Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Interesting! I missed out on ELeK and am considering Acte III CW5, maybe I'll get a bit of the ELeK vibe that way. My two cents - I see nothing wrong with having a lot of blue scarves if cool tones are your strong suit. Especially if your primary motivation is wearing as opposed to collecting. That said, my guess is all 3 scarves would look different IRL tied. The thumbnail files replicate the look of the scarf from far away so everything seems to blend. Up close, detail and color differences become more apparent. For example, the "tribal stripe" corner of Acte III looks nothing like anything on ELeK and has a lot more "color and value contrast per unit of area" than anything on ELeK. And don't forget the yellow contrast hem on Acte III which is hard to see on the thumbnail. Thoughts?

Plus Act III has very different corners and therefore a very versatile scarf design

Good point. That cw MM has quite a bit of gold ad silver highlight, but it also has a similar vibe of fairies at nighttime too. It doesn't have and soft red in it though, but then you the ExLenK, so I see the overlaps.

I am determined not to buy any more blue scarves and Act III has several cws with that are lovely but feature blues strogly, cw 06 was a great choice for me but has blue and orange something that overlaps with one of my Les Facéties de Pégase. Very different themes/designs but ultimately there is no point in having both.

Yes 06 did it for me too , but I had said no more 90s……

Reactions: papertiger
I’m hoping I have a chance to try the mauve one in the boutique. I wouldn’t mind adding that color to my collection, if it suits me. But there’s something about 05 that makes my :heart:skip a beat... and that’s always a sign!

I hadn’t thought to try my ELEK with either white or denim... terrific ideas. I think I don’t reach for it nearly often enough. But now that I’ve gone through a major scarf purge, including a number of blue ones, I suspect I’ll wear it much more frequently.

It's the beat your heart skipped that says it all :heart::heart::heart:

I’m hoping I have a chance to try the mauve one in the boutique. I wouldn’t mind adding that color to my collection, if it suits me. But there’s something about 05 that makes my :heart:skip a beat... and that’s always a sign!

I hadn’t thought to try my ELEK with either white or denim... terrific ideas. I think I don’t reach for it nearly often enough. But now that I’ve gone through a major scarf purge, including a number of blue ones, I suspect I’ll wear it much more frequently.
This was a big purge. I agree that you'll have more scarves in rotation now. This is exciting!

Reactions: ElainePG
This was a big purge. I agree that you'll have more scarves in rotation now. This is exciting!
Clearing out 25% of my collection has been enormously liberating. Now when I pick out my scarf for the day the feeling is always anticipatory, and never guilty that I'm leaving out one of the "orphans"!
ETA: Only on this forum would the concept of "scarf orphans" be immediately understood! :lol:

I agree... this is a fascinating topic, and our discussion about this season's new Acte III scarf has me thinking about it a lot.

When I consider what draws me to scarves, I believe it depends on whether I'm in the boutique (which is only once a year) or on line. In the boutique, I'm drawn first to color, and then to theme/design. For example, I never even bother to look at the drawers of yellow, brown, or olive scarves because they simply don't suit me and I don't want to waste my SAs (or The Hubster's!) time. Point me to the blues, the clear reds, the raspberries, the purples, the emeralds, or the black & white scarves, please! :amuse:

