LOVE BRACELET WORRIES/SECURITY

lxrac

Aug 15, 2019
A friend of mine shared a story of his coworker being robbed in Madrid. The robbers just wanted her jewelries and she had on two love bracelets too. She implored and begged the robbers because she didn't have the screwdriver with her. They eventually just took her other jewelries. This made me nervous and gave me a different perspective on the Love bangle. Do you guys bring your screwdrivers with you? I don't think i'll be wearing Love bracelets when I travel in the future because I don't want my hands chopped off just because of a bracelet
Any thoughts?

I can’t deal with any jewelry that can’t be easily removed. This is why I got the cuff instead. I have also heard of horror stories of people needing to go to the hospital for emergency care and the hospital sawing off the bracelet.

I agree completely! I never thought about this before especially with the Love bangle. Although I love the style and sentiment behind it, but it does turn out to be a security risk. I'm so scared to wear them now ;(

I'm sorry that happened to your friend. It must have been very scary. :sad:

I saw a few Youtubers discuss traveling with their love bracelets and most of them bring the screwdriver with them when going through security at airports just it case it absolutely has to be taken off.

I usually wear long sleeves so no one really sees or notices my love bracelet. I'll only show more or wear more jewelry when I'm with my husband or when I know I am in a relatively safe environment.

If I really feel the need, I'll twist my wedding band and E-ring so that they face inwards into the palm of my hand. That way none of them sparkle or attract any attention. neither of my wedding rings are full eternity stones, so they'll just look like 2 metal bands.

Pickpocketing has been relatively well known throughout parts of Europe for years. I haven't been to Europe 2019 (last time was Greece and Albania), but if anything, I'll make sure to not wear as much, keep my guard up, and hope for the best!

Note: I travel relatively often usually with at least one friend, but I have traveled alone before. And I've found the best way to not attract attention is to dress very simply/plainly. I have no logos, no bright colors or tight clothing that shows a lot of skin. I tend to not wear makeup. I usually have a fake wallet in a purse with small cash/bills. If anything, I'll throw it to them and run. (I wear sneakers or flat shoes so that if I need to run I can.) The real wallet and my passport is in a more secure area on my person.

Which youtuber was this? I wanna know more travel tips, daily tips.
It was one of FashionablyAMY's luxury live shows. It's not like a main topic they talked about. It was brought up and discussed during one of the videos and then they moved on to another topic of discussion.

I just came back from Europe (Paris, Venice and Rome) and wore my LOVE bangle and thankfully didn't have any problems. Of course, as usual however, it beeped through security but once you show them your bracelet, they're used to seeing them, especially internationally. They just wand me/or pat me down, which is inconvenient because it does take longer, but as long as you plan the extra time in security, you'll be fine.

As far as traveling with your screwdriver, if it makes you feel safe, then do it. It's so small I can't imagine there'd be an issue with carrying it on the plane. But either way, I also wear long sleeves most of the time, so my bangle is always covered.

I don’t travel much but I also wouldn’t bring the screwdriver with me even if I did.

When holidaying or just out and about in general, I tend to wear long sleeves so my bracelets are hidden most of the time.

For safety when travelling, I’d say keep your jewellery minimal - don’t make it obvious that you are a tourist.

Reactions: lxrac
That is one of many reasons the Love bracelet is a no for me.

I had a bad ankle sprain last year where I fell and heard a pop. All I could think was “get your shoe off get your shoe off” before it started to swell.

Now, imagine that was a wrist and you had a love bracelet. Falls on outstretched hands are astoundingly common and wrist sprains/breaks are an easy result. It’s not a risk I would want to take. NOPE. And that doesn’t even touch the chilling scenario you mentioned with theft.

Really do wish Cartier would make these so that they can be removed more easily.

People go on about the symbolism of not being able to remove it….but if you read about chastity belts, I really don’t think they’re quite the loving symbol you imagine they are.

That is one of many reasons the Love bracelet is a no for me.

I had a bad ankle sprain last year where I fell and heard a pop. All I could think was “get your shoe off get your shoe off” before it started to swell.

Now, imagine that was a wrist and you had a love bracelet. Falls on outstretched hands are astoundingly common and wrist sprains/breaks are an easy result. It’s not a risk I would want to take. NOPE. And that doesn’t even touch the chilling scenario you mentioned with theft.

Really do wish Cartier would make these so that they can be removed more easily.

People go on about the symbolism of not being able to remove it….but if you read about chastity belts, I really don’t think they’re quite the loving symbol you imagine they are.
OMG I didn't even think about accidents and injuries with the love bangle!!! It's making me not want to wear them anymore. :sad:

I would say let's email Cartier and suggest they adapt the pavé bracelets' opening mechanism: hinge on one side and a button like structure. Maybe they'll listen, maybe they won't.

Reactions: Emily1830
I am not sure if it is OCD but I cannot wear anything knowing that I cannot take it off any time I want. It would drive me crazy to the point of me messing with it until it would fall apart. Lol. I also do not see myself wearing it 24/7, which is meant to be. Furthermore, I do not like bracelets or any jewelry that takes an hour to put on (screw on in this case). But, despite that, I have a small Love bracelet because I can unscrew it with my nails. I appreciate the sentiment and history behind the original Love bracelet but that is about it. I let others enjoy it. I also do not carry my original screw driver in case it would get lost but I got one from Amazon for my travels and it works the same.