Louis Vuitton Ellipse - Size? Crossbody? How much is a fair price? Should I get it?

Feb 4, 2012
I think I am mesmerized by the Ellipse shape..... Just like how I am obsessed with Alma. This is such a special shape!!! Haven't seen it anywhere else.... And I literally can't stop staring at the pictures. I WANT ONE.

Okay, so now the question is:

- What size? PM vs. MM (found a couple posts on this but want to hear new ideas again)
- Does this look good cross body?
- Is this a good everyday/travel bag?

And the most important thing: How much is a fair price pre-loved one?? Pm and MM I guess.....

Also the mini ellipse.... SOOO cute. Really want one too.

The problem is to locate preloved ones that are in excellent condition. I am slightly bothered by owning something someone touched extensively before -- too bad this bag is discontinued!!!!

Ladies, tell me what you think :smile::smile: You ladies are the best consultants.

Reactions: Reader80
Love this shape as well, this is such a beautiful bag. Yet another that when I first took a glimpse at it I thought I didn't like it but the more I look at it, it draws me in. I think it would look great cross body!!! But like you, I have a very hard time doing the pre-loved buying & my hubby is completely opposed to it! I wish you all the best in finding what your heart desires!!!

Oo I love the ellipse too!!! I have a mono alma and I'm worried that they will look too similar.... You know... Structured shape in the mono canvas? Lmk what you end up doing!! I'd love to see modeling pix :smile:

I have a mono Ellipse PM. Really cute bag and I get compliments on it. I haven't tried wearing it with a shoulder/crossbody strap - I like it as a handbag. It's a great little bag and you don't see them everywere.

I wear mine pretty casually - like I would a speedy 25.

I have both the PM and the MM and actually am carrying the MM today...both bags I have a shoulder strap the pm has the canvas and the mm has the adjustable Vuitton leather strap but I wouldn't use either of them cross bodied as I am of average height and weight...however my daughter who is very petite borrows the pm from time to time and she has worn it cross bodied and it looks rather cute and trendy...but IMO neither are large enough to use as a travel bag...Good luck with your search and I hope you find the perfect bag...

I think I am mesmerized by the Ellipse shape..... Just like how I am obsessed with Alma. This is such a special shape!!! Haven't seen it anywhere else.... And I literally can't stop staring at the pictures. I WANT ONE.

Okay, so now the question is:

- What size? PM vs. MM (found a couple posts on this but want to hear new ideas again)
- Does this look good cross body?
- Is this a good everyday/travel bag?

And the most important thing: How much is a fair price pre-loved one?? Pm and MM I guess.....

Also the mini ellipse.... SOOO cute. Really want one too.

The problem is to locate preloved ones that are in excellent condition. I am slightly bothered by owning something someone touched extensively before -- too bad this bag is discontinued!!!!

Ladies, tell me what you think :smile::smile: You ladies are the best consultants.
IMO: the Ellipse PM or MM is not a good size bag for travel. But love it for everyday use. Chic and cute at the same time. Am on the hunt for the mini ellipse. I love the shape that much!

I have the Ellipse PM with a mono strap and have always loved it's special shape. I like to have my hands free at times, so I had to get the strap.

I have a question, though, for you ladies who carry the Ellipse these days. I just got back from a week in Vegas and I carried my Ellipse with my shoulder strap. We visited 4 LV Boutiques, and I'm not sure if I was imagining it or not, but I thought I was getting eyeballed by the SAs and not in a good way. With other LV bags, there has always been a comment, nice bag, or I always liked that bag, or something complimentary. This time, I was literally looked up and down with my Ellipse (which also has a Swing Dore charm hanging from it), and no comment at all, or even an offer of assistance. The first time it happened, I figured it was just that particular SA, but all of them? The two that did offer assistance were very nice, but did not acknowledge the bag. Did they think it was fake because it had a mono strap? Mind you, I am over 50 and dressed well, nice jewelry, even wore my Louboutins a couple of times, so it wasn't like I was grungy.

I guess I'm wondering if the SAs are so new that they don't recognize the Ellipse as one of their previous styles and assume it's fake. Anyway, it was an odd experience, especially since I got the Ellipse at the Caesar's LV in 2008...it's not THAT old. It's still my favorite shape, anyway!

