Love for late 90s minimalism -anyone else?

I love 90's trends! Some of the things I got rid of were my matching skirts/pants and blazer/jackets. The materials were not good at all. They were cheap and good enough for a young person starting a professional career.

I am still a J Crew addict! I think they do a good job keeping a little of the 1990's aesthetic.

Reactions: jade and Etriers
“The key to achieving the 90s minimalist aesthetic is to keep your silhouette straight and streamlined. Slip skirts and dresses, cropped t-shirts, long fitted skirts, and straight-legged pants are essentials to achieve this effortlessly chic look. Additionally, adding a thin knit (i.e. a cardigan) on top of your outfit will automatically help you achieve the relaxed vibe of 90s style” From: https://www.themadameblue.com/blog/history-of-90s-minimalist-fashion

Who What Wear: https://www.whowhatwear.com/90s-minimalism

This one says you can decide what kind of 90’s minimalist you want to be: Slick Minimalist, Girl Gone Grunge, Waif Minimal, Androgenous Minimal. Hmm…

I hesitate to say this without setting off a flurry of off-topic comments (so please don’!) This is ONLY about CLOTHES. One who really nails 90’s minimal every time is Meghan Markle. The blue and white shirt at Wimbledon in 2018. The totally Carolyn-esque choice of ripped jeans and white shirt for a first public date, the sleek hair, the clean lines. I was looking up other celebs recommended for 90’s minimal. Diane Keaton comes up. Her houses for sure. Any thoughts? Claire Foy is mentioned. Sade—yes, for sure. Jennifer Anniston—big yes. And Meg Ryan. And her houses. Other ideas? Interesting how 90’s dressers also are 90’s minimal decorators…

Oh, I do miss the shift dress with matching long jacket. I loved that look. I ended up having one made because it was impossible to find and then they had a moment of resurgence and I was so hopeful annnnnddd… COVID hit. Sigh.
Aaaannnddd…..tracksuits and gym wear ruled haha.
Actually if I want something I can’t find in stores I look into Etsy and see what can be custom made or bought vintage.
There are also good luxury vintage stores that have nice pieces from then. Designer.

Reactions: Etriers
“The key to achieving the 90s minimalist aesthetic is to keep your silhouette straight and streamlined. Slip skirts and dresses, cropped t-shirts, long fitted skirts, and straight-legged pants are essentials to achieve this effortlessly chic look. Additionally, adding a thin knit (i.e. a cardigan) on top of your outfit will automatically help you achieve the relaxed vibe of 90s style” From: https://www.themadameblue.com/blog/history-of-90s-minimalist-fashion

Who What Wear: https://www.whowhatwear.com/90s-minimalism

This one says you can decide what kind of 90’s minimalist you want to be: Slick Minimalist, Girl Gone Grunge, Waif Minimal, Androgenous Minimal. Hmm…
Good articles. yes, a cardigan (twin-set even better I’ve been looking for these)

• Love
Good articles. yes, a cardigan (twin-set even better I’ve been looking for these)

I wish I could find an old fashioned twin set. Sometimes it’s hard to explain what’s wrong. Everyone tries to put their own spin on it and so the cardigan is either too long or short or the wrong shape, or it flops open in a weird way because the button placket doesn’t lay flat. Sometimes the neckline of the interior shell sweater is too droopy. Consequently it loses that classic, feminine vibe. I’ve looked up the company that supposedly did/does Queen Elizabeth’s twin sets but even the ones they sell now don’t quite look like hers. She probably bought 1,000 in 1964 and hasn’t bought any since.

• Haha
Reactions: 880 and lulu212121
I wish I could find an old fashioned twin set. Sometimes it’s hard to explain what’s wrong. Everyone tries to put their own spin on it and so the cardigan is either too long or short or the wrong shape, or it flops open in a weird way because the button placket doesn’t lay flat. Sometimes the neckline of the interior shell sweater is too droopy. Consequently it loses that classic, feminine vibe. I’ve looked up the company that supposedly did/does Queen Elizabeth’s twin sets but even the ones they sell now don’t quite look like hers. She probably bought 1,000 in 1964 and hasn’t bought any since.
Oh totally! I look on Vestiaire Collective and even Etsy to see....but either the size or the color are wrong.
And the modern twin set is fluffy with a short "brassiere" or crop top, not a shot sleeve/sleeveless top with high neckline.

• Insightful
I´ve been trying to find a pencil skirt, below knee, in camel for the longest time...
There is vintage on Etsy but otherwise I can´t really find any makers forhandmade ones, or the material/colors look so cheap.
Usually from China there are good models, but more in A-line or circle skirt, which I got hand made ordered from Europe in black.

What about buying an upholstery-grade camel fabric and having a skirt made from a classic 50’s pencil skirt pattern? I imagine that it is also possible to buy actual camel hair wool. You probably would only need a yard.

View attachment 5287867View attachment 5287867

Ralph Lauren Fabric: https://www.onlinefabricstore.com/r...MIz4GQhdyY9QIVOBXUAR2OMwEoEAQYBSABEgLxs_D_BwE
Yes, I even was thinking to do it myself !!...But I would still rather have a professional. And where I live a professional seamstress quoted me 700 usd for a simple short wool jacket.
Finding the fabric is also going to be mission impossible, fabric stores have been closing one after another...so online is the option left :sad: Hence my request for the Etsy seamstresses. Some offer really good work, with a pattern they use and know by heart, but haven´t found the classic pencil skirt.