Louis Vuitton Sunglasses

LVoer_Girl

May 12, 2014
I was thinking about getting a pair of LV sunglasses, but then someone mentioned on another thread that LV sunglasses are not polarized --- which lead me to wonder A) what is polarized and B) does this mean that they are nothing more than simply overpriced fashion accessories with actual no purposeful use other than to look good?

What Sunglasses should I get if not LV?

Suggestions, please!

Polarized means they are anti-glare. It's very useful for driving and similar things where glare from the sun is a problem.
They do have UV protection.
I love my LV sunglasses and just keep a pair of regular polarized glasses in the car.
You can replace the LV lenses with polarized ones but you lose the logo on them.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app

Polarized means they are anti-glare. It's very useful for driving and similar things where glare from the sun is a problem.
They do have UV protection.
I love my LV sunglasses and just keep a pair of regular polarized glasses in the car.
You can replace the LV lenses with polarized ones but you lose the logo on them.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum mobile app
Another good fact to know about polarized sunglasses is you will want to remove them to look at your phone or computer screen. With normal sunglasses, you can leave them on. Polarized makes the screen unreadable. This is why I tend to wear polarized for playing tennis/sports and non-polarized for casual.

Polarization in sunglasses helps to reduce glare on a horizontal plane, so you're able to see details while wearing them. I used to tell customers (I work in vision insurance) to think of it like this - when you look at snow with the naked eye, it just looks smooth and it's hard to see any bumps or details. When you have polarized lenses on, you can see every bump and variance in the snow (which is why ski goggles are mostly all polarized).
I didn't know how great polarization was until I started working in vision and got my first pair of Rx sunglasses with polarization. You can always go to an optometrist and have them make you lenses for your glasses as well (Rx or not) after you've bought the frame, although it could void LV warranties.
With all that being said, it's not an absolute necessity, and I know people who actually don't like it on their lenses. It's all person preference.

Sorry for the novel. Hope that helped a little!

Polarization in sunglasses helps to reduce glare on a horizontal plane, so you're able to see details while wearing them. I used to tell customers (I work in vision insurance) to think of it like this - when you look at snow with the naked eye, it just looks smooth and it's hard to see any bumps or details. When you have polarized lenses on, you can see every bump and variance in the snow (which is why ski goggles are mostly all polarized).
I didn't know how great polarization was until I started working in vision and got my first pair of Rx sunglasses with polarization. You can always go to an optometrist and have them make you lenses for your glasses as well (Rx or not) after you've bought the frame, although it could void LV warranties.
With all that being said, it's not an absolute necessity, and I know people who actually don't like it on their lenses. It's all person preference.

Sorry for the novel. Hope that helped a little!
Wow, thanks for the info! I did not know all of this. I love my LV sunnies, so I guess I'm okay without polarization. I've been wearing them for years. Guess it's not a problem for me. :coolio:

I'm sure no one will agree with me, but designer sunglasses are pretty much never the best kind to get, performance-wise. They have the name and style but the lens quality doesn't compare to other brands. I know Prada makes some polarized glasses, which are made by Luxottica, of course.

Here in Florida, polarized is a must. I can't fathom spending so much on glasses when they're not even polarized. I have the Maui Jim Baby Beach, and love them. I used to have some of the Prada polarized, but they were glass and quite heavy.

I'm sure no one will agree with me, but designer sunglasses are pretty much never the best kind to get, performance-wise. They have the name and style but the lens quality doesn't compare to other brands. I know Prada makes some polarized glasses, which are made by Luxottica, of course.

Here in Florida, polarized is a must. I can't fathom spending so much on glasses when they're not even polarized. I have the Maui Jim Baby Beach, and love them. I used to have some of the Prada polarized, but they were glass and quite heavy.

I totally agree with you! I would love a pair of LV sunglasses but just can't justify paying that much for non-polarized plastic/acetate! Glad to hear you love your Maui Jim's, I've just been checking out the Pearl City's. :supacool:

I was thinking about getting a pair of LV sunglasses, but then someone mentioned on another thread that LV sunglasses are not polarized --- which lead me to wonder A) what is polarized and B) does this mean that they are nothing more than simply overpriced fashion accessories with actual no purposeful use other than to look good?

What Sunglasses should I get if not LV?

Suggestions, please!

Of the three pairs of LV sunnies I currently own, only one pair is polarized. I've had them for a while and don't believe they're still made. They're the Soupçon GM Landscape. At the time I bought them, both polarized and non-polarized options were available. I was also able to get them with the eastern nose bridge.

Last edited:
I bought a pair a few years ago. Ended up selling them after a week. They were a bit too ornate and expensive for everyday use. I really like Tom Ford sunglasses. Not polarized of course but they do have the UV protection. They are a simple design but still look great.

Totally agree. Currently, I have three pairs of Maui Jim sunglasses and they are the best - plus customer service is top notch. I got my first pair 16 years ago after I lost my sunclouds (back when they were the fancy polarized lens - 21 years ago and at age 18, it seemed insane to spend over $100 on sunglasses but it is so important to protect the eyes)

I like to wear my LVs, Chanels and Gucci sunglasses but at the end of the day, they are just fashionable sunglasses. It's great to have variety but if quality and performance is at issue, nothing beats MJ.