I have the Ellipse PM with a mono strap and have always loved it's special shape. I like to have my hands free at times, so I had to get the strap.

I have a question, though, for you ladies who carry the Ellipse these days. I just got back from a week in Vegas and I carried my Ellipse with my shoulder strap. We visited 4 LV Boutiques, and I'm not sure if I was imagining it or not, but I thought I was getting eyeballed by the SAs and not in a good way. With other LV bags, there has always been a comment, nice bag, or I always liked that bag, or something complimentary. This time, I was literally looked up and down with my Ellipse (which also has a Swing Dore charm hanging from it), and no comment at all, or even an offer of assistance. The first time it happened, I figured it was just that particular SA, but all of them? The two that did offer assistance were very nice, but did not acknowledge the bag. Did they think it was fake because it had a mono strap? Mind you, I am over 50 and dressed well, nice jewelry, even wore my Louboutins a couple of times, so it wasn't like I was grungy.

I guess I'm wondering if the SAs are so new that they don't recognize the Ellipse as one of their previous styles and assume it's fake. Anyway, it was an odd experience, especially since I got the Ellipse at the Caesar's LV in 2008...it's not THAT old. It's still my favorite shape, anyway!

Geez. That's rotten. I can't believe they would eyeball you like that. When was it discontinued, anyway?

I think it's a WONDERFUL bag. Such a great, classy shape. MM would be my choice.

I have the Ellipse PM but don't use it much. The one pocket it has is small and does not completely fit my iPhone. I don't think it would be too functional traveling but I guess it depends on how you will use it. I do not have a strap for mine. I probably need to use it more! It is a cute bag...

Mine is from 2001, cant remember when i bought it though...The ellipse was a hugely popular style back when, tons of pics of Madonna carrying it. I am surprised they would not recognize it. If not, they should still be able to recognize the craftsmanship ie stitching, leather as authentic..does not make me feel confident about the SA's....I've never had a SA compliment me on a bag but had other customers in the store compliment me..

I just bought a preloved ellipse mm for my mom for xmas. I paid $328 usd incl. shipping. I purchased from ebay from a seller that i bought my epi noe from. My goal was to spend under $300 usd, but all of the bidding auctioned went waay beyond that (into $400 territory), so i opted for a buy it now. I cant wait to get it in the mail!!! Shipped out yesterday.

I just bought a preloved ellipse mm for my mom for xmas. I paid $328 usd incl. shipping. I purchased from ebay from a seller that i bought my epi noe from. My goal was to spend under $300 usd, but all of the bidding auctioned went waay beyond that (into $400 territory), so i opted for a buy it now. I cant wait to get it in the mail!!! Shipped out yesterday.

Lucky mom! I know I paid under $350 for my pm (came with dustbag). It's such a cute bag. Congrats!

jhs216 said:
Geez. That's rotten. I can't believe they would eyeball you like that. When was it discontinued, anyway?

I think it's a WONDERFUL bag. Such a great, classy shape. MM would be my choice.

I know, it was a weird feeling because I could actually see them looking me up and down and looking at the bag, it wasn't even that subtle. Interestingly, it didn't happen at other non-LV designer boutiques.

I believe it was discontinued in 2011. I love mine, and hearing how many here like the shape, I'm surprised I don't see any being worn. Mostly Speedys and Neverfulls.

LVlvoe_bug said:
Mine is from 2001, cant remember when i bought it though...The ellipse was a hugely popular style back when, tons of pics of Madonna carrying it. I am surprised they would not recognize it. If not, they should still be able to recognize the craftsmanship ie stitching, leather as authentic..does not make me feel confident about the SA's....I've never had a SA compliment me on a bag but had other customers in the store compliment me..

I agree, the quality is easy to see and I would think easy for them to recognize. Maybe they just figured I wouldn't be a potential customer because I was carrying an "old" style? I don't know, no use trying to guess. I'm just going to carry what I love and appreciate our portable works of art!

Good luck to those looking for PMs and MMs, I hope you find them! I would like to find the mini, it's so cute, but impossible to find!