Louis Vuitton's current collection - variety and color

Shelly319

May 13, 2015
Hi LV Lovers, in the past year or so I've noticed that LV has significantly increased the types of bags available in its collection and added a lot of color. Its a bit overwhelming with the number and variety of bags IMO (400+!). Some of the new items are beautiful but others just seem a little over the top. I've also noticed more complaints on YouTube and here in the TPF re quality. What do you think about the direction LV is going? Too many bags? Do you think current prices justify quality? Just curious to know what you think.

Recently I stopped in at an LV store and I wasn't all that impressed......I own a few older LV pieces and can tell you that there is a difference in the quality of the canvas. I see that the canvas may crack on some newer pieces. I still love LV bags because their quality is STILL better than many other designers. Most LV bags are lighter and more functional.

I actually owned a Hermes Birkin and HATED IT! It was heavy, not functional. I had to struggle with the top flap to open the bag. I never understood the fascination. Honestly, it was one of the worst bags I've ever owned!

I agree that LV has come out with too many FAD bags, which are not for me. However, I still love the CLASSIC Speedys, Neverfulls, and some others. I am eyeing the Speedy B25 Empreinte ;)
Having had a collection of designer bags, I became very picky......You have to do research and not jump at the first new bag that comes out. Are the LV bags worth the money? Not the poorly made ones with pressure spots...i. e. I tried on a few LV bags and could tell just from wearing them for a few minutes in the store that they would wear in certain spots.....then I checked some pre-loved sites for wear and tear, and would see people selling defective LV bags with cracked areas, just as I suspected. Hope that helps.

I left lv for couple years ( still wore my old ones) but I'm back! I love so many of the new bags. I do now prefer less of monogram, although empreinte is beautiful. Prices do seem much higher than previously but then so are other designers. Having been a member on here for at least a decade, it does seem like there are more quality issues. I think before I purchase a new style I will wait to see the feedback on it.

Recently I stopped in at an LV store and I wasn't all that impressed......I own a few older LV pieces and can tell you that there is a difference in the quality of the canvas. I see that the canvas may crack on some newer pieces. I still love LV bags because their quality is STILL better than many other designers. Most LV bags are lighter and more functional.

I actually owned a Hermes Birkin and HATED IT! It was heavy, not functional. I had to struggle with the top flap to open the bag. I never understood the fascination. Honestly, it was one of the worst bags I've ever owned!

I agree that LV has come out with too many FAD bags, which are not for me. However, I still love the CLASSIC Speedys, Neverfulls, and some others. I am eyeing the Speedy B25 Empreinte ;)
Having had a collection of designer bags, I became very picky......You have to do research and not jump at the first new bag that comes out. Are the LV bags worth the money? Not the poorly made ones with pressure spots...i. e. I tried on a few LV bags and could tell just from wearing them for a few minutes in the store that they would wear in certain spots.....then I checked some pre-loved sites for wear and tear, and would see people selling defective LV bags with cracked areas, just as I suspected. Hope that helps.

Agree absolutely that you need to do your research which is why I love the tpf and the you tubers who share their reviews. When I first started purchasing I did some buying without thinking carefully about what I actually want and would be good to have in my collection. I have been on the fence about the Birkin. It is so beautiful but my concern also has been weight and ease of use. I am also not really a crook of the arm purse person. I am usually cross body or shoulder because I like to be carefree and worry about bag security when out! I live in a nice area but there have been random incidences and you never know!

Reactions: Chenai
I love the classics but do enjoy some variety. But if quality can't keep up, then LV should not try & produce so many different designs. I did not care about the World Tour series at all. Only one that sparked my interest was the Infrarouge PM but all the problems with glazing issues made me quit looking at it. So glad for TPF for research!

Agree absolutely that you need to do your research which is why I love the tpf and the you tubers who share their reviews. When I first started purchasing I did some buying without thinking carefully about what I actually want and would be good to have in my collection. I have been on the fence about the Birkin. It is so beautiful but my concern also has been weight and ease of use. I am also not really a crook of the arm purse person. I am usually cross body or shoulder because I like to be carefree and worry about bag security when out! I live in a nice area but there have been random incidences and you never know!

I'm a shoulder/crossbody person, too. I love handbags, but now I'm very particular how a bag functions. I'm done with the "form over function" stage, so I can be cool. Lol.. The Birkin was a pain and it was an expensive lesson learned to be careful about a "bag hype". For a while, I even stopped buying expensive bags. Purchased a MK and it fell apart literally after a couple of wears. It was very functional, but poor quality.
I love the Speedy B25 Empreinte, but am wondering IF I would be happy with it not being a shoulder bag, so I may wait and try it our PRE-loved. This way I won't spend 3k and find out that I don't like it....what to do....what to do....Such a dilemma. I realize that like houses, there are no perfect bags...