But on the H site, or on our threads here on tPF, it's definitely design/theme first, and only if that pleases me, do I then look into whether it comes in "my" colorway. My criteria for designs/themes:
1. Nothing overly large (like Zebra Pegasus or JQ)
2. But also nothing teeny-weeny (like Au Pays des Oiseux Fleurs, which I owned, and which I am in the process of re-homing :annoyed:)
3. Nature is good: fish (Grands Fonds, Under the Waves), birds (La Clé des Champs), or critters & trees (Dans un Jardin Anglais)
4. But not dead nature. I'm in the process of re-homing my extremely old Chiens au Rapport, which used to go beautifully with my navy suits, but I hate the dead ducks hanging down from the dogs' mouths. Squick.
5. And not horses, for some reason. I realize this is heresy. :P
6. Not geometrics. Symmetrical is fine, but I prefer my symmetry in swirly, fluid shapes (Le Jardin de la Maharani)
7. Complex, surprising, semi-mystical designs (Mythes et Metamorphoses, Mythiques Phoenix, and perhaps the new Acte III)
8. Designs that I can imagine wearing to a particular venue (Turandot, and Les Ballets Russes, obviously. Acte III also works for this category, darn it!)
9. Designs that I can stare at for hours, in awe of the designer's artistry (Sieste au Paradis. Samouraïs, though I resisted for a long time). And maybe Acte III? :shocked:

Hmmmmm... I wonder which colorway of Acte III would be good for me? :panic: :panic: :panic:
I've been reading and re-reading your list because it's logical and comprehensive. Really must put some thought into doing up a list of my own. It would cut down the amount of hemming and hawing at the boutique and the massive indecision when perusing h.com.

I have been ruthlessly editing my silk tansu. Having collected for more than a decade now, i am still i porgress. I’ve no clue as to when it will stop either, but my sense of it is that it will be at least 30-60% of my collection. Most of them are 90 twills. The hardest part is dealing with whether they go to resellers for consignment or to list on auction sites. It seems I reach for 140 sizes more frequently and due to climate, mousselines get the most use during nine months of the year.

My edits are simple, if it no longer works for my coloring ( which has certainly changed in the past year), overly detailed patterns that create a fussy or traditional vibe, and lastly do I love the design to keep it as either one that still inspires my love of the art or that makes me feel energetic or happy. My goal is to have a curated silk collection as i have also edited everything in my household. I will take snaps of what I feel are the ones that remain in the tansu sometime in the few weeks.

I have been ruthlessly editing my silk tansu. Having collected for more than a decade now, i am still i porgress. I’ve no clue as to when it will stop either, but my sense of it is that it will be at least 30-60% of my collection. Most of them are 90 twills. The hardest part is dealing with whether they go to resellers for consignment or to list on auction sites. It seems I reach for 140 sizes more frequently and due to climate, mousselines get the most use during nine months of the year.

My edits are simple, if it no longer works for my coloring ( which has certainly changed in the past year), overly detailed patterns that create a fussy or traditional vibe, and lastly do I love the design to keep it as either one that still inspires my love of the art or that makes me feel energetic or happy. My goal is to have a curated silk collection as i have also edited everything in my household. I will take snaps of what I feel are the ones that remain in the tansu sometime in the few weeks.
We will all be looking forward to your choices - though I must confess that I have not seen a single scarf choice of yours that I did not think wasn't extraordinary. You do a fantastic job in your selections. :heart:

I admire you! And I love the word 'ruthless'.... It is so difficult to cull one's collection that it does feel ruthless.

Reactions: lanit

I can't wait to see! Your choice are always so magnificent, I know it must a hard to decide what goes or stays. Everyone's taste change over time, and the things you liked or what looked good on you 10 years ago may not be the same as today, so that is easy to understand, but still would make for some hard choices.

Kudos to you for downsizing everything! I would be interested to see pix of ones going out as well as ones staying.

Wow, same here, Lani. I feel a large scarf purge coming on, definitely among my 90s.
But I'm the sort of person who takes a scarf out to photograph for selling, then I fall back in love with all the details, etc.
Yesterday I wore a scarf "for the last time" before intending to list it, but I fell back in love with it and now.......I'm hopeless.

Wow, same here, Lani. I feel a large scarf purge coming on, definitely among my 90s.
But I'm the sort of person who takes a scarf out to photograph for selling, then I fall back in love with all the details, etc.
Yesterday I wore a scarf "for the last time" before intending to list it, but I fell back in love with it and now.......I'm hopeless.
Haha! This sounds like me!