Louis Vuitton Quality

Rather like Apple, LV tend to put form before function. That sometimes leads to problems....

My three have always been the sticky internals issue, and whoever allowed it to happen at LV should be shot at dawn, The S lock which tended to snap off the pin, and the weak handles that always seemed to impact the document snd laptop type bags.

I am talking about 1990s to early 2000s products and I tend to stick with my LV collection and so I have zero experience post that era, but the odd times I have popped into the boutique and examined new stock I still see some basic design issues.

But then again if I wanted something that was 100% robust and bland I would use a canvas laptop bag supplied by HP, Lenovo or Dell.

Good question. I'm not sure if it's that the quality was better, or if people have gotten more picky as prices go up.

I just purchased a Mahina XL from Yoogies yesterday (in like new condition!) so I went to the clubhouse to look at photos and read more about the bag. Those bags were introduced in 2007 I believe, so I'm reading from back then. Even then, while most people loved their bags, some didn't like the natural leather markings (serrations) from the cow on their bags, and some said parts were smooth and parts were too pebbled. It started out as a $3K bag, back in 2007, so it was expensive and people wanted a perfect bag. It was more expensive than a Chanel Classic Flap at the time. Now, same as before, people want perfection. For some, a $3k bag is expensive and must be perfect, and for some, a $200 cles must be perfect b/c for them it's really expensive.

So, I'm not sure it's about quality being better. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't better back then. But in 2007, some ladies sent back their bags with serration marks in the leather, which were natural to the cow. Today, some ladies and gents don't like other things.

But, I will say, I'm enjoying finding gems from the earlier 2000's just for fun!

I am so sad to see my lightly used Damier Speedy 25 seems to have some rub off. The quality of the LV bags nowdays are really bad. I should stop buy them. I am posting this just for the benefit of others. Bag 1 is my vintage bucket which is quite beaten up. As you can see, the canvas is folded at a few places but that is because I didn't store this bag properly. Yet, the canvas print is in pefect condition. Bag 2 is not my bag. It is a picture of a Speedy 30 on a resale site. I think the bag is made 2015. Look at the rub off. Bag 3 is my Speedy 25 bought only in the last 5 years as well. It seems like the rub off is beginning to show. And it is not in an area that is prone to usual rub off so I feel it is not due to mishandling. This is really disappointing. I was thinking of buying an Odeon but I think I will shelf the idea now.

20200808_220047.jpg

20200808_220023.jpg

20200808_215959.jpg

20200808_215927.jpg

20200808_215856.jpg

I don’t agree. In your pictures , are examples of people not taking care of their bags. if you don’t store them properly of course it will look like that. And the other pictures look like rubbing . I have been using my mono v tote and don’t baby it and corners and canvas are fine. I haven’t had any issues with my LV bags...
Items 1 and 3 are my own bags. Item 1 is more than 10 years' old. You can see how it is not stored probably by the crease on the bag and I literally have stuff crushing on it, yet there isn't a single rub on the canvas. Not in any place at all. There are wears at the edges which I totally agree it is wear and tear. Item 3 is my recent year speedy which is hardly used. Definitely not as much as item 1. It is always stored in a dustbag, with bag insert in it. It is not even folded for storage. So yes, I know how these bags are treated and the new canvas is definitely not comparable to the old one.
Item 2 is not mine so I can't comment on how it is stored.

Okay - so I’ve taken a long break from Louis Vuitton. Probably 3-4 years. I decided to order a new item this week, and it arrives with what appears to be light weight almost plastic zipper pulls and zipper?!? When did LV switch to this cheap hardware? I’m totally turned off by this. I’m confused help lol

Okay - so I’ve taken a long break from Louis Vuitton. Probably 3-4 years. I decided to order a new item this week, and it arrives with what appears to be light weight almost plastic zipper pulls and zipper?!? When did LV switch to this cheap hardware? I’m totally turned off by this. I’m confused help lol
I've noticed that too with a lot of the premier designers. Vintage bags are so much more durable and seemingly have higher quality materials and components. It's kind of crazy given how much the retail prices have inflated in the past 5 years. :/

What bag did you order?

Reactions: bugn
LV makes great, durable bags. For Pete’s sake there is a thread here about people putting their LV bags in the washing machine. I have never had a bag—bar none—not cheaper, not more expensive, that I have used, abused, and carried and slung around for as many years and as many miles as my LV bags.

It wasn’t LV that put form before function, it was all of those people who complain that their vachetta doesn’t stay perfectly out-of-the-box pristine indefinitely who demanded it. They said vachetta scared them. (News flash kids, vachetta is tough as a tank, durable UN-treated leather. It isn’t meant to stay pristine.:smile:) So LV started removing our beloved vachetta from a lot of bags. Like Montsouris. :crybaby: So great bags that used to have vachetta at the stress points now do not. If you want a terrific LV, buy the tried and true classics in mono with vachetta at the wear points, (as they were designed 150 years ago) get over the fact that the vachetta changes color with use and enjoy LV quality which everyone says they desire, for many years to come.

LV makes great, durable bags. For Pete’s sake there is a thread here about people putting their LV bags in the washing machine. I have never had a bag—bar none—not cheaper, not more expensive, that I have used, abused, and carried and slung around for as many years and as many miles as my LV bags.

It wasn’t LV that put form before function, it was all of those people who complain that their vachetta doesn’t stay perfectly out-of-the-box pristine indefinitely who demanded it. They said vachetta scared them. (News flash kids, vachetta is tough as a tank, durable UN-treated leather. It isn’t meant to stay pristine.:smile:) So LV started removing our beloved vachetta from a lot of bags. Like Montsouris. :crybaby: So great bags that used to have vachetta at the stress points now do not. If you want a terrific LV, buy the tried and true classics in mono with vachetta at the wear points, (as they were designed 150 years ago) get over the fact that the vachetta changes color with use and enjoy LV quality which everyone says they desire, for many years to come.
Not sure if you are responding to my mail. No where is vechetta mentioned in my post. Bag is subject to wear and tear and I have no complains that my heavily used Chanel lambskin wallet with wears at the corner cos that is how it is over time. But to have canvas prints wearing off when a bag is lightly used is not acceptable. I am still curious why my beaten ( and squashed in a corner) vintage bucket bag has no scratches nor wear on the canvas while a newer, lightly used bag stored properly in a dust bag shows wear on the canvas so quickly.

Reactions: Ririy and Etriers