Louboutin wants to go cheap(er)?

hm... that's easy, don't price them that high.

Totally agree. Take these beauties for example: I don't know why they retailed for $1,630, at least according to the out*net that's the price.

68934_in_l.jpg

^^ i believe part of that shoe is either ostrich or croc... hence the higher price point.

Thanks for that info. I could never figure out why that shoe is so darned pricey.

Here's the description from out*net (good lord, all the typos):

Up you style kudos! Light-brown calf leather moccasins with a square heel that measures approximately 50mm / 2 inches. http://www.theoutnet.com/Shop/Designers/Christian_LouboutinChristian Louboutin moccasins have a crocodile-effect toe, contrast stitch detailing, a buckle fastening strap across toe, a signature red sole and simply slip on.

*All* the premier designers would need to reduce prices. That's not going to happen.

Realistically, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the classics at a stable, somewhat affordable price point.

Shoes have gotten crazy expensive lately, though. You used to be able to get a nice pair 5 years ago for $500. Now it is $700 and $800 minimum. *sigh*

My interpretation of what he said is that he wishes every woman had the money to afford his shoes, not that they should or could be cheaper.

I, too, remember before the hype when they were pricey but not outrageous. That's when I really developed my collection ... now I don't even think about buying retail Louboutins.

Thanks for that info. I could never figure out why that shoe is so darned pricey.

Here's the description from out*net (good lord, all the typos):

Up you style kudos! Light-brown calf leather moccasins with a square heel that measures approximately 50mm / 2 inches. http://www.theoutnet.com/Shop/Designers/Christian_LouboutinChristian Louboutin moccasins have a crocodile-effect toe, contrast stitch detailing, a buckle fastening strap across toe, a signature red sole and simply slip on.

Maybe that's just the Outnet staff being as clueless as some SAs out there... I don't think Msr. would use ANYTHING even remotely fake. So if it looks like it's crocodile, it almost completely assuredly is.

I read the interview in question - no, he's not going to go down with prices, same as he'd never design for H&M. The point was that he's sorry not every woman can afford his shoes. He was stating a fact, not announcing a change in strategy.

I would personally hate him to go down with prices, because you cannot without compromising quality. If I wanted design without the price tag, I'd go for the "it's partly leather, partly plastic, but it looks nice" Aldo shoes for 60 eur.

I read the interview in question - no, he's not going to go down with prices, same as he'd never design for H&M. The point was that he's sorry not every woman can afford his shoes. He was stating a fact, not announcing a change in strategy.

I would personally hate him to go down with prices, because you cannot without compromising quality. If I wanted design without the price tag, I'd go for the "it's partly leather, partly plastic, but it looks nice" Aldo shoes for 60 eur.

Totally agreed. The price charged is related to, above all, the high quality materials and work put into it. That's what CLs are most famous for. In order for the prices to go down, something would need to be compromised.
Once, in Oprah, I saw a representative of CL saying that every and each shoe is hand made. Just by that fact, the shoes need to be expensive. To reduce the price, there's no other way than massive production, what would completely destroy the brand and its image.

I personally think that will never happen. Mr. L was just being nice. Everybody can just relax.:tispy:

My interpretation of what he said is that he wishes every woman had the money to afford his shoes, not that they should or could be cheaper.

I agree - that is what I took from it as well. I was just speaking hypothetically that if he could lower the price without compromising the quality I would not feel cheated at all.

I also think that most designer shoes could go cheaper and still maintain quality, but I certainly don't expect them to drop the price and I am certainly not boycotting them because they won't! :P

Hypothetically (to everyone), if Louboutin were to do a cheaper line, would you feel that the value of your high-end CL's would be cheapened as well?

If I am honest with myself, I think I would feel like they were. I am paying for quality but I would be lying if I didn't say that I am also paying for the brand.

I also think that most designer shoes could go cheaper and still maintain quality, but I certainly don't expect them to drop the price and I am certainly not boycotting them because they won't! :P

They surely could. There's obviously a huge markup, which is where the profit margin comes in.

IHypothetically (to everyone), if Louboutin were to do a cheaper line, would you feel that the value of your high-end CL's would be cheapened as well?

If I am honest with myself, I think I would feel like they were. I am paying for quality but I would be lying if I didn't say that I am also paying for the brand.

Wouldn't bother me at all, but there was a thread a while ago discussing this possibility when Jimmy Choo did his line for H&M, and most everyone hated the idea.

ETA:

Maybe that's just the Outnet staff being as clueless as some SAs out there... I don't think Msr. would use ANYTHING even remotely fake. So if it looks like it's crocodile, it almost completely assuredly is.

Hmm. That's interesting. I've never thought of embossed leather as "fake" X, Y, or Z -- more like a finish.

Last edited:
Hmm. That's interesting. I've never thought of embossed leather as "fake" X, Y, or Z -- more like a finish.

Embossed leather is usually used to give the appearance premium materials, like exotics, without the cost. In other words, they're used to make an inexpensive shoe/purse/belt/etc mimic the appearance of higher end goods.

To me, this is more in the vein of stores like Express putting out clothes that are "inspired" by premium designers' lines than direct knockoffs. That said, it's still deliberately modifying a cheaper material to look like a more expensive one--so in that sense it is "fake" (although faux would probably be a more semantically correct term).