Lots of INFO 4 U - Hermès Tanneries and leather availability

So the stories we hear of this one old guy working for H being the only one who knows how to make/produce barenia leather is a myth? And if Degermann has a huge supply of barenia leather, I'm marching straight back to FSH and demanding to know why I can't SO a barenia birkin!!:P

Not sure how much Barenia Degermann has available, but it sounded like I would've had no problem purchasing 1 hide! What was so amazing to me throughout this research, was how inexpensive these leathers really are - I think at almost all these tanneries, one hide would be about $250-300 (possibly including shipping). And that's for about 22 square feet. Even if you figure the majority of the hide being waste because only part of it is useable quality (and I don't know if that's actually the case with the calfskins - I think it's moreso with lamb), that's still a lot of leather. For those of you who own Birkins or Kellys, how many square feet of leather could really be needed for one purse? (I ask rhetorically :smile: )

Happen to stumble on this thread and thought I'd share...

In July this year, I was looking for upholstery leather and found a large wholesaler in Kensington, Melbourne. I paid them a visit and to my delight (and somewhat disbelief), they stocked a hide that was very much similar to clemence IMHO - "Latini" from Brazil.

I realised that I was giving the colours H names as I flipped through the swatches - etoupe (perfect match, I brought home the swatch), gris T, raisin, parchemin, cafe/chocolate, blue de prusse...The only difference is that the skin was thinner than H's.

Cost? AUD 36/square meter. There were even some colours that were on sale for $20/sqm. I placed an order for a colour that was not in stock and was able to return to the warehouse in two days to select from 3 different hides. The material was almost perfect albeit a few nicks and the "crumpled" belly part of the skin that had excessive veining

Recently, there was news that H had begun procuring porosus skins from Australia.

A quick Google revealed that the belly skin of Crocodylus Porosus from a farm in Darwin costs AUD 1,548 (USD 1,355 at today's exchange rate of AUD 1 = USD 0.8748) for a hide of 86cm width and 323cm length.

And to answer amargulies' question, a 35B requires approx 0.8sqm / 8.8sqft of leather inclusive of lining... I couldn't stop myself from doing the math :P

All that aside, I'm still in love with H and will continue collecting... :biggrin:

Perlinger Lederfabrik in Germany does Togo shrunken calf for Hermès http://www.perlinger-leder.de

Meanwhile Aarenes Leatherfactory http://www.aarenes.no do shrunken adult bull for both H and Loro Piana, resulting in Fjord.

Thanks for your information, but you got wrong informations.
Perlinger is known as H tannery but it's not.
Some Japanese sellers made these rumor to increase their sales volume.
The tannery is such a small tannery , only 3~4 person working in the tannery.
If they do supply their leather to H, I'm sure it just very small quantity.
Mainly, Weinheimer leder in Germany , is producing TOGO leather for H but also, one in France.
They don't sell small quantity.

For more information,

Tannerie Du puy : Negonda
Megisserie Hervy : Lambskin
Tannerie Roux : Swift, Epsom
Remy Carriat : Clemence
Tannerie Haas : Barenia,Boxcalf,Caviar for Chanel
Megisserie Jullien :Mysore
HCP : Exotic
Tannerie d'Annonay : Definitely, producing some for H cuz H onws the tannery.

Last edited:
Not sure how much Barenia Degermann has available, but it sounded like I would've had no problem purchasing 1 hide! What was so amazing to me throughout this research, was how inexpensive these leathers really are - I think at almost all these tanneries, one hide would be about $250-300 (possibly including shipping). And that's for about 22 square feet. Even if you figure the majority of the hide being waste because only part of it is useable quality (and I don't know if that's actually the case with the calfskins - I think it's moreso with lamb), that's still a lot of leather. For those of you who own Birkins or Kellys, how many square feet of leather could really be needed for one purse? (I ask rhetorically :smile: )

Thank you so much for putting together this information - I've always been curious about Hermes tanneries - even pored through their annual report to get the list but anecdotes about actually dealing with them for a purchase is invaluable.

As for the cost of the leather, here's something related. A Kelly in 1985 used to sell for about $700 in Paris. If we inflation adjust that to today's prices, that's $1500!!! If we are more generous and assume that inflation for luxury materials and labour increases more, we can tack on a whopping premium and still get to about $3000. Clearly there's a lot going on with Hermes that has precisely nothing to do with raw material cost.

Reactions: keodi