Louis Vuitton and Nazis???

I always knew... Apparently the store had a sign in Paris that said "No Dogs & No Jews..." on the front door... (I don't know if its true or not don't quote me...) But LV has different owners now... I don't think it should matter...

WOW I didn't know this! so sad, but I'm glad that LVMH does not have the same views today, and we shouldn't boycott the label for the wrong decisions people made in the past. But really good to know.

I am pretty sure Mercedes developed the gas chambers.

Not sure about that.. But Hitler did commission Mercedes-Benz to build all of his vehicles during his reign. Ford, General Motors, General Electric, DuPont and Shell Oil all had business relations with Nazi Germany. Henry Ford had a personal relationship with Adolf Hitler. Henry Ford was a huge anti-semite and had great admiration for Hitler!

IBM developed a system to locate Jews via their bank accounts, travel records, etc and then developed a cataloging system to log each person going into concentration camps. The system also kept their status including date of death and length of time at the facility.

BMW also had Nazi connections.. The controlling share holder also owned a company that produced batteries for the Nazi War Machine, V-2 Rockets and U-Boats.

George Bush's Grandfather even had financial dealings with Nazi Germany..

Companies have always profited from Wars, Suffrage, Tragedy and Death. They continue to profit to this very day.. One of the major U.S. based pharmaceutical companies made a profit of over 20 billion dollars during the disaster of hurricane Katrina.

we can't judge the companies back then. those were dark years and nobody knows under what circumstances they acted... what matters is that the world is over those beliefs now and the companies will not support such things...

the past is the past. LV is basically a new company having transformed itself.
People/companies did what they had to do to survive where they could.

The entire US Senate knew what what going on in Nazi Germany and did nothing. In fact, a slur was even used by a Senator during a speech givin (begins with a k***). He had the option of striking it out of the official records of the day - and did not.

So, in the spirit of living in a free country, let's enjoy our bags, drive our cars and bring a happy and peaceful spirit to the world.

I personally have seen a black and white photgraph outside the Vuitton estate taken during the war. "Pas des chiens ou juifs" (No dogs or Jews,"
Never mind it happened a long time ago. It happened, let's not forget that.
Buy a handbag if you like but...don't forget!
'

Having signs like this, LV was only among many, maybe hundreds of other stores, too. A few years before the WWII started (and during the war) Jewish people weren't practicly allowed to go anywhere. Not to schools, cafes, shops.. It's crazy.

I had no idea about LV-Nazi connection, although I had heard about Coco Chanel hobnobbing with Nazis and being somewhat of an anti-Semite.

I think overall, there is no point shunning a company for its past. Standard Oil did a lot of terrible things, do we stop buying gas from Exxon/Chevron-Texaco ?

Now if these corporations are still involved with oppressives regimes, I'd stay away from their products (sometimes I feel conflicted about buying goods from China, etc)

Wow! is all I can say, I am shocked, actually horrified that Noorah1 has seen real evidence of this!
However, where is the good in carrying anger & resentment? it only hurts the one who carries it! I am not condoning what they did, it is despicable! Nor am I making excuses for myself so that I can continue to buy LV, I just don't see the point of carrying ill feeling from the past into the future! Everyone makes mistakes, to forgive & forget is the only way forward for all of us. LV is not rascist at the moment & that is what is relevant, living in the past only revialises old hatred & leads to renewed wars! In my personal life I have found it hard to forgive people who have hurt me but I have come to understand that only hurts me & not the perpetrator & I am trying hard to let go of that, it really is the only way to find personal peace. I cannot see anything to be gained from blaming the present Vuitton generation for the sins of their forefathers. We only have the NOW, tomorrow is not ours & yesterday is gone forever!

It's sad to learn the past of a brand from previous owners. It's not like we all go to CVS pharmacy and reasearch all the presciption brands and see if they were affiliated with the whole Nazi thing or if they did their part in proving aid for the Katrina disaster. Or go to SAKS and do the same for every brand. By all means I dont condone the acts of the Nazis... Such a sensative subject...

Last edited:
I always knew... Apparently the store had a sign in Paris that said "No Dogs & No Jews..." on the front door... (I don't know if its true or not don't quote me...) But LV has different owners now... I don't think it should matter...

I dont know about that, HOWEVER, if you "wikipedia" Louis Vuitton, you may be surprised with what you read! It's kinda shocking but good to know that that's not how they do business these days!

marc jacobs is jewish so it's the best revenge yeah!
old.gif

well said! go jews!!!!