Louis Vuitton boutique authentication

dougdz1

Jul 27, 2012
Hi tpf members I have a concern and hopefuly I can get some answers here. I just visited my local lv boutique (valley fair mall, Santa Clara) to have my pre-loved lv cabas mezzo from fashionphile authenticated by them and the SA told me they wouldn't authenticate it. That, "we don't authenticate items from a third party company." I was very put off by this because I've always heard of other members and people taking their preloved items in and having them authenticated. I also asked him if he can't then would the manager possibly be able to and he also declined that request. I'm very confused, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

I've never gone into an LV store to get a pre-loved authenticated, but have had horrible customer service at Valley Fair every single time I've gone in. I have been ignore and glossed over by SA many times and have vowed to never purchase anything from that LV. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience there. You can have your item authenticated here, Addy, Lee and Submarine have been very helpful.

Hi tpf members I have a concern and hopefuly I can get some answers here. I just visited my local lv boutique (valley fair mall, Santa Clara) to have my pre-loved lv cabas mezzo from fashionphile authenticated by them and the SA told me they wouldn't authenticate it. That, "we don't authenticate items from a third party company." I was very put off by this because I've always heard of other members and people taking their preloved items in and having them authenticated. I also asked him if he can't then would the manager possibly be able to and he also declined that request. I'm very confused, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

No LV does not authenticate.. You can post the link here in the authenticate this thread.

I've never gone into an LV store to get a pre-loved authenticated, but have had horrible customer service at Valley Fair every single time I've gone in. I have been ignore and glossed over by SA many times and have vowed to never purchase anything from that LV. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience there. You can have your item authenticated here, Addy, Lee and Submarine have been very helpful.

Yeah that was my first time ever experiencing that. I've been ignored where I walk in and out without being approached but that I understood because it was busy and all the SA were busy helping other customers. I did have it authenticated on here but I just wanted to double check you know. :/

Some SA will and some not
And they won't give it in writing
If you send the bag for a tiny repair than they will authenticate and you will get an invoice with the word original after sale

Do you have the opportunity to visit an other store? A few years ago I tried the same - the first store said NO - the second one authenticated it for me. But of course only verbal.

Oh really? Has it always been like that or is it just recent?

It has always been the case, but as said below, you can send items in for repair and if they don't repair them they will be fake.

The reason they don't do it is because they don't want to entertain the risk of fakes; some SAs honestly wouldn't know the difference & the legal issue of if they authenticated something which turned out to be fake.

Do you have the opportunity to visit an other store? A few years ago I tried the same - the first store said NO - the second one authenticated it for me. But of course only verbal.

Yeah I'm thinking of going to the store in Carmel, ca both are equal distance from where I live, about an hour away.

Yeah that was my first time ever experiencing that. I've been ignored where I walk in and out without being approached but that I understood because it was busy and all the SA were busy helping other customers. I did have it authenticated on here but I just wanted to double check you know. :/
Addy and Lee are probably more versed in LV than any SA currently working at the boutique.

The SAs are not trained to authenticate so I wouldn't value their opinion that much. The stores don't authenticate (some SAs will do it as a courtesy to their clients) and it makes sense, how does it benefit them to help you out with a third party purchase? And if they say one thing and it turns out to be wrong, then they could be liable for giving misinformation. People have gone to LV and been told their real bags were fake just because they were vintage or discontinued.

If Addy and/or Lee said it was good, you're good. :tup:

I guess I am just lucky. Because I went into LV twice and asked them to "look over" the bag for me (and tell me whether it is authentic.) They always did so! (not necessarily willingly, but they did it.) You can also try caroldiva.com - she is awesome and fast. I tried to have it authenticated here (2x), each time was overlooked. So I just go with caroldiva.

They used to authenticate but also like most have said on here its at the discretion of the SA. One thing you can do to indirectly get your answer is to take it in and say you bought it pre loved and you need to have something (i.e zipper) repaired, they will take a look at it there and will tell you if they can or can't and if they cant they will tell you its not there product which is there way or saying its not authentic. Try doing that :smile:

Some SAs will and some SAs won't; it's as simple as that. You would never receive an official written authentication from LV. Just verbal if someone is willing to do it.

But the question remains .... the clue is in their job title ... Sales Associate .... so who would you trust: a SA or someone with a very experienced eye from the forum? SAs are not trained to authenticate, they are there to sell. So if TPF said authentic and an SA said 'fake' - who would you trust?

New SAs won't be familiar with discontined colours or styles so could easily make a mistake. Or if a current style has changed over the years then they may not be familiar with the original version and declare it fake in error.