a wow piece but I always felt frumpy in it , so off it went.
It's all about the feeling I get when I wear a scarf , once I take against it the poor scarf's days are numbered!
A very glamorous friend wears her Mousselines like a Queen , I wanted some of that action and cravenly copied her on a couple .
The magic wasn't there for me, I felt they were too fussy and I looked more like the Queen Mother. At my age we don't want to feel like that!
I suppose I dress to a certain silhouette and floaty scarves aren't quite the right accessory .
The pareo is just so different . A Mousseline is refined and feminine, a cotton voile pareo feels super casual yet the colours and pattern are divinely Hermès.
I wear my Flamingo Party such a lot , and of course on holiday it's wonderful .Highly recommend a Pareo , and Robe de Soir is beautiful in the format.
Here's a long gone Moussline, Fantasies Indiennes
Love this piece! It's beautiful :heart:

I just found this thead. I have a horrible habit of only really threads I "follow" so am now following this one.

Thank you frou frou for starting it! I'm still reading through it, but here are my limited thoughts.

So far, I've only bought when I am deeply in love. Sadly though, I haven't always stayed in love. For various reasons. In the case of Jeu d'Omnibus 70, I just decided that the colors didn't work for me. Both in and of themselves, and ON me. So, I deliberately wore the bejesus out of it for a year and ensured I still felt the same, and gave it away to a friend who really liked it. Win/Win.

The second, can't remember the name! The beautiful one with all the carriages of the Queen. Anyway, same thing. For whatever reason, over time I decided I didn't care for black and gold on me. Which is odd since I seem to love it on everyone else. I also didn't particularly like the way this one tied. I always wanted to accent the little hits of red and had a very hard time doing it. I was never satisfied with how it looked. So, once again, I wore it like mad for a year and when I still felt the same, I gave it away to a good home.

The above two I bought resale myself and didn't pay a lot of money for, so I was fine with gifting them.

The last was a real surprise and there is absolutely no logical explanation for why I fell out of love with it. I just did. It looked great on me. Good colors. Beautiful design. But for whatever reason, the love faded. This one I sold privately and it is in a much better home now. I did the same thing where I wore it and wore it and loved it less and less. Weird. Oh this, btw, was the brown/pink Au Portes des Palais. I know I know.

I've not yet delved into the online selling thing so am not comfortable with it the way you all are. I think for that reason I may still be holding on to one or two that I am not quite ready to give up yet. So, I make a point of wearing them. They just don't make my heart sing the way so many others do. We'll see.