Love bracelet after a year (or years) of wearing

pursedyp

Nov 9, 2011
Hi

I got my love bracelet (YG) on ebay and have been worn it for about a year.
But I feel like it doesn't look as yellow/gold as it should be, cause I have a friend who also has a YG bracelet and hers looks even more yellow over time than it did when it was new.
How did your love bracelet look after a year of wearing?

Reactions: hiri and uhpharm01
is yours new or pre-owned? Metals oxidize over time due to exposure to air. This creates a thin layer on top of the jewelry piece that usually turns it darker and gives it a more matte finish. What your seeing could be this effect. Some people don't like darker look, a quick jewelry steam or ultrasonic or even light polish with a cloth can remove the buildup and bring the brightness back.

Reactions: Caz71 and hiri
is yours new or pre-owned? Metals oxidize over time due to exposure to air. This creates a thin layer on top of the jewelry piece that usually turns it darker and gives it a more matte finish. What your seeing could be this effect. Some people don't like darker look, a quick jewelry steam or ultrasonic or even light polish with a cloth can remove the buildup and bring the brightness back.

Thanks for your response! I think I wasn't being clear. What I meant was my bracelet doesn't look darker although I assume it should look darker after being worn for a while. It rather looks lighter (less yellowish) than it was when it was new. I have other 18k gold bracelets and they all turned darker after I wore them for several months. It would be helpful to know how others' LOVE looked after a year...

I've been wearing my Love for 4 years now and it is a similar color as to when I bought it. It might have slightly darkened but definitely didn't get lighter in color. I also bought mine the preloved route with the old screw system. Mine was made in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

My Mom had one in yellow gold for many years and it never got lighter. I've actually never heard of yellow gold looking lighter in color after several years. You mentioned you bought it on ebay. Are you sure it's authentic, and not a copy that is merely gold plated? I hope you didn't get ripped off. I have seen items that were gold plated and over time from scraping and rubbing against things, plating can wear through or chip off showing the underlying metal beneath.

Reactions: Kindness3 and hiri
I've been wearing mine since 2012. I have 2 of them. They don't go lighter for sure and I would notice if one is lighter than the other, plenty of scratches though,... :sad:

My Mom had one in yellow gold for many years and it never got lighter. I've actually never heard of yellow gold looking lighter in color after several years. You mentioned you bought it on ebay. Are you sure it's authentic, and not a copy that is merely gold plated? I hope you didn't get ripped off. I have seen items that were gold plated and over time from scraping and rubbing against things, plating can wear through or chip off showing the underlying metal beneath.

This is what I thought. My mom's never got lighter

Hi

I got my love bracelet (YG) on ebay and have been worn it for about a year.
But I feel like it doesn't look as yellow/gold as it should be, cause I have a friend who also has a YG bracelet and hers looks even more yellow over time than it did when it was new.
How did your love bracelet look after a year of wearing?

My bracelets came with cartier cleaning gel and a little toothbrush looking thing. I clean them once a month and they get really shiny afterwards. Perhaps you can go to a cartier retailer and buy the cleaning gel and see if it helps? :smile: