Louis Vuitton Launches $961 Covid Face Shields

Jan 21, 2013
Yay or nay? :nuts::shocked:

Get your PPE with a side of extreme luxury.
BY EMILY KIRKPATRICK
SEPTEMBER 11, 2020
Image may contain Clothing Apparel Human Person Electronics Headphones and Headset

COURTESY OF LOUIS VUITTON

Now that face masks and shields are officially a part of our everyday outfits for the foreseeable future, it makes sense that luxury designers would want to cash-in on the biggest accessory trend to come out of the pandemic. A number of brands have already made the foray into fancy masks, but Louis Vuitton is the first to offer a high-fashion face shield, with the price tag to match.

The French fashion house announced this week that it will be releasing its elegant $961 take on PPE as part of the label's 2021 Cruise collection, available in stores worldwide on October 30th. The shield is composed of an elastic monogrammed strap that goes around the wearer's head with a moveable shield attached by golden studs engraved with the LV logo. The shield itself also comes trimmed in Vuitton's signature monogram print, can be flipped upwards to be worn as a peaked hat, and also comes with transition lens technology so it can go from clear to dark depending on the level of sunlight.

A press release announcing the shield describes it as “an eye-catching headpiece, both stylish and protective.” And once cities are allowed to safely have in-person runway shows again, these LV Shields are almost guaranteed to be the must-have accessory of fashion week. But if the brand really wants to kick their luxury PPE offerings up a notch, maybe they should also consider consulting the Indian man who made a $4,000 solid gold face mask for their Spring/Summer 2021 line.

I wear medical-grade PPE all day when I'm in surgery and these items barely hold up to rigorous wear and tear/cleaning. I can't imagine how this ridiculous $1,000 item will withstand cleaning agents. The last thing I want to do after I leave work is to wear it again...in designer style, nonetheless...... an idea in truly poor taste!!