I'm a shoulder/crossbody person, too. I love handbags, but now I'm very particular how a bag functions. I'm done with the "form over function" stage, so I can be cool. Lol.. The Birkin was a pain and it was an expensive lesson learned to be careful about a "bag hype". For a while, I even stopped buying expensive bags. Purchased a MK and it fell apart literally after a couple of wears. It was very functional, but poor quality.
I love the Speedy B25 Empreinte, but am wondering IF I would be happy with it not being a shoulder bag, so I may wait and try it our PRE-loved. This way I won't spend 3k and find out that I don't like it....what to do....what to do....Such a dilemma. I realize that like houses, there are no perfect bags...
I am thinking seriously about buying a Birkin. Thank you very much for your useful information. I have used several leather bags before and I know that I dont like heavy bags, the lighter the better to me.

Reactions: Chenai and scndlslv
I am thinking seriously about buying a Birkin. Thank you very much for your useful information. I have used several leather bags before and I know that I dont like heavy bags, the lighter the better to me.

Don't get me wrong, the Birkin is a beautiful bag, excellent craftsmanship, but it's far from perfection, esp. for the money. For me, it was too heavy, but I'm small framed. I always wondered why the celebrities wore it open. Then I got my answer. You had to pull on the flap and wiggle it to open it; too cumbersome for me. It just looks pretty, but what a pain. I'm not a patient person and am always in a hurry so I cannot be fighting and giggling flaps, closures and the like. The best way to carry it is always open, and no shoulder strap, so if you're ok with that, it may be the bag for you. I don't want to discourage you from getting something that is on your list.

Reactions: scndlslv
I don't mind of LV creating many variety of bags. That what LV is...a luxury handbag manufacturer.

I do wish LV would offer a little more different style of compartment for women wallets. A lot of them have the Sarah wallet layout. I would love a vertical layout. Please! [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

I really think I'm done acquiring any new LV bags. By in large I really hate the new collections and general direction. However my last purchase was a Racing Neverfull (which was a big surprise) and the World Tour Keepall (which satisfied my need for a unique keepall with no vachetta). My collection of 19 bags is varied and colorful and functional for me. But too many of my newer bags had major quality issues which are too common to be coincidence.

Of my recent purchases I think the Soft Lockit (which was discontinued) best represents my current aesthetic. I prefer quality leather and craftsmanship that's under the radar. Hence my shift to Birkins. Heavy leather bags don't bother me and I generally prefer handheld bags. I got 3 Bs in a year and although I rarely carry any of my bags because I work from home I'm happy with them and plan to get 6 more then I'll be done with my purse collection and will only add exceptional items.

Last edited:
There are various types of Hermes leathers and all of them are not heavy which is relative anyway. Also Hermes has other styles that may be a better fit for you. You should spend some time in the Hermes forum which is a wealth of information.

I don't mind of LV creating many variety of bags. That what LV is...a luxury handbag manufacturer.

I do wish LV would offer a little more different style of compartment for women wallets. A lot of them have the Sarah wallet layout. I would love a vertical layout. Please! [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]

I wish they offered more wallets too in that style and also in the Victorine style. I don't need so many card slots either.

Reactions: JA_UK
I really think I'm done acquiring any new LV bags. By in large I really hate the new collections and general direction. However my last purchase was a Racing Neverfull (which was a big surprise) and the World Tour Keepall (which satisfied my need for a unique keepall with no vachetta). My collection of 19 bags is varied and colorful and functional for me. But too many of my newer bags had major quality issues which are too common to be coincidence.

Of my recent purchases I think the Soft Lockit (which was discontinued) best represents my current aesthetic. I prefer quality leather and craftsmanship that's under the radar. Hence my shift to Birkins. Heavy leather bags don't bother me and I generally prefer handheld bags. I got 3 Bs in a year and although I rarely carry any of my bags because I work from home I'm happy with them and plan to get 6 more then I'll be done with my purse collection and will only add exceptional items.

I like the more understated pieces as well. I miss the old Louis Vuitton quality. I think the brand is still by in large more durable than most other lux items. IMO the color schemes and the vision is too varied for the newer items. If the bags did not have the iconic Damier or monogram print I don't think I would be able to identify the item as Louis Vuitton.

i'd prefer if lv offered their standards with various interior colors. allow us to get all azure/de/mono pieces in rb or turquoise or purple or whatever before offering so many other bags and slgs. the amount of new items also hurts resale because the interest in new items is only for a small time before something newer comes along and the old stuff (just 6 months or so) is outdated. nothing against the little birds on the wallets, but i can see that going by the wayside quickly and designs like that really don't seem timeless or lux to me. i wish they'd be a bit less trendy and concentrate on core pieces.